Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Small rack  (Read 1746 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Small rack
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:30:29 AM »

Can anyone recommend a smallish rack, for kit that stands on feet? (Not a standard width rack for kit that requires ears or rails or whatever.) A modest sized shelving unit, with good ventilation, preferably aids for cable management. Needs to take three small modems, a 24-port switch which is quite big, a small router and three or so other small boxes, plus room for expansion. I'll measure up and add the results.

Shelves with holes in them or wire mesh or similar might be a good idea for air flow. If the whole thing is metal, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to ground the whole thing, to make the shelves into ground planes just in case that might help the highly sensitive DSL modems.

Separate thought: A smallish silent fan might come in useful in the high summer, just to keep air moving gently. Not integrated or anything such.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Small rack
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »

[Bump.]

Anyone know any good suppliers / shops ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

Hmm . . . How about a classic kitchen vegetable rack? (I'm thinking about the sort we had in our kitchen back in the 1950s!)

And, no, I don't think the sort of rack that Cardinal Biggles produced, when we first met The Spanish Inquisition back in 1970, would be appropriate!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »

That's an excellent idea. I'll do it, it will be good for mains blocks and small UPSs.

And thank you so much for that clip. It's given me an excuse to watch it all again, it's been far too long.

anything