Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Monitoring programs ECI Support?  (Read 11369 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Monitoring programs ECI Support?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
e.g. QLN, Hlog & SNR have average values for 8 tones grouped together, unlike a HG612 etc. that provides data per tone.
Can you apply some artistic license and use the average value for all 8 tones for graphing?

It looks like it already is, although the SNR data has been stretched by a factor of 2 along the x-axis.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »

Did you try the g997sang command for getting the SNR per tone? I expect the reason that the some of the data has been stored as averages for 8 tones is because that's how it's required to be sent to the other end when requested (G.993.2 11.4.1 - there's a maximum of 512 groups).

Every time I obtain the data using g997sang there are quite a few missing groups.
Assuming that means that my connection can't actually use anything those groups, I have added the groups with a value of zero for each of the 8 tones within the group.

The resulting graph isn't at all pretty (see attached).

Now, as when using "g997dsnrg 1 1", data is reported at the higher frequency groups that wasn't previously reported via my HG612 modem.

Considering my connection can't use these frequencies due to attenuation over 1100m or so of copper from the cabinet, I am starting to think there is some sort of error regarding SNR data (regardless of which command is used to obtain it).

Data for the other graphs looks reasonably similar to graphs from my HG612 (apart from Hlog which now shows a lot more at the higher frequencies than with the HG612).

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

I thought the g997sang data wasn't grouped, but it does skip the not measured values of 255. There also g997sansg which prints the data in a more compact format, although I'm not sure how useful that would be with the different bands of VDSL2.

The formula the convert the printed values to SNR is given in the source code for the dsl_cpe_control program, it's -32 + value/2.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 11:06:24 PM »

Using g997sansg for SNR & converting the hex data to decimal values, it still appears wrong when averaging 8 tones per group to make up all 4096 tones.

(See the attached individual SNR graph).

However, if I just use 4 tones per group for SNR i.e. 2048 tones in total, the output looks fairly similar to that produced via data from a HG612.

(See the attached montages).

Bitloading, QLN & Hlog graphs still use 8 tones per group in the ECI montage.

I'd still like to see the raw data from a connection that can use almost all 4096 tones (or at least some of all the available bands) for comparison purposes.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »

Also, when only using 4 tones per group for SNR & 8 tones per group for Bitloading, the Bits with SNR plots actually line up with each other.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »

I've just recieved my OpenWRT ECi modem, here's the stats.

If you need anything from me if you explain how to do it i'll give it a whirl.

Seems good to me it knocked my INP from 49 down to 45  :)

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »

Where did you get it from S.Stephenson? Which model is it exactly? There seem so many!

TIA  ;)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 06:49:37 PM »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:52:29 PM by S.Stephenson »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »

Ready to test on a RPi and ECI modem when ready :)

Could we write a script that transforms ECI telnet output to HG612 format and this is used for MDWS?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »

Could we write a script that transforms ECI telnet output to HG612 format and this is used for MDWS?
Can't see why not, it's just a matter of matching data items to each other

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »

Would it be possible to include more generic Lantiq support, such as for the TP-Link TD-W9980 (unlocked/hacked to make shell access available)? There's no /etc/init.d/dsl_control on the TP-Link, so you'd need to do a lot of different commands to get each item of data.

This way does work, and the output should be the same format:
Code: [Select]
echo "vig" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd ; cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack
However, it might be more reliable to do it this way instead:
Code: [Select]
/firmware/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh vig

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »

Any further updates to how this is going? I've switched back over to my ECI modem as it syncs at 66mbit/s on my G.INP line vs 62-63 on Broadcom, I'm hoping for 79999/20000 on that line whenever 3db goes live.

The ECI vs HG612 on my non-G.INP line is negligible.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 09:47:26 PM »

To be honest I think there are plenty of third party VDSL modems out there which work straight out of the box with DSLstats & HG612_Modem_stats without having to re-write or flash the ECI modems to gain access to stats.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »

I suppose so, but the ones that can easily be monitored work best on Huawei, in my experience the ECI modem/Lantiq chipset has a very positive effect on sync rates when G.INP is active I know that at the moment G.INP isn't active on many lines, but when G.INP is active on ECI again I can see more people switching to ECI modems.

Pages: 1 [2] 3