Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Identified my interferer but what is it?  (Read 6927 times)

maybecrazy

Identified my interferer but what is it?
« on: March 25, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »

My interferer is my immediate (semi-detached) neighbour,  please check my graph, the sudden drops are when they use their internet but I don't know if it's crosstalk or bad RFI from their PC or modem/router, the HG612 does hold on to sync even though the attainable drops below the sync.

Should I even be worried ?

The problem is they're not very approachable, the sort that won't even lift their head to say good morning !

Any advice would be welcome.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Identified my interferer but what is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »

That is a lot of DS errored seconds for a G.INP line I would not jump to the conclusion this is caused by your nextdoor neighbours those errors are just to intense for a crosstalker or RFI a line issue would be more like it.

There is a 18 minute cycle going on look at the G-Retransmit TX graph
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:35:00 PM by NewtronStar »

maybecrazy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »

Thanks for replying.

The sudden SNR drops are definitely caused the neighbours, they have just come back from 2 weeks away and there was not a single SNR drop during that 2 weeks.  Soon as they come back they start again. I've been monitoring this since I switched from Virgin over a year ago

They also both work so no drops during the day only evenings and weekends.

I agree the line is not perfect but I've had the ES ever since changing form Virgin, They have recently changed my original cabinet for a new one and for about a week I had regular resyncs but they eventually stopped and it settled again.

BTW G.INP was only activated this morning.

PS I only have basic knowledge of this stuff so most graphs don't mean alot to me :)

EDIT: Just noticed the G-Retransmit TX have only started happening since G.INP was activated this morning, so I can't see how that relates to SNR drops that have been happening since the beginning.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:48:01 PM by maybecrazy »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:41:11 PM »

BTW G.INP was only activated this morning.

When G.INP has become active on a line we normally see a sudden drop off of errored seconds but your line has not seen this, only at the times from 14:00 to 18:00 the errored seconds show up as zeros for a short time.

The only option for you would be a BT OR Rein team to investigate to see if this is coming from your neighbors, I very much doubt you could ask them to turn off all appliances and sit in the dark for 24 hours while you monitor your stats.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:49:26 PM by NewtronStar »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »

Given that you sync at the full 80/20 and your a) attainable is higher than this and b) your modem holds the sync even when your SNRM falls I wouldn't worry too much about this - apart from a matter of academic interest.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:02:27 PM »

I would agree with gt94sss2's comments.

Granted it is of interest to understand what is occurring but it is currently not service degrading. So if you did not have the ability to monitor the situation would you be aware, from ordinary service usage, that something is occurring?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

maybecrazy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »

I do agree about the monitoring comment but on the other hand how would anyone know when something was badly amiss without it :)

Even though the attainable drops below the sync during the SNRM falls ? Even though for example during this afternoons drop attainable was 72xxx this should not be a concern ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 11:21:15 PM »

in reality a 70s sync is great, my advice get over it, the real issue here is if any instability occurs which hopefully should not if you sync up when the SNRM is low.

On legacy intervealing corrected errors had a ongoing latency cost, on g.inp the cost is only when retransmit is used, this creates jitter tho but does keep base latency lower.  If # of retransmits is low then jitter hopefully shouldnt really be noticeable.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:38:14 PM »

I'm just amazed a line with 17.2dB attenuation has a sync so high must have very low crosstalk.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

in reality a 70s sync is great, my advice get over it, the real issue here is if any instability occurs which hopefully should not if you sync up when the SNRM is low.

On legacy intervealing corrected errors had a ongoing latency cost, on g.inp the cost is only when retransmit is used, this creates jitter tho but does keep base latency lower.  If # of retransmits is low then jitter hopefully shouldnt really be noticeable.

But Maybecrazy is also having G-Retransmit Uncorrected errors this is why they are seeing more errored seconds than normal with G.INP this is a cause of concern and compare it with my line
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:57:19 PM by NewtronStar »

maybecrazy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »

What is interesting about my G-Retransmit graph is the period either side of 16.00 which is mostly clear of G-Retransmit errors ties exactly with the drop of SNRM

So perhaps the suggestion of syncing when the SNRM drops would yield an altogether more stable connection ?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 12:13:02 AM »

What is interesting about my G-Retransmit graph is the period either side of 16.00 which is mostly clear of G-Retransmit errors ties exactly with the drop of SNRM

So perhaps the suggestion of syncing when the SNRM drops would yield an altogether more stable connection ?

That may help or even better turn off the FTTC modem for 8 hours and see how it looks tomorrow

maybecrazy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »

That may help or even better turn off the FTTC modem for 8 hours and see how it looks tomorrow

I'm willing to do that but why 8 hours, is that period of time significant in some way ?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 12:29:02 AM »

I'm willing to do that but why 8 hours, is that period of time significant in some way ?

I call it MSAN relaxing it's supposed to return the BRAS and other parameters back to the normal state if things have gone out of kilter, and no harm will be done by doing it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:34:51 AM by NewtronStar »

maybecrazy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 12:37:19 AM »

Thanks, going offline now :)

btw my line is approx 350m and the pic shows what the BT checker says.

Pages: [1] 2 3