Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Identified my interferer but what is it?  (Read 6926 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Identified my interferer but what is it?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 09:12:10 PM »

I really don't know what to do for the best.

Don't make any other changes to the circuit. Please let it operate in that state for the next 24 hours. WWWombat will look and think and . . .   :)

I'm afraid my superpowers are waning... though being on a narrowboat, with limited access and the fact I can't get on MDWS this way may be more effective than kryptonite.

The original impact is strange - that UnCorr happen in such a patterned way suggests, perhaps, a modem artifact, rather than a noise impact. I really need to correlate all the (error) graphs at once to say more.

The later impact, where errors don't appear with the lower sync, is the conventional expectation.

To @maybecrazy - what should you do? I don't see anything critical either way, but the key thing to watch is the ES graph, making sure the ES total per 24hrs stays reasonable. A few hundred or less.

@b*cat For upstream noise margin, you always need to factor in any adjustments to the power too. I suspect that UPBO works by adjusting power relative to "excess" noise margin, at least when the package speed can be  achieved. I can't tell if that's the case here...

@anyone
The graphs for CRC vs UnCorr (on one of @maybecrazy's post above) are both described as "per min", but (in my mind) ought to end up as the same value. That UnCorr peaks at 60, while CRC peaks at 4 suggests that one isn't being converted from a "15 min" statistics value into a per minute value.

Thinking on from that, I recall that UnCorr are counted in the section on retransmission, while CRC probably come from the 15 minute bins that are in the --stats output. I wonder how the two raw values change over a 30 minute period, vs conversion into "per min" values.

maybecrazy

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 11:46:32 PM »

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread, it's been, erm, interesting !

It seems to me G.INP has been of absolutely no benefit to me what so ever, the way I see it it's made my line worse.

If we ever get offered FTTPoD at a reasonable cost I'll be at the front of the queue, this last mile copper or whatever it's called is such a lottery.

btw, I've attached a screenshot of today's mess.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 12:08:41 AM »

I see you have decide your sync rate is more important than stability and I don't blame you and seeing your MDWS there is no reason why your line could not perform like Roseways at 2.1dB and he has a load of crosstalkers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 12:40:18 AM »

This is crazy.   Just about every type of error rate is behaving exactly the opposite to what you would expect.   I dont think Ive ever seen anything quite like that before.  ???

Dont like the look of the jitter effect thats been picked up since last resync either.    I have seen similar to that before when a modem starts behaving silly after a power surge & outage (My Voyager 2100 was notorious for doing it if you flicked power off at the main fuse box or after power cuts.  It would jitter like that until I did a full modem power cycle again).
I'd certainly try a reboot to see if you can get rid of it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 01:38:22 AM »

As I am (usually) more interested in the physical infrastructure for a circuit, I will always take a look at the Hlog and QLN plots.

Reviewing the Hlog plot, I see nothing of significance. Even the rapid droop, at around tone 4000, does not cause concern.

However the QLN plot, with its "block-like" structure in the US segments and the very "fine fuzz" in the DS segments, has me puzzled. Could it be due to a defect with the modem? A defect with the DSLAM line-card?

All I can say, which is stating the obvious (a trait of Sybil Fawlty, whilst using the telephone when in full-gossip mode), is that something is definitely wrong!  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

maybecrazy

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »

Morning, just before midnight the 'jitter' disappeared as quickly as it appeared without intervention from myself and around 1am I changed the modem for a 2nd unlocked HG612 which I have as a backup, I guess this will at least eliminate modem problems.

DS attainable has increased and the DS SNRM increased slightly with the 2nd modem.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything