Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60

Author Topic: I have G.INP on ECI  (Read 227946 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: I have G.INP on ECI
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »

Has anyone else who is connected to an ECI cabinet other than S.Stephenson had G.INP enabled?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »

Has anyone else who is connected to an ECI cabinet other than S.Stephenson had G.INP enabled?

Nobody as of yet, if we don't see any others by the end of March i'd start to worry.

So for the time being I get to be a special snowflake.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

Did the ECI have 64 ports per line card available when BT first rolled them out?

ECI 128/256 is how BT designate them when applying for planning permission.  I think the 128/256 may actually have something to do with power consumption - ie how much they pay for electricity.

afaik Openreach have only deployed M41's. 
It would appear once they realised the M41's may have a problem with vectoring, they switched back to Huawei.

afaik all of them have 64 ports per line card.  They are using VTU-C64 line cards in the M41s which as ejs said, can take up to 4 line card.    Therefore if when applying for planning they assume the M41 will have 2 line cards then it will be designated ECI 128, or ECI 256 for 4 line cards.

In actual fact its not quite so straight forward as it being an indicator of the number of line cards.. but more the number of IDC Blocks.
If you look on the FTTC cab page it shows a couple of photographs of one cab provisioned as ECI 256 and another which is designated as an ECI 128.

This particular cabinet is designated ECI 256 - note provision availability for 4 line cards and full IDC rack
This cab would be designated EC1 128 - note provision for 2 line cards and only 128 IDC connectors

Note how the cab which according to planning permission was described as an ECI 256.  Upon installation it only had one line card.. but had 256 IDC connectors  - its a relatively easy task to slot in more line cards when needed. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2016, 03:31:36 PM »

I thought that the only reason they ever even touched ECI was due to the stuff about Huawei that was in the news around the time about China being able to spy through the hardware or something along those lines.

BT are going to be in trouble marketing wise if DOCSIS 3.1 is rolled out in 2016, the lowest speed on Virgin would probably be 100mbps and BT would have no response till G.Fast, even then it would be 330mbps vs 1gbps.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »

I thought that the only reason they ever even touched ECI was due to the stuff about Huawei that was in the news around the time about China being able to spy through the hardware or something along those lines.

The spying stuff was more of a scare story in the USA than in the UK - though HMG/GCHQ test their equipment at the 'huawei cyber security evaluation centre'

More broadly, BT have always used (or tried too) at least two suppliers for key infrastructure/equipment - partly to encourage price competition but more importantly to ensure security of supply..

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »

Also would anyone be able to notice if they switched a M41 for a V41, for example my connection went down long enough(24mins) when G.INP was enabled for a switch to take place, would the DSLAM/MSAN type: IFTN:0xb204 / v0xb204 change at all?

I'm just tying to be an optimist and overly hopeful....  :D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »

Probably not, especially since the line cards used might be the same. DSLstats 5.7.3 does report the vectoring status, so you can see if it ever is enabled.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »

Probably not, especially since the line cards used might be the same. DSLstats 5.7.3 does report the vectoring status, so you can see if it ever is enabled.

Thats what I am hoping for  ;D ;D  :fingers: :fingers:

Doubt it though.....  :'(

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »

Have you noticed a decrease in your attainable due to crosstalk what was your attainable before your were hit by crosstalk ?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2016, 09:00:19 PM »

Have you noticed a decrease in your attainable due to crosstalk what was your attainable before your were hit by crosstalk ?

I have been completely destroyed by crosstalk, I when I first got the HH5a saw attainables of high 90's, Since then I have reduced my attenuation from 16.3 to 14.2 by having the line shortened.

Also see one of my crosstalkers below and my abysmal QLN.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:02:42 PM by S.Stephenson »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2016, 09:54:12 PM »

I have been completely destroyed by crosstalk, I when I first got the HH5a saw attainables of high 90's, Since then I have reduced my attenuation from 16.3 to 14.2 by having the line shortened.

Ouch!   I cant see the scale from the graph, so dont know the figures...  so Im estimating.     Is that circa 15Mbps loss?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »

Ouch!   I cant see the scale from the graph, so dont know the figures...  so Im estimating.     Is that circa 15Mbps loss?

It drops from 81 to 65, on a ECi modem I'd probably sync at 79999, they just need to move away or become Amish.

Also I'm pretty sure my cabinet would be the best in the area in terms of uplift to above 10mbps from vectoring, so  :fingers: USO.

In the image below the black star is the cabinet, the circles are the postcodes served by the cabinet, Wragby is around 2km from the cabinet and is like 10-15% of the houses attached to the cabinet, and a local pub in wragby gets the estimate show below.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2016, 11:55:46 PM »

Also I'm pretty sure my cabinet would be the best in the area in terms of uplift to above 10mbps from vectoring, so  :fingers: USO.

In the image below the black star is the cabinet, the circles are the postcodes served by the cabinet, Wragby is around 2km from the cabinet and is like 10-15% of the houses attached to the cabinet, and a local pub in wragby gets the estimate show below.

The good news for you is that Openreach's spec for FTTC modem testing now insists on new  models undergoing testing having the ability for both G.INP and Vectoring to operate together; and that modems can sync at 1800m and 2400m.

The USO is still some years away  and depending on local economics - and if they have a BDUK target to meet/funding - BT could decide to install FTTP/N in the Wragby area instead.. 

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2016, 12:10:40 AM »

As I'm ~350m from the cabinet I'd rather they rollout Vectoring, but hopefully they'll be able to get better than 6mbits in the future.

Other than vectoring my only option to meet my requirements(70mbits) seems to be FTTPoD, hopefully the new method they are using will make the costs similar to when they first started offering it.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2016, 12:23:55 AM »

Other than vectoring my only option to meet my requirements(70mbits) seems to be FTTPoD, hopefully the new method they are using will make the costs similar to when they first started offering it.

You could bond or load balance 2 FTTC lines now. It may well be cheaper than paying for FTTPoD and certainly quicker to achieve..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60