Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: FTTC Modem Question  (Read 39449 times)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC Modem Question
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »

Yes indeed:

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=160331215914-9522.png

oooh-err  - I did 2 to make sure it wasnt a one off.

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=160331222132-6507.png

and it got even better :D

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=160331222829-412.png

For comparison

Wow :o those speeds are impressive!

Love this forum, always get help from great people whenever I have questions that need answering.

Thank you all!

First time I've used this site for speed tests...

I'm impressed!

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=160331224938-8225.png

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »

IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps

My sync speeds should be similar to these right?

With an IP profile of 77.44 that means you are syncing at full 80/20. 

The IPprofile is calculated as being sync speed minus an allowance for overheads. 
The allowance can change very slightly depending upon the framing paramenters set on your line, but IPprofile is usually somewhere in the 96.6% - 96.8% range of your sync.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »

Spoke too soon  :no:

Looks like removing the RJ11 cable the other day has upset DLM. Just got in from work and seen pings increase to 20ms.

Interleaving looks like it's been applied. How long before it corrects itself on average?

Cheers,
Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »

Anyone know how long it usually takes for DLM to make positive changes, all being well with the connection with little to no errors I presume?

I think pulling the cable must have caused quite a few errors, hence interleaving being applied.

Sorry if I sound stupid at times, it's been a few years since even looking into the technical side of FTTC.

Cheers,
Josh

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »

I doubt a single cable pull would have done it, there's most likely other factors at play. If it is interleaved I doubt it will stay that way for long as you should get G.INP soon, without G.INP it could take weeks, months or stay like it.

You really need a modem where you can get stats and see what's going on.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:31:49 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »

I doubt a single cable pull would have done it, there's most likely other factors at play. If it is interleaved I doubt it will stay that way for long as you should get G.INP soon, without G.INP it could take weeks, months or stay like it.

You really need a modem where you can get stats and see what's going on.

It was a couple, 3 disconnections in total within 24 hour. A couple of them was cable pulls. We have had some plaster work done so one had to be done then the other two was when testing out the two different modems, to see which had better results. I quess they have different chipsets also so that could have upsetted the connection also. Also only gave it 5 mins inbetween the first two times before learning it should be left for 30 mins.

I had an unlocked HG612, I sold this for a decent price because I have a ECI cab so wanted the best compatibility. I do plan on getting a DrayTek in the near future.

Cheers,
Josh

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »

Don't be too concerned . . . Just be patient and see what happens.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:32 AM »

Still no changes  :fingers:

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »

Got some good news today,

After all the trouble I had with my old connection at the first house, I got to know one of the Engineers quite well. anyway I got a new job in retail and found out his wife worked at the same place and he recognised me, whenever I see him shopping I always joke around and say I have a quick question, he responds with "Oh god what now" haha.

Well I saw him again today and explained I'd move house and interleaving had kicked in on the line, most likely due to my error of pulling the cable and 3 disconnections within 24 hour.

I asked him how long it would take for DLM to f off... He just laughed and said "it could be months". He told me to unplug everything and leave it a good 20 mins and it could solve it, I said isn't that just the same as dropping the PPP session from the router and not the modem he replied, yeah but it doesn't always work with just the one.

He said what I can do is reset DLM in the morning while I'm at the exchange and asked for my telephone number, if he keeps his word and I'm sure he will, all could be sorted in the morning, even said he's going to ring me.

What a guy!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:58:04 PM by JoshShep »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »

Is it just me or do this not add up? So the DLM reset didn't go through the Engineer said he did do it but anyhoo, I've plugged the rebranded HH5 (One Hub) in this morning to and pulled these stats up the sync speeds do not match?  ???

How does the line look in general guys? And is there anyway on getting error stats up using this modem?

Cheers!

[Moderator edited to crop and resize the attached image.]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:16:19 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »

I'm not getting involved in the stats, other better placed folk will probably do that ........ I'll just comment on your query, "Is it just me or do this not add up? So the DLM reset didn't go through the Engineer said he did do it but anyhoo".

He may very well have requested a DLM reset, but if the profile was already at 'full open' (128Kbps-80Mbps) the DLM might not trigger as it wouldn't have anything to gain. I only found out this nugget of info myself the other day from one of the techs at our Diagnostic Centre of Excellence.

It answered my wonderment at why I have been waiting for the modem/router to drop on certain jobs I've attended in the past, to no avail. Just for info purposes.  :)

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »

He may very well have requested a DLM reset,

A DLM reset on g.inp lines causes interleaving to be applied by default.

Quote from: Ian Lawrence
If a line is reset then it will initially move back to interleaved downstream and fast mode upstream. Retransmission will be applied again after a few days.

Link: Openreach & G.INP

It´s a test signature

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys, what is really confusing me is why do I have two data rates and which one is correct? How does the line look in general and I really want to know is there anyway on getting errors stats displayed on this modem?

Thank you!

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »

To be honest all I want is for Interleaving to bugger off! I can't see why it needs to be on and why is hasn't gone yet, makes no sense, the only think I can think is, a few weeks ago when we first got the keys for the new house, we were all still staying at the old property. I hooked everything up using the re branded HH5 (Hub One) and all was good rock solid connection whist at the house left it connected for a good few weeks, and when we moved in I wasn't very happy with the wireless... So I put the ECI modem back in and used my ASUS RT-AC68U (amazing range and speed imo) and a few days later DLM decided to add interleaving and my speeds on tests seemed slower, and at this moment nothing has changed. Is it possible G.INP is only compatible with the HH5 and that's why DLM has messed things up? Or is it just the way this connection is going to be now. I know it's hard to tell when we can't see what errors are on the line but can't help but scratch my head...

Oh and the Hub One is still connected and will keep it that way until things improve

Thank you all
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:16:35 PM by JoshShep »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »

Morning, well I had a modem reboot just under an hour ago, I believe that could have been the Engineer. He said he was going to try again today for me, he could't yesterday as he was off site. Here are the current stats.

Can I ask why you think I'm not syncing at the full 79999 with this attainable rate?

And again if you look at the other screen shot, why do I have two different sync rates;

Data rate:   20000 / 79462

Downstream:   77.6 Mbps
Upstream:   19.53 Mbps

Or am I just missing something here?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

anything