Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does anyone have an email or postal address for OR?  (Read 1854 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Does anyone have an email or postal address for OR?
« on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »

I've tried looking on the openreach website, and while it contains lots of information and also lots of webforms, none of the forms are for a general enquiry. There is a button for general enquiries but it takes me back to the main front faq page so I end up going around in circles.

So is there an openreach email or postal address for general stuff?

I'm wanting to know why all the other sub telephone exchanges in Oldham have at least FTTC and FOD, some even have FTTP, yet my exchange Shaw only has FTTC available. Shaw is a more densely populated. According to Samknows as more businesses in the area of the exchange, and the outer areas were I live are easily accessable for network upgrades (i.e. no problem maintaining or updating the network).

I'm wanting to who know decides who gets what.

I'm not sure how much detail they will reply with. But it would be interesting to see their answer.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Does anyone have an email or postal address for OR?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »

Can't help you with your question but I can say I've worked on Shaw thousands of times in the past. It used to come under Rochdale's ownership many moons ago, but various re-orgs saw it being lumped in with Oldham.

Used to love working at the bakery there, (back road from Shaw to Rochdale - where good old Bobby Ball lived), as you'd get toast to eat whilst on-site and cakes and bread to take home with you. I can still smell the place now as I type ...... Mmmmm.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »

You can get in contact with OpenReach via the following link
https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d
To be honest you'll more than likely get a cut and paste reply talking about continuously investing in fibre, keep checking the website, etc.

Only a very small percentage of exchanges have FTTP, and even ones that show it as available it may only be for a small number of properties. OpenReach have pretty poor coverage when it comes to FTTP. The exchanges that do have it may be part of a trial, receive funding from the local authority, or various other reasons. There seems to be no commercial basis for the current FTTP rollout, so the fact your exchange is more densely populated means very little. Don't let me put you off contacting them though. Just don't have high expectations that you will get any detailed response or any firm commitments.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »

As far as I am aware, Openreach HQ is still at 123 Judd Street, London.

(See here for an image of the main entrance. I have it from an impeccable source that is not Black Sheep who has just exited the building.  ;) )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

Ha ha ........ but oh how I wish it was me walking away ........ for the last time.  ::) :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 12:28:09 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.

@Black Sheep.. yes warburtons barkey. I think its closed down now. But it was always good driving or walking past there. The fresh bread being made. I think you could actually buy bread direct too at a side office :)

Shaw as been past around a lot when it comes to councils. We used to be part of Rochdale, and still have their phone area code. Then I think we broke away and was independent for a time with our own council. Then Oldham eventually took it over. But prior to that there had always been a local rivalry, and I suspect we are getting a bum deal in everything. It always seems to be Oldham council taking things away.

It'll be interesting if OR do give a proper reply. I suspect its more come down to the funding not being provided. Though as I say, other places less populated and with less of a business presense seem to have even FTTP (when they are half out in the hills).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »

I'm just preparing some figures for this email/letter I'm going to send to OR.

I have a question. Looking at the accepting orders document OR put out.. some areas are listed as District (B). There doesn't appear to be a District (A). So what does District (B) mean?