Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 10 - PC Slowdowns  (Read 6374 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Windows 10 - PC Slowdowns
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I only noticed it because occasionally, the HG612 Modem Stats program is delayed due to my PC apparently becoming very busy.
The delay causes more than one instance of HG612_stats.exe to attempt to run during the same minute. Therefore, one or both instances exit early & the data for that minute is lost.

It appears that Defrag.exe and Calculator.exe run during the slowdown period & I 'suspect' that Defrag.exe is the program causing the problem.

Defrag.exe disappears from Task Manager, but Calculator.exe remains, in Suspended status until I start it again via Calc.exe & it disappears when I exit the calculator

Defragmentation on my PC is only supposed to run once per week, during the early hours of Sunday mornings, but I have seen this happen at various times, sometimes for a few days on the trot & sometimes every other day or so.

Googling the issue tells me that other users have seen similar issues, but I haven't yet found a solution.

AVG tells me that I don't have a virus & Malwarabytes tells me that I don't have any malware.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 - PC Slowdowns
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »

Short of fitting an SSD I have no other ideas. Really strange that calc.exe runs, surely that's not used for anything automated.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:58:36 AM »

Really strange that calc.exe runs, surely that's not used for anything automated.

That's what I thought, but it has also been reported by others.

There are a few other processes in Suspended status (see attached screenshot extract). Again, some of these have been mentioned by others.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »

Does the calculator include a currency converter? If so, it's probably updating the exchange rates.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »

It doesn't seem to include that (see the attached).

I'm not too bothered about the calculator really.

It's Defrag.exe that 'seems' to be the cause of the slowdowns.

Why does it sometimes run when not scheduled?

No issues are reported via Chkdsk or SFC.

This was never an issue when I was using Windows 7 either.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:29:22 PM »

Why does it sometimes run when not scheduled?

That sounds like the way vista used to do it's in-house cleaning and it happened when the PC goes into idle mode (idle for 10 minutes) and then the defrag kicks in a quick Ctrl Alt and Del then cancel will stop it.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:48:33 AM »

It happened twice last night; at 19:27 & 22:57, causing some connection stats to be missed.

It was at 19:03 on 28th February when it had last happened.

I don't recall the PC being particularly idle at those times.

Windows also auto-updated at 03:00 this morning, again causing some connection stats to be missed, so I'll no doubt see over the next few days whether it still happens or not.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »

This response to windows Slowdown is off topic and more about your SNRm you used to have which was an oK SNRm with normal day and evening swings but in last year or 7 months your 24 hour SNRm US and DS graph has become very erratic

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »

Indeed, but I have no idea what the cause might be.

Just for fun, see the attached 8 day graphs from today & a year ago.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 11:15:37 PM »

Indeed, but I have no idea what the cause might be.

Interference being generated by Doris' electropathic belt?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »

Of course.

I had seen it hanging on her washing line but didn't dare ask her what it was.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:57:30 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. But I have noticed that when I start HG612 Stats program after booting up windows it seems to take a minute or two to update with the current figures.

When I first open the program it will have the figures from the previous night. I think the last reading it takes. I'm assuming it takes a reading even when I've not loaded up the gui.

So when I load up the program it will say 11:20pm with all the stats from the 11:20pm reading i.e. when I turned off the computer.
It will stay like that for 1 or 2 minutes, then update to the current stats.

It only happens the first time I load it up. If I was to load it up again later on it'll update instantly.

It's not an issue. But just found it curious as to why it does it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »

hmm dont know.

Defrag is required by some parts of windows when doing things like managing the disks in the machine, e.g. if you disable the defrag service and then try to edit stuff in disk management, it will fail as the defrag service is required for that.  But I am not aware of any tasks in the scheduler that run tasks automated other then defrag itself.

Calc I would consider a bit more alarming, the calc is whitelisted in the UAC whitelist for privilege escalation and as a result is a target for exploits to bypass UAC.  To Secure your machine against that exploit route you can increase UAC to the maximum protection (so behaves like vista did which has no UAC whitelists).

Download malwarebytes (free) and zemana free.  Zemana is a new not well known scanner but very powerful and respected in the security community.   Run scans with both to see if they find anything.
https://www.zemana.com/AntiMalwareFree

Also if you want the full version for 90 days for free, register as a beta tester here and you will get a 90 day key.

https://www.zemana.com/AntiMalware/Beta

That allows automated scheduled scans on startup and real time protection if you want it.  This doesnt conflict with other a/v software. It is considered a second opinion anti malware.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:17:52 AM by Chrysalis »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 10:15:36 AM »

See this, it may help.
http://merabheja.com/stop-apps-running-in-background-in-windows-10/

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »

When I first open the program it will have the figures from the previous night. I think the last reading it takes. I'm assuming it takes a reading even when I've not loaded up the gui.

When the GUI loads it will read and display the last data added to the modem log, it will then not display any new data until the log is updated which requires the scheduled task to run, which normally runs on the minute. So in theory the most it should take to update is a minute, but that presumes the scheduled task runs, but as this is handled by various windows services they may not start immediately meaning it could take up two minutes before the stats are logged.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything