Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to run Routerstats in Linux  (Read 54240 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
How to run Routerstats in Linux
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:24 AM »

Routerstats is a very handy utility for continuous monitoring of the connection stats for certain ADSL routers. Full details and downloads are available here. Two versions are available, the full version (currently 2.8j) and a 'lite' version (currently 2.3). The full version has many more features and options; both work equally well in Linux.

These are Windows programs, so to run them in Linux you first have to install Wine if you haven't already done so. All the mainstream distros will have Wine in their software repositories, so use the distro's package manager to install it. After installing it, run the following command as an ordinary user:

winecfg

This sets up a basic Wine configuration for this user and opens a configuration dialog. You can look at the various tabs and edit things if you wish (and know what you're doing), otherwise just click OK.

Now download the version of Routerstats which you want to use. The lite version offers two different types of download, but I suggest that you download the zipped version, which requires no actual installation. Create a directory called 'routerstats' in your home directory, and copy the downloaded file to it. Open a console, cd to the 'routerstats' directory, and type:

unzip *.zip

which will extract the files from the archive.

Now, while still in that directory, type

wine RouterStats.exe

or

wine RouterStatsLite.exe

depending on which version you have. Routerstats should run, and you can click the help button to get any instructions you need (or read it here if you have difficulty getting the help button to work.

Adding a menu entry

How you actually do this depends on which desktop system you are using. KDE provides its own menu editor, but for Gnome you have to obtain a third party utility called 'alacarte'. Whichever system you are using, the command to run Routerstats will be:

wine /home/username/routerstats/RouterStats.exe  [or RouterStatsLite.exe]

(replacing 'username' with the actual user login name). You should now be able to run Routerstats from the menu.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:38:38 AM by roseway »
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: How to run Routerstats in Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »

Hello Eric.
That looks very useful, good find. :)
 I will try it some time, but at the moment still got a few issues with my last install 'Wine' being one of them.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »

Thanks  Roseway, my neighbour is a "C" and other langs developer ++ and a linux guru so when he returns on Sunday will put it thro his looking glass. Will post any findings if necessary..

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

If he's a Linux guru he won't need these instructions. :)
  Eric

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »

To be fair to my neighbour (who isnt getting dial up quality service !!! ) when I gave him the loan of a 834G he said Ah routerstats is for microsoft and IE) but that was one hour! before he was packing the car with two young kids for a fourtnight easter holl.

So as I dont claim Linux in my qualities. I did some requesting in advance of his return so thanks from both of us in advance. We can have a bottle of Red and save some Brain cells on his return (maybe kill more with a second bottle toooo) as I guess that will be another happy chappie.
Hes 100 meters nearer our exchange with a 63db line atten and below thresh sync but in two hours with the 834Gv3 he had not dropped which he did up to 60 times a day with the BT supplied voyager (new beta firmware toooooo in advance of release)

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »

John Owen a fellow Radio Amateur and the great wisdom of Routerstats informed me today that he will be adding a text note to the read me with regard to the method of updating your working copy of routerstats to an upgrade. Ive asked him to consider an addition to give instruction for those who wish to run it on pc's running Linux.
Have a great day all.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »

As this little howto is now referenced on the Routerstats website I've made it sticky.
  Eric

colintivy

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »

Hi Roseway,

I know that this original post is well out of date and I have looked at everything comparable since but I am still puzzled.

I am running Hardy (still..awaiting next LTS) and have followed your brief to the letter and all seems to work up to a point. I am using a Voyager 210 Router and can read off the Stats quite successfully from it directly. I have downloaded RouterStats 5.2b and this works in part. But the essential data does not show the actual figures that I know are there although the headings are all there.  John Owen asks me to Copy & Paste the readout of the page detected by his program on an email. This I have monumentally failed to achieve, despite normal success doing this within my OS on its own. Is this due to the need to use Wine to get RS to work with Ubuntu. I have tried every combination of Shift Ctrl+C, V etc., by keyboard and by clicking on option panels, both my email program and RouterStats are running, but it seems that the data is not getting to the clipboard. Either I am missing something or there is a basic problem. Other forums have not been much help so I hope that you may have come across it. I guess it is all me because no-one else seems to have flagged it up.

colintivy  :( :( :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »

I presume you mean the Router Stats page? I can't copy the text either, so I guess what I would do is take a screenshot of it and email that to John. I don't know what screenshot options there are in Ubuntu, but I'm sure that you can do it from Gimp.
  Eric

colintivy

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »

Hi roseway,

Thanks for quick reply. Sadly the page that comes up in RouterStars config panel is the complete description of the text plus all the formatting and other paraphernalia that goes with a display of text. This, of course is several pages long and not able to be captured with a screen shot. So I am still puzzled!

In a way i an glad that you also have a problem with this, it makes me fell a little less of an idiot.

Must poke a few more forums.

colintivy  :( :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »

I dont use linux so I cant help out on that part on how it will look from your side... but if it helps John, the Voyager 210 interface should be the same as in the 2100/2110/2091 series.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything