Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crackle On Mobile When Landline Is Answered With 10's Of Upstream ES On The Line  (Read 5259 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather

Hi,

I've just been testing some things. When I ring my landline from my mobile and answer the landline phone, there is a small crackle. Also, during when either the phone is ringing, being answered and/or sending or receiving a call there can be 10's of Upstream ES on the line.
Any ideas?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Call 0800 111 4567 and then log a fault with them, they should also able to ring you back on the landline and they may also pick up the sound of crackles from their side which then gives the ISP a good reason to send out an engineer.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

I wouldn't be surprised if the crackle is just a part of the 'comfort noise' deliberately generated by the mobile network, to make the mobile sound more like a 'real phone'.   :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_noise

A genuine crackle, as caused by a faulty connection, would be unlikely to be heard as a 'crackle' on a mobile phone - the noise reduction algorithms would usually make such a crackle inaudible or at least, just a wierd glitch rather than a crackle.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

I wouldn't be surprised if the crackle is just a part of the 'comfort noise' deliberately generated by the mobile network, to make the mobile sound more like a 'real phone'.   :)

But he did say the crackles was coming from the landline phone not from the mobile phone......

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

But he did say the crackles was coming from the landline phone not from the mobile phone......

William may or may not have meant that, but I don't think he said so, and I wasn't sure.  Can you provide a quote, highlighting where he said so?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

William may or may not have meant that, but I don't think he said so, and I wasn't sure.  Can you provide a quote, highlighting where he said so?

When reading the post he says "When I ring my landline from my mobile and answer the landline phone, there is a small crackle.

To me he is using the mobile phone to activate the landline pulse to cause the phone to ring he then answers it with his ear to the earpiece and notices audible crackles.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

To me he is using the mobile phone to activate the landline pulse to cause the phone to ring he then answers it with his ear to the earpiece and notices audible crackles.

So we are agreed, it was merely your inference, William did not actually say so?

ejs

• Kitizen

Wouldn't noise on the telephone be treated as a telephone fault, so an engineer would be there to fix the telephone, which wouldn't include resetting the FTTC DLM?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen

Guys, sorry let me confirm. When the landline phone is answered, there is a crackle on my iPhone 5C not on the landline phone. I will test again later to confirm this.

Having said that, there has been 404 ES and 3 SES on the Upstream in just over 3 days. That seems a lot?

Wouldn't noise on the telephone be treated as a telephone fault, so an engineer would be there to fix the telephone, which wouldn't include resetting the FTTC DLM?

If it was Glen who came to fix the telephone fault, I think he would be more than happy to do an FTTC DLM reset. ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:33:02 AM by William Grimsley »

ejs

• Kitizen

Having said that, there has been 404 ES and 3 SES on the Upstream in just over 3 days. That seems a lot?

I don't think that's a lot. The MTBE works out as (3*24*60*60)/404 = 641, so about 1 ES per 10 minutes, which I would expect to have no noticeable impact.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen

Yes, I can confirm it's coming from the mobile phone but it was quite a noticeable crackle which I've never heard before...

Starman

• Reg Member

I average about 250 US ES a day with no noticeable impact.

plexy

• Reg Member

sounds a bit like my line. the ES and US SNR go wonky when I receive a call. The US SNR goes down when the line is ringing then plunges off a cliff when the line is answered. It stays low until clear down then goes back to normal. DS is unaffected.

its done this for years and no fault has ever been found, despite some pretty good BTOR techies getting involved and everything being replaced/switched out (faceplate switched, pair switch, switched in the cab, I switched out my phones etc). Its an AIO cab the last BTOR techie and I are on so the theory is its something to do with the hardware in the cab itself, but as the main problems were fixed with the pair switch this anomalous annoyance is not classified as a fault as it appears to not affect service in any way

--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

@plexy - you've tried double filtering the phone already ?

plexy

• Reg Member

yep tried that - i ran a filter into the faceplate on the phone line and there is already a filter int he faceplate (the faceplate is - i think - a mk2 with the RJ11 on top)

As I said, its more of an anomaly than a problem. it hasn't affected service at all and, given the amount of time the kids spend on the phone, happens a lot.

so for all of the problems my line has had, BTOR have resolved all but this one and the actual impact to me is nothing. Speeds unaffected. The other real oddity remaining is sometimes the US SNR goes from 6 to 15 (and when it does, my DS and US sync rates increase some 15%). theres other posts on that issue here on the forums but as it stands i get a min sync of 75/20 so im happy
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router
Pages: [1] 2

anything