Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSL Speed increase  (Read 6804 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL Speed increase
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 10:47:35 PM »

Yeah - can't help thinking it would be silly to go on Max without sorting the probs out first.
Chris

PhilT

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »

Although the stats at that snapshot do show a large SNR Margin.. 
Not sure that this particular line would be better on Max until the source of the existing loss of  connection can be found first.

The line was up for 4 hours odd with a handful of errors, I would put a Netgear 834v3 or similar TI AR7 router on the line and enjoy the 1.5 or 2M interleaved Max service personally.

Phil

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

I can tell you for certain if your having problems with 0.5mb fixed speed then things would be much worse with a rate adaptive service. once you go over 60db attenution then rate adaptive can become tetchy.

On a fixed speed service with typical snr the limits are <43db then 2mb is ok, <60db then 1mb is ok. Given your snr for a fixed speed is 22.4db then this is an indication the line is good (general  guide for fixed speed, 6db or less and you'll probably drop sync a lot. >9db is the target. the teens is average, 20's good, 30's very good)

Dispite your overall stats being good and the fact your still getting drop outs means you still have what appears to be an intermitent problem, although it would have been interesting to know what the actual attenuation loss is (if this was say >65db then you may be suffering from a long line issue. In which case definately stay away from rate adaptive otherwise you'll probably get a throttled back service running at 0.1-0.25 mb

PhilT

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »

In which case definately stay away from rate adaptive otherwise you'll probably get a throttled back service running at 0.1-0.25 mb
Pessimist  :). He may get a 1.5M service that drops with similar frequency to 512k fixed speed, with a monthly contract or cooperative ISP it's easy to flip back if it doesn't work out.

We've got lines over 63 dB that hold 1.5 and 2M, they have the odd blip but don't wander off to sync at loony low speeds. Interleaving probably helps, which he doesn't have at the moment.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »

It may be pessimistic, but it's also good advice. The line has a problem with disconnections, and changing over to ADSL Max would be asking for trouble unless the source of the disconnections can be traced and fixed.
  Eric

PhilT

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »

and I stick by my advice - try it and see.

Diversity of thought and experiences is a good thing.

Interleaving will help, I doubt he'll find the problem from what's been said so give it a whirl and revert if it's a problem.

A different router is also worth a go as different router / line / combinations can behave quite differently.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 03:36:41 PM »

The reason for my pessimisum (which is so not like me) is the drop of sync even on 0.5mb fixed with a good inital snr. I would rather try and fault this issue before trying rate adaptive.

There are plenty of rate adaptive services which run reliably at >60db loss and interleaving does help as you correctly say, but I wouldn't trust the interleaving to improve things unless there was a good clue with a moderate to high errors rate during the current service

As a guide on a fixed speed error rates of > 60-100 in a 1-5 min period would be a problem. Errors are best faulted in the same way as snr problems.

Unfortunately In my experience it's not uncommon to hear of people complaining that their ISP unwilling or stating it's impossible to regrade a service to a fixed rate (2 isp's seem to tell some people fixed rate dosn't exist any more)

commless

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »

Hi guys.

Still having problems with my internet connection, which is now running into week 6. A strange thing I have noticed, but makes no sense is when the probem occurs, I change the micofiter and it works again. I use the same two microfiters and just swop them when the connection drops. Any idea on this one???

James

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:11 PM »

I rather suspect that's a red herring. If you were to unplug the phone connection to the router, wait a few seconds, then plug it in again, my guess is that it would work, without swapping the filters.
  Eric

commless

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »

Hi Eric,

I rather guessed I was clutching at straws! The funny thing is...I never had a problem until one day when I came home to find the line had gone "dis" Rang 151 and got an engineer the very next day. He told me the fault was in a CAB up the street. It looks as if someone had pulled my pairs out by mistake, while working on a different problem.  Ever since then, I've had these dropout problems.

I want to make a complaint to BT but can't seem to find a Customer Complaints number!!!!

James

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 01:20:09 AM »

Do you use tone or pulse dialing ? If it's pulse then I think I can see two possible causes :hmm:, otherwise I'm supprised a retermination in a cab would cause drops of sync
Pages: 1 [2]

anything