Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An odd HG612 Modem image issue  (Read 4209 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
An odd HG612 Modem image issue
« on: March 09, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »

I've installed HG612 on to this new Win10 pc and everything is working good, except for when I run the stats program to get images and a log of the stats, the pbParams image always comes out garbled. I'm not sure why. Every other document prints perfectly.

I'll attach a copy to show you what I mean
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: An odd HG612 Modem image issue
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:35:38 AM »

That looks very much like you viewing the file with a Hex editor, the column on the left is the address, next columns show the raw hex data,  final column shows the ascii characters.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »

I'm just looking in the directory with the other images and logs. All those files have turned out in good condition. Just this one. Does this image get created by a different method than the others?

I have my other win10 machine and it creates the image with no issues.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »

I noticed when I first installed the program the image was ok.

I since had some issues with Windows. So I wonder if it might be worth re-installing the program?

How would i go about doing that? Is there an uninstall program or shall i manually delete the contents of the Apps, Current_Stats, Event & Error Logs, Ongoing_Stats and Scripts driectories?

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »

I'm not sure how the images are created as BaldEagle1 deals with that side.

If you want to effectively reinstall then stop the scheduled task, then rename the route folder, so you have a back up of everything . Now extract the whole lot from the zip file to your new folder named the same as before,  then copy across your logs and ini files to the correct places and you should be good to setup/turn on the scheduled task again.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:43:55 PM »

I'm just looking in the directory with the other images and logs. All those files have turned out in good condition. Just this one. Does this image get created by a different method than the others?

I have my other win10 machine and it creates the image with no issues.

The pbParams jpg file is created in exactly the same way as the profile jpg file.
Is the profile jpg file definitely OK?

Basically, the raw text data is extracted & reformatted slightly then a program named convert.exe in the Apps folder converts it to a graphical image for including in the montage with the other graphs.

Also does the pbParams data in the Plink log files look OK?

A Plink log should be less than 300KB in size so you could post an example for me to look at & even plot the graphs at my end.

If the raw data is OK, I would suspect that convert.exe has become corrupted.
If that's the case, you could just extract convert.exe from the original zip file to the Apps folder & see if that fixes the issue.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:49:48 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »

FWIW, viewing a good pbParams jpg file in a Hex editor looks nothing like the example posted by Bowdon

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »

But if I open a text file such as the xlogfile just for illustrative purposes in a hex editor it looks just like what Bowdon posted. Bowdons is a different text file, but it certainly appears to be in hex editor format as per attached.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »

Try opening one of your own pbParams jpg files in a hex editor.

It shouldn't really contain anything readable to a human being as it should be a graphic file not a text file.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 09:35:11 PM »

The profile image and the log images are both good.

I've attached both. I've had to zip the Plink log as the forum fought me on uploading a .log file

I'll have an experiment with the convert.exe file and see if it makes a difference.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »

It still came out the same. I don't think the zip file is corrupt because it did work properly before.

I just can't imagine how the Windows issue as messed it up. Its not altered any of the other programs.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »

Well, there is nothing wrong with the Plink log & the files are created correctly on my Windows 10 PC (updated from Windows 7)

I have attached the montage created from your Plink log for reference.

What the log & graphs show though is that you are still using a very out of date modem firmware version (SP10).

On its own, that's not really a problem other than it doesn't allow G.INP to be used & the 'shared' tones might be having some negative effect.

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade the modem's firmware to Wolfy's SP08 version, especially as it now appears that ECI cabinets might be starting to see G.INP activation.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:34:33 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »

Try opening one of your own pbParams jpg files in a hex editor.

It shouldn't really contain anything readable to a human being as it should be a graphic file not a text file.

It's not the pbParams.jpg that's been opened in a hex editor, it's a text version, look at the text in the right hand column of his original picture. Not being familiar with how you create the images of the text or with convert.exe I can't advise any further.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:42:45 PM »

Exactly. The text file version should be only a temporary file using data from the Plink log that is auto-deleted once it has been converted to a jpg.

It therefore seems that something is going wrong at conversion from text to jpg stage.

@Bowdon, could you please post a copy of the pbParams file for us to examine?

Just in case the graphing program is the cause of the issue (GRAPH6.exe), I have attached a copy of the latest version to try (v 5.2.0.3).

I have also attached a copy of the pbParams-20160309-1004.jpg created from Bowdon's Plink log on my PC.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:49:45 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 10:56:01 PM »

A small comment, not wishing to disrupt the discussion and attempts at solving the problem, but I suggest that the subject line of this thread is rather misleading . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything