Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Going to have a fight with Win10  (Read 2144 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Going to have a fight with Win10
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:34:54 PM »

Well I got this new pc last week and finally set it all up. But I soon realised that having a small SSD system drive could be a problem in the way Windows installs programs.

I looked online to a guy I've followed for a while and he came up with a bright idea of changing 2 registry entries so it makes Windows default to putting things on the HDD drive. So I did. All was going as planned, until the dreaded update 1151. Why Microsoft are still selling Win10 cd's with the old version on, knowing that people will have to go through the update is silly. They should at least reduce the price.

Anyway.. I updated windows and immediately found one of my programs, Asus Suite III half stopped working, resulting in my usb ports not fully recognising devices. Having no cd drive means I depend on the usb ports, so I looked to go back. I found my system restore points prior to the update had gone. So I ended up reverting back to the previous build.

USB ports then started working again. Only now windows will no longer update itself. It will update the programs but not windows itself. Also the app store seems to have disappeared. I've followed instructions to manifest it back on. But there is no manifest there.

So I'm left with only a couple of options;

1. Create a restore point and uninstall asus suite iii. This involves uninstalling it normally, then booting in to safe mode and running a special ai3 cleaner.

Then changing the 2 registry entries back. I have heard that this will fix things as far as windows updates are concerned.

Then going to attempt the update 1151 again from the media creation tool.

2. The other option if the above fails in some way, as ideally I'd like the app store back working! Is I'm going to have to do a re-install of windows.

I think its a big fault of microsoft to not allow storage on other drives. They seem to not be ahead of the curve on this. That more people in the future will have ssd drives. I mean what else do people buy ssd drives for if not to improve the speed of windows!?

So wish me luck!  :fingers:
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Going to have a fight with Win10
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »

I had a similar argument with microsoft years ago about windows update dumping its downloads wherever it feels like rather than on my designated temporary drive (where my pagefile and temp folders are located) I did quite a bit of video work at the time so I had large disks that needed to stay defragged and not contain anything unnecessary, and windows update would invariably decide to use those drives for its downloads and temporary storage.

I also pointed out that there was no means of controlling WHEN automatic updates downloaded, so if it was left on it could choose to download them at peak time and blow through the user's bandwidth.

Neither complaint came to anything.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Going to have a fight with Win10
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »

The fight took place, and I think I won!  :cool:

Here is what I did;

1. I created a save point.

2. I made a system image of the system drive. I had to buy a special external usb drive formated to NTFS (not the usual fat32) and put the image on there.

3. I removed Asus Suite III by uninstalling it through programs & features screen. Then I booted to safe mode and ran the ai3cleaner program thats on the asus forums. It seemed to remove all remaining bits.

4. Then I rebooted and started preparation for doing the big update.

5. I changed the registry entries back so both ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir (x86) are now back pointing to the C drive. I then exited regedit and noticed immediately some shortcuts pointed in the wrong direction. I also noticed that the windows search bar couldnt even search my computer anymore.

6. I rebooted and ran the media creation tool, which now grabs the current version of windows. I told it to keep my programs and apps and files etc. It then installed over the top and updated my Windows version.

7. After installing and rebooting a few times. The shortcuts seem to work again without me having to edit them. Also the app store is now working again too!

I have noticed that on both attempts I've done the big windows update it seems to uninstall Nvidia's Geforce Experience program. I had to reinstall it. Also it seems to disable SLI configuration. I was able to go in to the control panel and reset that back.

So windows is now updating properly and so far all is going well.

@loonylion

I know what you mean. Hmm interestingly I've just looked at Settings -> System -> Storage, and in the early windows edition I could set documents, music, pictures and videos to point to another drive. They did have Storage listed in the first edition that was greyed out. I've just checked on this version and its been replaced with 'New apps' and that can be set to another drive letter too. I'll let you know how that works out. I've just changed it.

Apparently changing the 2 (or more) registry entries that I did used to be ok on previous windows editions. But it seems windows 10 doesnt like it at all.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything