Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Monitoring programs ECI Support?  (Read 11396 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Monitoring programs ECI Support?
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:29 PM »

General question, if we would like to see some kind of mdws support for hacked eci modems what would need to happen? Is there anything us users could do to help? As ginp is rolling out to eci cabs and giving better sync speeds using an eci modem some mdws support is wished :)
You'd need to ask in the respective threads for HG612 Modem Stats and DSL Stats really, as it's those two programs which harvest the stats and upload them to MDWS.

In theory if you can telnet into the ECI modem then it should be possible, but I suppose it depends on how much work it'll take and the time available to the authors.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Monitoring programs ECI Support?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »

Realistically, very little chance for DSLstats, I'm afraid. It would be too big a job for me to take on now. Sorry.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:13:02 AM »

I'm going to take a look into this, initially testing things via user skyeci to get the ball rolling
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:17:18 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »

I'm going to take a look into this, initially testing things via user skyeci to get the ball rolling
Yes it has only been 3 days but anything to report? I am going to break (sorry solder) my ECI today so cross fingers.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test until ginp is enabled on my line as I want stats when it happens as with my luck I will probably lose speed so keeping hg612 connected.

Thanks for looking at this I hope it is possible.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »

See the attached log, (obtained automatically via a Windows batch file script for now), showing some of the stats obtainable.

It all needs reformatting for graphing & it appears that some data is averaged into groups of 8 tones, which won't be as detailed as the stats we are familiar with.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »

You could try g997sang instead of g997dsnrg. g997lspbg (G997_LineStatusPerBandGet) may also be useful for the LATN, SATN, and SNRM per band.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »

TBH, the whole stats harvesting seems rather flaky.

It seems to work for a while, then for no apparent reason, all stats harvesting ceases, apart from data from this command:-

/etc/init.d/dsl_control lucistat

Even this command stops working:-

/etc/init.d/dsl_control status

Running the commands either via the script or directly via a ssh session doesn't return any data.

The only way to get the other stats back seems to be to restart the modem.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »

The /etc/init.d/dsl_control lucistat uses a different pipe than the other script functions, so something must have gone wrong with pipe 0. The dsl_control script relies on the same dsl pipe commands for the pretty printed output.

I will add a comment on the "OpenWRT for the ECI modem" thread because it might be more reliable if there were an extra utility in the firmware (a dsl_cpe_pipe.sh command, which is no longer actually a shell script).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »

I've changed the topic title to be more appropriate.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »

Attached is the first graph generated via HG612 Modem Stats graphing program using data obtained via an ECI modem on my connection to a Huawei cabinet.

It contains DS data only for now & I'm still a long way from a finished product.

It is, however, some progress in the right direction.

Watch this space............................

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »

:thumbs:

Well done, its a good start  :clap:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 12:13:06 AM »

Is it too soon to say when will it support mdws and rpi? Only joking looks very promising thanks for looking at this.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »

Is it too soon to say when will it support mdws and rpi? Only joking looks very promising thanks for looking at this.

I'm not sure yet, but it's getting closer, bit by bit.

I still don't fully understand what data can be gleaned from an ECI modem & some of the data that I can obtain isn't very detailed. e.g. QLN, Hlog & SNR have average values for 8 tones grouped together, unlike a HG612 etc. that provides data per tone.

As my existing programs use the familiar Discovery Phase band plans for various matters, including sorting DS & US data into differing colours, the band plan data I can get from the ECI for my connection isn't particularly helpful.

Band Plan Data from HG612 for my connection to a Huawei DSLAM:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1200)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1766)

Band Plan data from an ECI modem (same connection):-

nReturn=0 nDirection=0 nNumData=2

nFormat=(nBandIndex, (nLimit_firstToneIndex, nLimit_lastToneIndex), (nBorder_firstToneIndex, nBorder_lastToneIndex)) nData="

(00,(0007,0032),(0007,0031))

(01,(0871,1196),(0880,1195))

"

nReturn=0 nDirection=1 nNumData=2

nFormat=(nBandIndex, (nLimit_firstToneIndex, nLimit_lastToneIndex), (nBorder_firstToneIndex, nBorder_lastToneIndex)) nData="

(00,(0033,0859),(0048,0859))

(01,(1216,1924),(1217,1699))

"

Could someone who can achieve much higher speeds than I can please post their ECI raw band plan data via these commands:-

root@OpenWrt:~# echo "bbsg 0" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd ; cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack

&

root@OpenWrt:~# echo "bbsg 1" > /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd ; cat /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack

I have attached an example of graphing progress to date, but there's still a lot to do before I'll be happy to release it for Beta testing.

EDIT:

Just for cross-reference purposes, I have attached a recent example of data for my connection via a HG612 modem.
It is the example with 6 information/graph panels.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:16:13 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »

Did you try the g997sang command for getting the SNR per tone? I expect the reason that the some of the data has been stored as averages for 8 tones is because that's how it's required to be sent to the other end when requested (G.993.2 11.4.1 - there's a maximum of 512 groups).

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
e.g. QLN, Hlog & SNR have average values for 8 tones grouped together, unlike a HG612 etc. that provides data per tone.
Can you apply some artistic license and use the average value for all 8 tones for graphing?

I am going to have to try and get my eci soldered up not my best skill I hope eci modems are still cheap on ebay for when I solder all the 4 pins together!
Pages: [1] 2 3