Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DFS 'willing' Router's  (Read 5384 times)

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
DFS 'willing' Router's
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »

Hi Folks,

Right, I've had a bit of a dilemma over past 18 months with home wireless equipment, reasons mainly are either wireless router not strong enough to get through walls or wireless router won't use less/non congested wireless channels (both 2G & 5G), various faults/bugs with routers/firmware and now bad configuration (wireless channels/regions)

A brief bit of kit history, moved into new flat in December, had BT Infinity installed at end of January, started using HH5B, wireless wasn't too bad but kept using same channels as other 3 neighbors above, below and to the right so had to set it manually, then started to miss my guest network from previous network configs and HH5 was faulty, so BT sent a new HH5 but during that time I'd replaced the HH5 with a VR900...

VR900 was very good, wireless used non congested DFS channels 100 - 112, range was good too, however there was a firmware fault which made it broadcast randoms sequences of dots and dashs to devices DNS causing them to lose connection to web... sent it back... all this messing on DSL now had upset DLM... so put my old HG612 on the wall so it wouldn't be interrupted anymore.

I then brought a Archer C9 as it was basically the VR900 minus the VDSL modem, it don't have the same problem and works well... if it's setup as American!

If I set it up as in United Kingdom or Europe it will only use channel 36 - 48 which is being used by 2 HH5's and a TalkTalk router, also range is pants.... setting it up as American is great, the range will go to opposite end of apartment block :D... however this is against spectrum regulations and I'm aware that I should be applying for a license from Ofcom to use the band which will be refused as it's supposed to be used in direct connections only and not for Access Point type use.

So this will probably end up going back too...

Does anybody currently own a router, have it set to auto channel and it currently uses 100 or above.... I'm really sick of rubbish wifi now, and not willing to relocated to the US to get some decent range.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: DFS 'willing' Router's
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »

Just delete this post leave it as American and go for plausible deniability  :D

get another VR900 and set it as router only?

Seemed to be working great apart from the modem from what you said.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:26 PM »

I am currently using a TP-LINK Archer VR900, with the latest firmware image, and have no problems with the 5 GHz WiFi band.

Firmware Version:0.9.1 1.3 v004c.0 Build 151210 Rel.60969n            Hardware Version:Archer VR900 v1 00000000
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:14:08 AM »

Sorry maybe I should of been clearer...

The VR900 had great WiFi and Modem... the router was the problem.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:14:38 AM »

I am currently using a TP-LINK Archer VR900, with the latest firmware image, and have no problems with the 5 GHz WiFi band.

Firmware Version:0.9.1 1.3 v004c.0 Build 151210 Rel.60969n            Hardware Version:Archer VR900 v1 00000000

What channel is your 5Ghz band currently using?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »

My zyxel Nwa3560-N should presumably handle those channels, I haven't tried it.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »

Not fast enough unfortunately  :(

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »

My ZyXEL VMG8924 lists channels 100 - 112 - 80 MHz width with max rate of 1300Mbps. The wireless connectivity appears to be very good, I can stream 1080p video to my TV at the opposite end/side of the house with no issues.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »

What channel is your 5Ghz band currently using?

It is configured to automatically select the channel and, after checking, I see it had chosen channel 36.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »

Well my Archer C9 chooses 36 when I hae it set to UK/EU and then struggles to get signal thorugh flat and then sits on that channel with another 2 access points....

However switch it to US and it straight away switches to 149, then the signal is really strong thorughout and beyond the flat, it seems that TP-Links configuration on this model is flawed and not been programmed correctly to support channels 100 - 128/140....

I did some experimenting with BT's HH5b last night and whilst I could set the channel manaully to 116 I couldn't just replace the C9 with it, I would lose router performance and also my guest network, I would also have the trouble of the BT WiFi hotspots being accessble by others and based on what I can get out my neighbours connection I'm not too happy about that (I though it was a tiny percentage of sync allocated)

My main issue with using the C9 with US settings was that my iMac's won't connect to any 5Ghz channels above 140 due to its country code restrictions, I've been unable to change this on my 2009 model iMac which features an Atheros 2x2 abgn card but may be able to change the country code on my 2012 iMac which features a 3x3 abgn Broadcom card, I've not tried it yet though, and the 2012 is currently hardwired....

However I got a free T4UH adapter with my C9 and after installing that I can now use the 5Ghz band on my network, I plan to buy a AV2 1200 powerline adapter to add too the existing 1200Mb/s network in my flat so I should be able to turn the WiFi off on my 2009 iMac and maybe some others things then.

My concern currently though is for the people that are being lead to beleive 5Ghz has loads of space for there usage and thanks to inept manufacturers this isn't the case, atleast the UK's ISP's aren't as stupid (though BT's HH5 might need a tweak)

Virgin's SH2/2ac & presumably 3 have always had the capability to use channels above 36-48, and they seem to do this automatically or even preffer it.

BT's HH5 in my experiance does support the channels but to mine and BT tech' suprise seems to stay sat on 36-48 until manaully set, even in an environment that BT said should see the 'smart wireless' change the channels to a higher one like 52/100 to avoid the 3 others network sitting on the same channel (all BT HH5's), I just hope that this is something BT are aware of and will fix at some point.

My neighbours TalkTalk router seems to have chosen channels 100 -112 to avoid congested channels, so TalkTalk's router not so stupid either.

It might also be time for Ofcom to consider changes to the specturm allowances so that router manufacturers can use more/full potential of WiFi chips capabilities.