Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: News from across the pond.  (Read 10439 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: News from across the pond.
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »

Dave that's almost exactly what is happening, the installation of FTTC means you've got a network of fibre spreading out from the head end exchange, when G.Fast starts going in the network would spread out further, I think of it like roots from a tree, trouble is some tree's take a very long time to grow  ;) As we already know this network of fibre can be used to supply FTTP

I'm not sure we'll ever see a law requiring fibre for new builds, but it would be very welcomed if councils pushed for it on new estates, on insist on it where BTor is willing to do it for free. One thing they could do is make it a legal requirement to install proper ducting, this could be implemented as part of the Building Regulations, this wouldn't impact builders costs as ducting is relatively cheap, but would make future installs of FTTP much quicker and easier. There's clearly a lot that can be done to help things along, but it's getting the people who have that power to implement, most of them probably haven't got a clue about FTTP, FTTC or ADSL and it's differences.

There's a large estate being planned to replace Manston Airport and I've emailed the developer a couple of time now pointing out the benefits of full fibre, and last week pointing at that BTor will to do it for free on the size build they are talking about. I've also in the past made comments on the planning portal for another local large development saying they should insist on full fibre.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »

It'll also be interesting to see how the other FTTP ISP's move around this progress and what they can offer.

The more G.Fast speeds the more that they need to keep ahead of the game. They need to be in a position to be offering people some kind of full FTTP via the G.Fast network.

Is it possible to push a fibre cable down the route the copper wire goes down? Or does fibre need to be flat i.e. not curved cables?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »

Fibre has to be fairly straight, there is a seriously restrictive minimum radius of curvature. (With Cat6/6a/7 cable (copper), the packaging has a stiffness that helps remind you, at least, not to exceed the limits, although of course with copper this is just to avoid damage to the cable by kinking it and to avoid messing up the twist.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]