Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Info - FTTP update & 2 New G.Fast trials  (Read 11305 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Info - FTTP update & 2 New G.Fast trials
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »

Quote from: Clive Selley, CEO Openreach
Team,

I’m delighted to announce that we plan to give more consumers and small businesses in the UK access to ultrafast broadband. 
We’re going to conduct two new trials of Business Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) technology in Bradford – providing ultrafast speeds of up to 1Gbps in the city’s Kirkgate High Street and Listerhills Science Park. This trial will explore if the technology can be installed faster and more efficiently in business parks and high streets. Work has already started on the network, and the first businesses are expected to be connected in late spring. This is part of our recently announced series of FTTP trials which are underway in Swindon and Bedfordshire.

Following our ultrafast G.fast trials in Huntingdon, Gosforth and Swansea, we’re going to run two more ultrafast G.fast pilots in Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire and Gillingham, Kent. Work on the new pilots will begin soon and once the infrastructure has been built, 25,000 homes and businesses in these areas will be able to access download speeds of up to 330Mbps using G.fast from their nearest street cabinet.

We’ve also committed to build FTTP infrastructure into new housing developments in the UK that have more than 250 premises, free of charge - with a joint funding option available to smaller developments.
Both of these ultrafast initiatives move us firmly towards our ambition of 10million homes passed by 2020 and support our purpose of continuing to build Britain’s connected future.

Clive

[Moderator edited to attribute the quotation to Clive Selley.]
[Admin edited to expand topic title.]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:08:47 PM by kitz »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Info - FTTP update & 2 New G.Fast trials
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »

Thank BS, interesting follow up to previous statements.

But if you don't mind a little off-topic banter... Whilst I've often said I wished I'd spent my working career with BT, I might have had second thoughts when a CEO starts addressing his staff as 'Team'.   :D

Sorry, some things just make me cringe.  Put it down to age.  :-[

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »

@sevenlayermuddle - "team". Oh yacky yackety yack.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »

Following our ultrafast G.fast trials in Huntingdon, Gosforth and Swansea, we’re going to run two more ultrafast G.fast pilots in Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire and Gillingham, Kent. Work on the new pilots will begin soon and once the infrastructure has been built, 25,000 homes and businesses in these areas will be able to access download speeds of up to 330Mbps using G.fast from their nearest street cabinet.

The bit in bold is rather disappointing. Hopefully as things progress they'll start installing more gfast nodes other than at existing cabinets.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »

Thank BS, interesting follow up to previous statements.

But if you don't mind a little off-topic banter... Whilst I've often said I wished I'd spent my working career with BT, I might have had second thoughts when a CEO starts addressing his staff as 'Team'.   :D

Sorry, some things just make me cringe.  Put it down to age.  :-[

Oh believe me, I'm with you all the way on 'Management speak'. It actually makes me delete the message without reading its full content if it becomes top-heavy with all that cr4p.

Regarding the 'Team' comment from Clive, I don't suppose it's really thaaaat bad compared to other possibilities. Clive has actually been with the company for (approx) 30yrs, so he is a worthy CEO in my eyes on paper … as always the real proof will come with time.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »

The bit in bold is rather disappointing. Hopefully as things progress they'll start installing more gfast nodes other than at existing cabinets.

I agree, nodes were interesting, reducing copper in the connection and moving fibre much closer to the customer(possibility of paying extra, but less than current FTTPoD, for full fibre?). In the past I've had long term issues with a dodgy phone line(luckily not today) so I'm not the biggest fan of copper as a heavy Internet user.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

I thought the whole point of G.fast was using nodes to bring the fibre closer to peoples houses?

Maybe they are just testing a different delivery method. I guess we'll see.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »

Surly if you are within the range of G.Fast you will already get fast speeds from FTTC, last I heard G.Fast worked at 300mbps at 350m.

I hope that they don't just plop a G.Fast cabinet next to the FTTC ones and call that the future, they'd easily hit the most of the U.K. target that way.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 08:09:23 PM »

I seem to remember they were going to add G.Fast to existing cabinets first, and then build nodes further out. G.Fast drops off even quicker than FTTC so if deployed at cabinets only then will only benefit those nearest to the cabinets.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »

I seem to remember they were going to add G.Fast to existing cabinets first, and then build nodes further out. G.Fast drops off even quicker than FTTC so if deployed at cabinets only then will only benefit those nearest to the cabinets.

Question is though will they focus on cabinets only till 2020, if they do all the people with slow FTTC are going to be stuck with it for another 5+ years, and people who got fast FTTC anyway will get G.Fast.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 11:13:35 PM »

Good spot.   It wont really help those who are much further away than a couple of hundred meters from the cab.   :(   

Use of nodes would be much more inspiring... but they mention the FTTdp at Huntindon etc in the same breath.   I wonder if they are just testing what improvement doing from the cab only provide.. as this will involve comparatively little expenditure.  :hmm:  Personally I'd prefer more FTTdp
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:18:46 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 01:45:04 AM »

@kitz -Kitz, I got lost. What's FTTdp?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 03:19:51 AM »

To the distribution point, which is at top of the pole or underground.
It may also be known as FFTRN  = remote node.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 06:41:44 AM »

Thanks. It's come back to me. FTTRN is, for some reason, much more familiar to me.

clayyy

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »

The BT slides regarding G fast were all talking about Rn/Dp coming further than the cab and mentioned sub 350m to the premises, so this must be a trial just to see what can be gained when only done at the Cab.

(PLEASE let it just be a trial or i've lost all hope unless i move house!!)
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything