Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What's This ?.  (Read 3118 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
What's This ?.
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:57 AM »

Whats gone off on this graph at about 19.30 ?.
Again at 1.20 on graph two.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: What's This ?.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »

The graphs aren't displaying correctly, so it's a bug. If you change to a shorter time per page, does it revert to a normal display?
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

The graphs aren't displaying correctly, so it's a bug. If you change to a shorter time per page, does it revert to a normal display?

No.

seems to be recorded like that, graphs as like that in the file folder as well.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 03:03:34 PM »

I can only suggest that you save any data which you want to keep, and restart DSLstats. Without some reproducible sequence of events leading to the issue, finding the cause would be a needle in a haystack job.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 05:32:19 PM »

I recall seeing something similar to this - but not as bad- on one of tickmikes earlier graphs from about a week or so ago. 
I just assumed it may be something to do with the monitoring time/frequency.  ie more often than every min?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 05:37:33 PM »

. . . but not as bad- on one of tickmikes earlier graphs from about a week or so ago. 

Yes, I also saw that graph. My thoughts then were along the lines of "incorrect timekeeping/time dilation/time extension".

Now, I'm not so sure.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »

Ive just played with my version, but no matter how I squeeze/extend/resize the graph.... or change the time per page,  I cant get it to do anything like that.   
The only thing I havent tried changing is the sample rate -  I keep that at 60 seconds and never touch it,  because I dont want to cause a conflict with HG612 modemstats.

---
ETA

I note the top graph is showing as having been set at show 1 hour per page.   Whereas the bottom 2 must be set at 12 hours per page.   
Wonder if somehow it has got confused because mike has changing the time per page.     However saying that..  you would think it would have just done that for me when I tried changing mine. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:52:38 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »

The only way I could emulate the visual aspect of the graph would be to take the raw data and then randomise some of the entries. Re-plotting the data would then produce a similar effect.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »

The effect appears to be the result of time periodically going backwards. The thin lines are infills which occur when there are some samples missing. Looking at the lowest part of the first graph, there's a green line going down from 19:27 to ~19:40, then it seems to jump backwards to 19:27 again (with an infill between the two points) after which it climbs again to ~19:40. This could be the result if the samples were rearranged in the array which holds them, but how that could happen I can't imagine.
  Eric

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »

Time jumping forward happens during a connection loss/resync if the sampling period is below 60 seconds. Under this condition dslstats adds 1 minute at each sample and jumps back to the actual time once the connection gets back.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 10:31:46 PM »

I note the top graph is showing as having been set at show 1 hour per page.   Whereas the bottom 2 must be set at 12 hours per page.   
Wonder if somehow it has got confused because mike has changing the time per page.     .
I have 12hrs per page and sample 10sec.(now changed to 30sec ).
Yes I expanded it for this post to try to see it better.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:28:34 PM »

sample 10sec.

I wonder if that had something to do with it.   
I know on my PC which has a fairly fast CPU, it can often take circa 5 seconds.   If its going every 10 secs it may not have quite finished one before starting the other.   Eric is probably best to answer...  but I dont know what would happen in those circumstances..  especially if the PC was busy, would the results start to back up?
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »

. . .  sample 10sec.(now changed to 30sec ).

That is the problem. Set the sampling rate to be no faster than once per minute and all will be well again.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »

That's probably a correct diagnosis, but 30 seconds should be fine. With a good connection between the computer and the modem the main time-consuming part of sample collection is logging in to the modem; even a low powered device like a Raspberry Pi will process the data in a short time. If the connection between the computer and the modem is wireless, then all bets are off.
  Eric

anything