Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Avast installs SafeZone browser without users consent.  (Read 3032 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Avast installs SafeZone browser without users consent.
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »

I, like many other Avast users noticed today that Avast seem to have installed their safezone browser without any notification to the end user. It literally just appeared. What's more annoying than this intrusion is that on the avast free forum the owners dont even seem to realise the seriousness of what they have done. A program designed to stop malware sneakily appearing on our computers have used a similar tactic themselves to sneakily install this 'addon'.

Apparently the addon is usually part of the premium version and they selected a few random avast users to try it out in the free version.

I think the complaints are by the way they have gone about it. I don't think it was the best way for them to do this, especially as they say the whole point of extending it to free users was to gauge feedback. I think they have tainted the feedback by their own actions.

How to uninstall Avast SafeZone Browser
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

petef

• Reg Member
Re: Avast installs SafeZone browser without users consent.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »

Avast SafeZone Browser needed a fix for a flaw discovered last year which opened up all the files on a PC to the outside. I use and recommend Avast anti-virus but prefer to stick with established browsers (Opera mainly).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/05/avast_spoons_browser_patch_as_google_cleaver_yells_your_forks_forked/

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Avast installs SafeZone browser without users consent.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »

I've also noticed this on my PC, Avast seems to be installing lots of junk lately, which is most annoying.  Might be to time to change anti virus provider.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D