Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SpeedFan - does anyone use this?  (Read 6653 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
SpeedFan - does anyone use this?
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »

I'm having big problems with the asus suite 3. It keeps throwing up all kinds of errors and also seems to interfere with my usb ports.

I've looked up on the rog motherboard website and it seems to be a big issue. People have removed it and used other programs instead. Speedfan seems to be a favourite with some people.

Does anyone use it on here? What do you think of it?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: SpeedFan - does anyone use this?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »

Why do you even need speed fan, most modern motherboards have fan profiles in the bios.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »

Why do you even need speed fan, most modern motherboards have fan profiles in the bios.

You make a good point. I guess I like to look at the fan speeds lol. It goes back to when i was testing this other computer when my fan started acting weird and i got a bit paranoid about it lol.

I'll see if i can figure out how to uninstall this asus suite 3.. apparently its a bit of a rubbish uninstaller.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:00:25 AM »

for monitoring temperatures, I never use the fan control part of it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:11 AM »

I use various software for monitoring temperatures, on W7 I have a widget which works together with Core Temp which can be used on it's own. I've also used Real Temp and Hardware Monitor (by CPUID) which does show fan speed.

Once I have my over clocks stable I don't tend to monitor temperature much, I tend to set my fans to run silently, so if temperatures do get too hot then I'd hear the fans getting louder. If a fan failed then temperatures may rise so the other fans would get louder. My X99 6 core runs silently unless it's working hard - it's set to turbo boost to 4.5Ghz. It is possible to set alarms in the BIOS, so if a fan fails you get an audible warning, but this is not good for me as I tend to set my fans to be off under a certain temperature.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

I use both speedfan and coretemp.

Asus AI suite is cr@p no matter which version, my board came with v2 and its never worked here either.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations Ronski. I'll check some of those out.

I never actually realised until you mentioned about the profile is set in the bios. I've since found a video that shows a guy demonstrating it.

@loonylion - I agree with that thought! I think when I attempted to update windows 10 to 1151 asus suite started acting up and I got problems with my usb ports, which apparently a lot of people get. I didnt know that at the time. So I ended up having to revert back to the previous build. Which messed up the app store. I'm hoping when I attempt to re-update to 1151, I'll uninstall asus suite 3 first, that it'll repair as its going along.

At the moment I seem to have everything I want working. But yea.. I'm surprised that asus are so rubbish at software. They say its Win10 compatable but its not fully.

anything