Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can anyone find a firmware update page/list for the RT-N66U ?  (Read 2504 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I figured out why my router seems to keep randomly losing connection with the internet (the modem holds the connection to the cabinet). It seems its some kind of bug in the firmware I recently updated to. I'm now on firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9313

Despite me selecting update firmware I thought it might have updated it to the latest one. But I think there are newer firmware updates.

I like ASUS as a company. But I struggle to navigate their website  :(
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can anyone find a firmware update page/list for the RT-N66U ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:14:12 AM »

The latest firmware image that I can find is dated 2016/01/19 with the version number of 3.0.0.4.378.9459

It can be downloaded from the http://www.asus.com/UK/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/ web page.

If you have any problem downloading a copy, let me know . . . as I inadvertently downloaded a copy whilst I was checking what was available.  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:16:46 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:31 AM »

There's always Merlin http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download

And highly recommended it is, using it here without any issues, much better than the Asus firmware.

Also check your cables from modem to router to pc, I accidently squished one here, giving me an intermittent fault.
And I'm just relocating my modem & router to the stairwell here & manged to get the cable down to a mere 400mm between the two now.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:15:52 AM by KIAB »

IMgoRt

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »

I run shibby's tomatousb without issue

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »

Thanks guys. I'll look to to getting those.

My HH5 broke ages ago. I thought about getting a replacement in case this router bricked. But apparently because I'm out of contract I'd have to pay for it. They must make a lot of money people buying replacement hubs!

I'll check the cabling. I noticed when looking for the current firmware I have, on one of the forums people were telling their experiences, and 2 people said they keep getting disconnected from the Internet, even though the modem is still connected. It's a shame there isn't just an easy fix for it. But it could give me the opportunity to upgrade the firmware.

Today I'm replacing this old WinXP PC. Got my shiny new PC in the box beside me. These PC deliveries are becoming bigger and bigger with all the packaging! lol.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »

One nice feature with Merlin, you have the option to switch off all the led lights on router,'Stealth Mode' which I found handy.

anything