Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do ADSL Line Rates Increase As Fibre Connections Increase?  (Read 2086 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Do ADSL Line Rates Increase As Fibre Connections Increase?
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »

I've always wondered, do ADSL line rates increase as fibre connections increase? I was thinking it was possible seen as ADSL crosstalk decreases.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Do ADSL Line Rates Increase As Fibre Connections Increase?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »

I believe this is the case to an extent, but VDSL does present noise onto lines in a copper bundle, so could possibly cause ADSL to be affected - one of the more knowledgeable on here will know more than me :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »

In the just over 3½ years in this property, my ADSL2+ errors have been slowly but gradually declining. Around a year ago, DLM switched me to Fastpath.

In the absence of any known changes, I've assumed this is down to more and more people moving to FTTC.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 04:44:56 PM »

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I wonder what my ADSL speed would be now that most users have moved over to FTTC? It was around 5/1 could be 7/1 now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »

I would expect it will.  Depends how many are on the DSLAM/MSAN.   Crosstalk though isn't quite as noticeable on ADSL due to less tones in the spectrum.

I was one of the first on a shiny new BE* MSAN the day it went live and over the course of about 6 yrs lost about 3Mb on 24Mbps -> 21Mbps (cant recall exact figures now).   Most of the cross talk tended to be around the tones used for 8-9 Mbps.   I saw a marked increase when O2 started putting their users on the MSAN en-mass after they bought out BE*.

The other thing to bear in mind... as more users move to FTTC then MSANs will have more free ports.  I would imagine that any operator with common sense would eventually shut down MSANs and consolidate users on to as few MSANs as possible. Consolidation would cause increases again. 

There is no point running idle equipment.   My exchange isnt particularly large and I dont know how many BT MSANs there are, but last time I was there I was surprised to see that Sky alone had at least half a dozen. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »

Interesting. Using the BT Broadband Availability Checker, I checked some phone numbers that are close to the exchange and found that there was an increase in ADSL speeds after the fibre cabinets had been activated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »

Mine has for adsl has stayed exactly the same over the past 3.5 yrs.  See below for screen caps.
The first is sometime early 2013 when I was using LLU Annex_M and hadn't yet got fttc.  I was syncing at ~21Mbps down 2.5 up by that time. Originally I was able to get the full  24/2.6 Mbps.  Annex_M is where it takes away some of your downstream to use for upstream.   
The 2nd is one Ive just done now.

I have several  screen shots retained for the past few years and although adsl estimates have stayed the same, its interesting to see how VDSL has changed.  As far as I can see it only started changing in 2014 when they added the impacted row.

Code: [Select]
Up to 62.6 Up to 20

80 63.3 20 20
75.6 50.5 20 16.3

80 70.6 20 20
75.1 43.7 20 11.6

80 67.7 20 20
70 39.8 20 10

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything