Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLStats v5.8. Unable to login to Router  (Read 2662 times)

jjaycee

• Just arrived
DSLStats v5.8. Unable to login to Router
« on: June 07, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »

Windows 10, Billion 7800n, Avast antivirus. Recently I've been getting the Unable to login to router message but
but it would rectify itself. Now I am totally unable to get it to login. All my configuration settings are as before including the login of admin/admin. IP address 192.168.1.254. Still no luck. I am completely lost on what has happened suddenly. I have uninstalled DSL Stats, reinstalled ( having removed all the files in AppData Local but still no luck.
Anyone help me here, because i have been running this programme for many years now and it is vital for me as I am on a poor adsl connection and the stats help me when i need to contact my ISP.

roswellgrey

Re: DSLStats v5.8. Unable to login to Router
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »

Have you rebooted the Billion ?

Now before you scream and hurl something at the screen for such an annoying answer to your question  >:D , I am very certain that my 8800NL has a memory leak in its firmware (or doesn't close the session down properly) . As such, after a certain number of telnet sessions (a lot btw), it just stops accepting connections, and the only solution is a reboot of the router....

Just thinking it might be the same for the 7800 if you have checked all other variables ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:32:55 PM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL

jjaycee

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »

I promise not to scream and hurl abuse !! Mainly because it worked. I do hate rebooting the router but if that is the solution then so be it. I may see if actually closing down DSLStats prior to shutdown alleviates the problem.
Much appreciation here for your help.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »

Losing the telnet interface after many uses does seem to be an issue with a few modems.
  Eric

jjaycee

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »

Well it has happened again today and am unable to get it going. I am reluctant to keep rebooting the Bilion 7800n as it does tend to get me  a few days of DLM changes normally resulting in downgrading my connection speed.
I have just tried Routerstats Lite and it has no problem logging in to the router, so now I am confused. Is it the router (memory leak?) or is it DSLStats? I don't want to use routerstats as it does not give me ES,FEC etc.
Any advice appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:11:04 AM »

As far as I recall, Routerstats Lite stays logged in for the duration of the session, so it won't be affected by any limitations of repeated logins. DSLstats and HG612_Stats log in, collect the data, then log out.

I'm at a loss to know what to suggest here. One possibility might be to increase the time between samples. Or maybe beg, borrow or steal a different modem.
  Eric

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »

Why not give hg612 stats a try?. I had this  issue with zyxel 8924, after trying both applications we could not resolve it even though the logs showed a login issue related to telnet session and that was after trying increasing the login times etc.. Always worth a go - we did improve the collection of data with hg612stats which in turn led to stats being around 98%. I know others did not have this issue but its worth a go to see if it helps.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:10:31 PM by skyeci »