Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'm taking the plunge!  (Read 3613 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I'm taking the plunge!
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »

I'm taking the plunge mainly because I've had problems that need a reinstallation of 7, and those same problems seem to be preventing an In-place upgrade.

Two things I ask is how long the download should take on my ADSL2+ connection @ 8300 kbps sync (its been telling me download is starting sine 15:45), and where is the download directed to. Normal downloads go to Downloads folder, but i see nothing anywhere, bar Task Manager that tells me the download is running.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: I'm taking the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »

Hi renluop,

A 8.3 Mbps download speed will give you a download speed of 1.0 MB/s so you need to divide the Windows 7 download file size by 1.0 and that will tell you how many seconds it will take to download.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:16:17 PM by William Grimsley »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:56:13 PM »

D/L will be lower than the sync I quoted. Maths is not strong in evening especially when it's going to be exhausting for a crinkly! :) Download is 6 GB. Still downloading now.......reasonable?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »

Should take just under 2 hours assuming 8Mb/s download and assuming it is being served at maximum speed, it may not be.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »

Still going a few minutes ago, so looks like it's very slow, or something's amiss. I'll try again tomorrow. I think!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »

Probably better to leave it running overnight

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »

Too late! :fingers: ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »

Weird! I abandonned  the download but left the computer on overnight, yet 10 was installed. Ideas? It all seems a bit confusing! :hmm:

ATM in course of data backup with  File History. In 7 I could see a progress bar, but not in 10, so how will I know the backup is complete?

Interesting days ahead, me thinks! Hope not the Chinese meaning of "interesting"

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »

I just upgraded my media server to Windows 10 from Windows 7 - with hindsight a clean re-install would have been better.  Two things to look out for which I encountered :

• Loss of Admin rights - after the upgrade none of the accounts on the PC had admin rights.  There is a workaround by booting into Safe mode and creating a local admin account.
  • All of my files were made read-only, this came to light when i tried to run DSLstats actually and I couldn't understand why it wasn't working until I realised the whole directory it was in was read-only.  This was doubly bad as because I had no Admin rights, lol
Anyway I am sure a lot of these go completely smoothly. GL!

Chunks

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »

I feel for your pain guys.

Something went wrong with my copy of Win10 on this computer. It now won't update the big updates that require a reboot. I'm waiting to take some backup's before I start experimenting lol

By the way, you might want to download Win10 as an ISO or on USB if you don't have a windows 10 cd. Then you'll always have a copy available.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »

At the moment in course of finding what's where, why's when and how's there, but I have at least done my first data backup and system image. I retained my admin rights too. :P ;D I'll have too fathom the File History as to if it makes things easier or is something unnecessary, and get used to search.

If I have a system image, would I also need a ISO of a Win10 cd? :-\

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Looked at files this morning and found that there were a lot of duplicates with modified dates that are very recent, about when I changed to 10. I can't think how they came about.

Has anyone else had the same, and need they be kept?

anything