Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM Times  (Read 2077 times)

daveesh1

• Reg Member
DLM Times
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »

As we all see that DLM is a hot topic at the moment, just a quick question if we know  when does the 24HR monitoring period start is it Midnight or when you first sync the Modem/Router

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DLM Times
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »

Supposedly midnight.

Im not certain about the 15min bins.   
I saw something that implied they were tied to the clock too, but I wouldn't like say I was 100% certain.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »

I don't know. But I assume Kitz has to be right, because -thinking about it in terms of software design - I think it would be impossible or very costly for DLM to know when the modem synced or booted last.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:51:51 AM »

I think the 15 minute time period is part of the various G.993.2 and G.997.1 technical recommendations, which is why you'll often see that modems can show counters that cover the current 15 minutes and the previous 15 minutes.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »

Supposedly midnight.

Funnily enough I was about to ask the same thing.  I was hoping it would count from the last DLM intervention.  EG our line had a full reset around 1700 yesterday, so zillions of errors until DLM re-instated interleaving at 0455 this morning.  So midnight-midnight is going to include nearly five hours of non-interleaved stats, hopefully not enough to cause it to intervene again, but that looks marginal.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »

I'm a bit more certain about the midnight, because of the way it was described.

The only reason I hesitated over the 15 min bin is because my own router tends to show it from uptime, rather than to the current clock time...  but then again the DSLAM will be doing its own recording and gathering of stats for DLM.
This is why we err on the side of caution and say 30mins, just to ensure that the DLM sees at least one empty 15min bin to cover any discrepancies between the two methods. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »

Thanks guys that's great