Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'm fully on W10  (Read 2262 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
I'm fully on W10
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »

Yesterday I shut down my last non-W10 computer, a trusty old WinXP Pro machine that I've had for 8 years. It's been my longest working computer and also the first I've shut down without being made to by faulty parts etc.

In its place I bought a big computer from Overclockers UK. It's a Win10 Pro machine with all the fancy watercooling system and SSD drive (with HDD as storage). So far I've been impressed by its speed of loading up, and the cooled temperatures.

So this new computer joins my other 2 Win10 machines, one I upgraded from Win7 and one I upgraded from Win8.1

I have noticed that this 'pure' Win10 machine seems to respond faster, and so far I've not had any hiccups (touch wood).

So I'm reluctantly in the modern age. No more "This OS is no longer supported messages" from Chrome or some programs didnt even used to load up.

Onwards and upwards! :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: I'm fully on W10
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Well, today I got hit by the dreaded 1151 update. The update process itself went smoothly.

However when I made it back to my desktop I discovered a few of my programs had disappeared totally, and shortcuts didn't work anymore.

It seems to come down to that update 1151 copies the windows directory but for some reason doesn't properly structure the filing system.

I think my added complication was that I'm using an SSD as my main OS drive and HDD for storage.

I had to make my own shortcuts for some programs as it wouldnt let me edit the path in the current ones, which I hear is the norm for these things.

My Asus Suite 3 didn't copy over the fan control program, so the whole program stopped working. Geforce Experience disappeared and had to be re-downloaded and installed.

Also at some point my SLI got disabled. Don't know why. But I was able to re-enable it.

I don't understand why Microsoft seemed to deliberately mess up the file system. It's either bad programming or done deliberately to make certain programs less accessable to the general population.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:39:32 AM »

Well, today I got hit by the dreaded 1151 update. The update process itself went smoothly.

Bully for you ! Mine is still waiting for a propitious time to install it !

How does Win10 decide when to download or install ?  Not being used 168 hrs/week I got behind till I caught on to let the computer idle before closing down, but it seems very choosy even with things downloaded ready to install. 

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »

Bully for you ! Mine is still waiting for a propitious time to install it !

How does Win10 decide when to download or install ?  Not being used 168 hrs/week I got behind till I caught on to let the computer idle before closing down, but it seems very choosy even with things downloaded ready to install.

I've had to revert back to the previous build.

The usb devices werent being recognised. As well as it seemed to mess up file location links.

I'm now trying to figure out how to put off the update for as long as possible.