Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice Required on Fibre Modem Router  (Read 6247 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Advice Required on Fibre Modem Router
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »

Yes GbE is really essential
There's always Ebay for a cheap 2nd hand BT HH5. These are locked to the BT network but if you're on Plusnet they will work there too. They work on TalkTalk as well where they don't use authentication.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »

And welcome to the forums, BigBunny!

BigBunny

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »

And welcome to the forums, BigBunny!

Thank you  :)

BigBunny

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »

Options at <£100 :-

• TP-Link TD-W9980. circa £75 at most places.  Dual Band wireless N 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. Lantiq chipset. Limited line stats and no monitoring.
  • Zyxel VMG8324. circa £55+VAT @ Eclipse.   2.4 GHz 11n (2x2). BCM chipset full line stats and monitoring.
  • TP-Link Archer VR200 - circa £80 at most places. Dual Band Wireless AC750. Lantiq VR9 chipset.
  • Zyxel VMG8924. £99 @Kcom Mytech. BCM chipset full line stats and monitoring.  Dual band wireless AC.
  • Thomson TG799VAC- circa £85. Wireless AC.

<SNIP>

TBH theres only 3 out of all of the above that I'd contemplate and the fact that I like to see line stats actually only narrows it down to 2..  but the choice is yours.

There are plenty of the 9980's around for just over £60.  I do like stats and years gone by I used to buy the Solwise routers and use the Routertech software that gave loads of information.  Eventually I ended up with a Plusnet ADSL router that wasn't locked down so you could still see the stats and could also get in via CLI, and also updated firmware.  It was with the 582N that I noticed they were virtually all locked down.  I digress.

Looked for the Zyxel and the first one in the list I can't find anywhere even on Amazon and ebay.  The only one I could find was the second and that was only on BB and they are out of stock.  I assume that these two have been replaced by later models.

However I have found the VR200 sold and fulfilled by Amazon for £64 that is a really good price as everywhere else it is between £78 and £84.  I tried to find a review in the brief time I had but could only find the VR200 so assume that it is too new. 

The Thomson I haven't looked at yet, but unless it has really something to offer then the VR200 looks a better option.

That is unless you know something I don't.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »

Zyxel and the first one in the list I can't find anywhere even on Amazon and ebay.

Last time I looked Eclipse was the cheapest place to buy them - £54.17 + VAT.    Just in case that link doesnt work - start here.   You dont have to be with eclipse to purchase - theres a couple of people on these forums who bought from there. 

years gone by I used to buy the Solwise routers and use the Routertech software that gave loads of information.

The VR200 has a lantiq chip, & doesnt do full line stats.  There isnt a right lot of info about them atm.  They may work with ejs's statPOSTer to get some more data.  I might try get my hands on one at some point to do a review, but I personally wouldnt keep it on my line, purely because of lack of linestats.   Its why I said  "theres only 3 out of all of the above that I'd contemplate and the fact that I like to see line stats actually only narrows it down to 2..  but the choice is yours."    

I didnt want to sway your decision - but you do seem to have very similar requirements to me..  and if you want to stick below £100 then the 2 Zyxels are the only ones that push my buttons.   If you want GbE, decent wireless N and linestats in an all-in-one box, then it about only leaves the Zyxels.  If youre not bothered about monitoring your line then the VR200 should be fine :)

The TG799VAC may also fit your requirements.   Thompson normally use their own CLI, which gives a lot more info than the tp-link cli...  and you can [usually] get them working  dslstats as long as they have BCM chips.    I dont think anyone has tried it yet though -link.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »

The VR200 should be basically the same as the 9980 but with low-end 11ac wireless. It has the same or similar DSL chip, but the VR200 has vectoring enabled firmware, whereas the 9980 does not. The config file trick should work on the 9980 and it might be possible to make it work in the VR200, then there are fairly comprehensive stats available, but they are not supported by the stats monitoring programs, so you'd have to create your own scripts or something like that.

You could also wait and see what the Broadcom based TP-Link VR600 will be priced, although of course it will start off at its highest price when it's launched.

BigBunny

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »

Just thought that I would update the thread on what I eventually did.  I listened to all of you and thank you for all of the advise and information.  I was able to get a second hand Zyxel VMG8924-B10A.  I say second hand as the seller stated that they had only taken it out of the box and it certainly looked that way as the only things missing was cables, and I have some of those so no problem. Even the front film was still in place.  Using Kitz instructions on configuring the VMG8324-B10A I got it up and going and currently using it to compose this post.  Looking at the specification etc I am impressed.

Now the only thing that I need to find out from is it worth updating from the 1.00(AAKL.6)_20150126 firmware installed.  I know that the latest on the Zyxel UK site is seven, but on the Italian site listed by Kitz for firmware there are two instances of V100AAKL10C0 one dated June and the other September 2015,  and then V100AAKL12C0 dated December 2015. In a posting by another elsewhere in the forum they mention V100AAKL11C0 however that is now in a folder named old stuff on the Italian site.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

Hi

The newest version is 13 available from here ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/

If all is working then no harm staying with what you have.

Best Regards

Phil

BigBunny

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »

After a couple of days or so it locked up and I did a reset to even be able to access it.  I then found that the ISP user was different to mine so must have reverted.  I restored from the configuration I had taken and then decided to update to the firmware I had downloaded previously, which was 12 and had no issues since.  I will probably update to 13 in due course.  I note that the Zip file for 13 includes a ROM.  Is there anything special that I need to know about that?
Pages: 1 [2]

anything