Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UK Home 4g Broadband Solution Three ?  (Read 3914 times)

stewd

• Just arrived
UK Home 4g Broadband Solution Three ?
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »

I live in an area without fibre or high speed broadband availability. So I have a 4g setup as below.

Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Router with a
ZTE MF823 dongle, external aerial and a 4g sim from Three

This setup worked great for months until Three did something to the sim or the connection stopping it from working in the dongle.
A new sim and a new plan was put in place worked for a few days and then also suffered the same issue.

I had great speed both up and down.

The sim is intended for use in a mobile phone so I am well aware I am technically breaching the terms of the agreement I signed up to.

I need well in excess of the data allowances that are offered by all the UK networks for dongle use.

My query is how do Three detect that the sim is in a dongle and not a phone ?

Is there a way to bypass this detection ?

Does anyone have any suggestions that would assist me in my quest !?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: UK Home 4g Broadband Solution Three
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »

It could be something to do with the value of the MAC address assigned to the dongle. Or it could be that the dongle is ratting you out in some other way I don't know about as part of the normal protocols.

Andrews and Arnold do Three SIMs that are meant for this kind of use:
    http://aa.net.uk/telecoms-mobile-data.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:54:40 PM by Weaver »

stewd

• Just arrived
Re: UK Home 4g Broadband Solution Three ?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »

Great thanks I will look into this news thanks

stewd

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »

A&A don't do Three Sims anymore apparently

Turns out EE do a 50 gig per month data allowance when you buy a Osprey MiFi which at the moment is £55 per month but until the end of March is discounted to £27 per month... No restriction on removing the sim and putting into another device either... So clear conscious and double speed 4G here I come...

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 06:41:02 PM »

A&A don't do Three Sims anymore apparently

Turns out EE do a 50 gig per month data allowance when you buy a Osprey MiFi which at the moment is £55 per month but until the end of March is discounted to £27 per month... No restriction on removing the sim and putting into another device either... So clear conscious and double speed 4G here I come...

Have you tested EE in your house before? I'm apparently able to get double speed but can only get around 13mbps, I'm quite rural though so the networks tend to vary.

stewd

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

Yup it's all good

stewd

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:02:39 PM »

It's a no brainier really.... 3 were great when I phoned to cancel. They even told me the bandwidth I / we had consumed.... 40-50Gb per month for the last 4 months so EE should be perfect.

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »

Three have been known to identify tethering in the past based on user-agent inspection in the HTTP headers

I have heard a rumor that sending all traffic via a proxy that changes the user agent to that of a mobile handset is enough to get around this.

Im just passing on rumors I have heard. your mileage may vary.

BTW - does anyone have a link to the 27 quid/month osprey? The EE shop site seems to always only give me the 55/month option
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »

I phoned EE about the osprey deal - they said its been removed form their website but is still available over the phone from their sales team. So i got it :)

50 gig of 2x speed 4g for 0.54/gig is not a bad deal at all. Thats my new redundant backup connectivity sorted.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

stewd

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »

Three have been known to identify tethering in the past based on user-agent inspection in the HTTP headers

I have heard a rumor that sending all traffic via a proxy that changes the user agent to that of a mobile handset is enough to get around this.

How does one achieve this feat ?

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »

A way I would achieve this would be on the router, but im not sure what OS your router runs

In a setup im aware of, the chap uses a ZTE 4g modem + antenna feeding into a gl.inet router with OpenWRT on it. He then runs tinyproxy as a transparent proxy (firewall intercepts port 80 and passes it into tinyproxy) which passes the traffic up a parent/chain to a parent proxy called privoxy which he uses to replace all outbound user agent strings with the user agent of chrome on an android device.

As I understand it he's on the "one" tariff SIM designed for a handset only. With the user agent showing as a mobile device he tells me three have not detected that hes actually using it as a modem.

This was a while ago now but as far as i know hes still using it.

Its not an easy technical feat, but if you wanted to try it then you could do something much more simple as a test - use firefox with a plugin that lets you change your user agent to a mobile device. if it works, then you have the answer ;)

--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

stewd

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:53:52 PM »

The dream has ended.... It appears the chap I spoke with at 3 was mistaken with the amount of data we consumed as a household. I was sceptical when he told me... The 50Gb lasted less than 72 hours pesky kids..... The rebuild of a Windows install on a PC didn't help either with the 10 trillion updates it required.

So I'm back at the drawing board

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »

50Gb in less than three days? Thats "out there". Thats pushing half a terrabyte per month

We are a data heavy household, 4 kids + 2 adults browsing, streaming videos, playing games, me doing remote backups of servers to my NAS at home, me working form home all day (I work for a CDN, so move data like water), NowTV, streaming radio, BT TV and we dont even come close to half a Tb / month

50Gb in 3 days would, to me, indicate someone is torrenting (or perhaps a machine in the home has become compromised and is part of a DDoS botnet). What does your router say for traffic its done for the month? Does it concur with threes "50Gb in three days" assessment?
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

anything