Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MAC codes....advice please  (Read 5148 times)

HelenMitchell

MAC codes....advice please
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »

Thankyou for the info that you have given me. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:03:44 PM by HelenMitchell »
views and opinions that I express on this website are not representative of those at the company I work for.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: MAC codes....advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »

Your quite right that it is not the role of one ISP to contact another for a MAC code.

It is the customers responsibility to get  the MAC code.

If they claim that they cannot get it then that is their problem. Most ISPs will give you a MAC code without to much trouble, its just a matter of calling customer service and explaining you want to move to another provider.

If the customer claims that they cannot get a MAC code, then it is up to them to cancel their contract and wait whilst the ISP carries out a full cease order on their broadband service before they can sign up to a new ISP.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »

ISPs are obliged by Ofcom rules to provide a MAC code to any customer who requests it.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:41:23 PM »

I may be wrong but I thought it was supposed to only be the customer who requested it.

Can you imagine the circumstances if anyone could get anyone elses MAC Key? 
Say for example if I phoned up Erics ISP and asked for "My MAC key" and they gave it me...  and I then proceeded to sign him up with "a T ISP".  I'm sure he wouldnt be very happy.

If other ISPs were able to do this.. then it could start a trend for ISP slamming. :(

-------------
Edited to add

Perhaps why some ISPs will only provide a MAC key via their email or ticketing system.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »

Although I agree with both of the above comments,

However, I think if you are a ISP and offering to do this as a service for a "new client" that has asked to transfer over to you,  then all well and good, it's just that your boss has passed the job onto you to carry out.
(Could this not just be part of establishing good customer relations by taking the task away from the client)?

On the other hand, "if" and I use the word carefully, if your boss is trying to pull a fast-one and sign-up/transfer a client to your company who does not realise whats happening until after they have been transfered, then this must not only bad practise, bordering on some sort of fraud but downright unacceptable and surely it would not take much for this type of practise to go un-noticed and appropriate action taken by the regulating bodies.

I would further to suggest, providing you make yourself and company known to the other ISP that you are applying on behalf of the person at their request then that should be sufficient.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »

Personally I think the "right" thing is for customers themselves to request MAC codes...

This is the first time I have heard of ISP staff reuqest MACs and even "on the behalf" of the customer I think it is bad pratice and is certainly not how the MAC system was intended to be used.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up.

In which case, all I can say is, if I wanted to change ISPs and my new one was prepared to do that for me it would be most appreciated.

(obviously with my permission which I would probably have to confirm in writing) because as you point out the Data Protection acts, then it would be quicker for me to do it myself with less bother.

Just tell him they will not give out the details because of the Data Protection acts and see what he says!

Good luck.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

edit:

but I still do not think that this is a valid reason to lie about who you are.

Sorry Helen I totally missed that part.
And with a new light on the matter I take back all of which I have said and yes, "I don't think you should be doing it"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:17:25 PM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »

>> Roseway - I think you misunderstand me

No, I wasn't saying that you should do it, I was agreeing with what soms said, and adding a bit more information. :)
  Eric

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:13:54 PM »

Hi Helen, you defiantly are doing the right thing. If someone called Zen who is not the customer (or authorized contact) asking for the their MAC code I and everyone else at Zen would refuse to give it out. The reasoning behind this is that we will not give out account specific information or make changes to an account without the customers permission.

If your boss has asked you to pretend to be the customer I would raise serious concerns about this because it would be a serious breach of the data protection act as well as being fraud/social engineering to get information your technically not entitled to know.

There is not many reason why a provider can refuse to provide a MAC code but below are the exact conditions ofcom set for issuing and refusing to issue a MAC.

Issuing MACs to End-Users

A1.5 The Communications Provider shall communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing by letter and/or by e-mail within five working days of receipt of the End-User’s request save for A1.6.

A1.6 Where the Communications Provider has issued the MAC to the End-User over the telephone (including details about the MAC validity period and expiry date and the Broadband Service to which the MAC relates), the Communications Provider is not required to communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing.

A1.7 The written response (e-mail or letter) to the End-User containing the MAC shall clearly indicate:

1. the MAC (or MACs);
   2. the MAC validity period and expiry date; and
   3. the Broadband Service(s) to which the MAC(s) applies.

A1.8 At any time prior to the expiry of the MAC validity period, the Communications Provider shall remind the End-User of the MAC if requested by the End-User.

A1.9 Where a MAC has already been requested and provided, the Communications Provider shall not impose any limits on the number of additional times an End-User may request the provision of a new MAC in relation to the Broadband Service, following the expiry of any other MACs.

A1.10 The Communications Provider shall issue a MAC to the End-User free of charge.
Refusal to issue a MAC

A1.11 The Communications Provider shall only refuse to issue a MAC to their End-User if:

1. the Communications Provider has, by taking reasonable steps, been unable to validate the identity of the person requesting the MAC as the End-User;
   2. the Broadband Service contract has already been terminated;
   3. a MAC which is still within its MAC validity period has already been requested and issued by the Communications Provider in relation to the Broadband Service; and
   4. the Communications Provider has already submitted a Cease Request for the Broadband Service; and
   5. the Communications Provider is unable to obtain a MAC from a Broadband Network Communications Provider.

A1.12 Where the Communications Provider is unable to, or refuses to, provide a MAC to the End-User, the Communications Provider shall provide the End-User with a clear explanation of why the MAC has not been provided.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »

The customer with the existing Broadband and only he/she or their agent (agent meaning a person other than an ISP) may request a MAC and then the customer or his/her deligated agent may pass it to the ISP that is requested by the customer to provide the new service. That is in place to prevent all the mess that has been prevailing with customers suddenly finding without their knowledge ior belief has suddenly become their new provider be it telephone, gas or water etc etc.

In the recent few years it has comer to the fore with the change in land line provision regulations that a line can be provided mearly on a verbal request without the necessity for a written signed contract.
I hope that makes matters a little clearer

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Thank you DrefSab for posting that which I should have.

Your advice is correct, and I posted I guess at the same time as yourself.
Have a great day all.

Should anyone come accross any variance in the above by any contractor please raise the issue in writing with your MP. (or their MP)

At last I hope all agree we are seeing the start of some small amount of action in respectof some service providers, where we may have to stop stating that OFCOM appears to be as much use as a "Teapot made of chocolate"
Have a good day all.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »

This is the page on the Ofcom site for the public after searching for "MAC codes".

It gives no mention of a "gaining" ISP involvement in requesting a MAC code.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/switching/switch/

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »

Hi Helen, I got this information directly from the ofcom website, specifically http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bb_migration/. Personally even if a customer asked me to do this I would not do so, because they will not have added me as an authorized contact on their account to get such information, plus I would not feel comfortable being nominated as such. I would however give the customer all the help and advice I can on the best way to obtain the MAC code from the ISP including finding contact numbers and such. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:40:16 PM by Drefsab »
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »

Thanks DrefSab, That was kind of you.
Have a great day

HelenMitchell

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »

Thankyou all very much for your help.  ::)
views and opinions that I express on this website are not representative of those at the company I work for.

anything