Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Closer Look at Ofcom’s Proposed BT Openreach Duct and Pole Access  (Read 5261 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

A Closer Look at Ofcom’s Proposed BT Openreach Duct and Pole Access

One of the key changes in last week’s Strategic Review, which saw Ofcom move to increase the separation between BT and the division responsible for its UK phone and broadband network (Openreach), was the proposal to introduce a new wholesale Duct and Pole Access (DPA) solution to help ISPs build alternative networks.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: A Closer Look at Ofcom’s Proposed BT Openreach Duct and Pole Access
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:22:59 PM »

Our ducts have been open to other ISP's since circa 2008 .......... I personally don't know of any one company who made use of the service ??

By 'closer look', I can only assume they may be perusing the tariff's levied in duct-share ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »

Thanks Bowdon.

Im not sure if Im missing something here, because everyone seems to be focusing on the Access.   However, I cant really see that too much has actually changed in this particular area.     I know we discussed long ago (during conversations about BDUK) that this option was already available.   At the time I also found a document that showed Access Pricing and irrc BT's Access Fee's were about the cheapest (if not the cheapest) in Europe.

I'm still awaiting to see the impact on the following which I feel will be much bigger... and still have the potential to be as damaging as a full split.

Quote from: OFCOM
Reform of Openreach. Openreach needs to change, taking its own decisions on budget, investment and strategy, in consultation with the wider industry.

I'll admit I havent read through the whole 112 page document...  and all the other references it has made, of which there are lots.
One thing I note when starting to read through it is that it links to a reference from Sky which is another 37 page document  (the reading soon stacks up).

Anyhow one thing I note in there is this in Section 9

Quote from: Sky
• Boost to investment, including in last mile fibre-to-the-home networks by alternative operators. One of the often overlooked consequences of BT’s vertical integration is that the largest retail provider of fixed line telecoms services in the UK, BT Retail, is tied to purchasing inputs from Openreach; its business is non-contestable. The ability to compete for BT Retail’s business could incentivise alternative operators to invest in new infrastructure. This would also fundamentally alter the incentives facing a separated Openreach to make such investments – particularly in the 50% of the UK where it faces no competition from Virgin Media; and

• Increased competition. The threat of losing BT Retail customers is likely to have a transformative effect on Openreach, making it far more responsive to the needs of all its customers, including, for example, in relation to new product development, opportunities for co-investment, and service quality. No amount of behavioural regulation can provide such a stimulus.

I'm scratching my head here feeling Im missing something, why are they specifically targeting Openreach then.   If this is the case then surely splitting off retail would better suit?   Wouldn't that do what they require?     
My stance has always been that the split off of Openreach would undoubtedly be nigh-on-impossible and severely disruptive to both BT and the Industry because of Openreach's integration with other depts such as R&D and BTw.  If this is how Sky feels why has it deliberately target Openreach and not BTr/consumer which is where Ive always said would IMHO be the more logical place to split if there was any dividing to be made.       

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:30:15 PM »

Speaking from a town with full and blocked ducts this all a bit silly.  It could only work if ducts were in a good state and a quite a bit less than half full.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »

I can't help but think the whole government sell off of nationalised companies to the private sector was always going to create this situation.

It's like with the railways, selling tracks and companies. Whoever holds the tracks is going to have an inbuilt advantage. I don't see many railway companies offering to build new tracks. Just as I don't think many ISP's are going to help build new networks, even when the option is there.

Ofcom seem to be treating the fibre networking issue in the same way as the LLU situation. But it was a lot easier and cheaper back then for an ISP to do something small and get a return for it.

I think there is only so far BT and OR can go without compromising their own company profits. Ofcom seems to be half bossing, or taking a strict approach with BT like they are still nationalised. In the meantime they completely miss out VM. Also if they are going to interfere in the market why not get involved with other ISP's too, like Sky and Vodafone, and get them to pledge commitments.

I don't really see, so far, much as changed with this report.

As I've said before, if G.fast take fibre up to the poles, I can see other companies then moving in and trying to offer prices from the pole to peoples houses. It's then going to suddenly become affordable.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »

I'm still wading through all the gumph.   

One of the things I noticed was Sky calling for separation and acknowledging it could take years to make a MIR to the CMA... at the risk of subsequent legal action.   So Im assuming they acknowledge that it is risky and someone would be liable for huge legal costs.    Thinking about legal costs made me wonder just what Skys profits were.

Someone like to check these figures?

Code: [Select]
BT Sky

Revenue 6,779 11,283
Operating Costs 5,732 9,883
Operating Profit   528 1,400

Dividends to shareholders 11.4p   32.8p

http://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Annualreportandreview/pdf/2015_BT_Annual_Report.pdf
https://corporate.sky.com/documents/annual-report-2015/financial-review.pdf

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »

Someone like to check these figures?

Code: [Select]
BT Sky

Revenue 6,779 11,283
Operating Costs 5,732 9,883
Operating Profit   528 1,400

Dividends to shareholders 11.4p   32.8p

http://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Annualreportandreview/pdf/2015_BT_Annual_Report.pdf
https://corporate.sky.com/documents/annual-report-2015/financial-review.pdf

In fairness Kitz, I don't think you can compare shareholder div's as absolute amounts, it is swayed by the number of shares in circulation vs share capitalisation, if I have got the terminology right. 

Looking at div's in percentage terms, BT's recent dividend yield has been 2.56%, Sky's has been 3.17%.   These figures taken from Hargreaves Lansdown website, http://www.hl.co.uk

Same conclusion mind, that Sky pay more to shareholders than BT.   :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:59:40 PM »

True,  I only noticed the dividend thing really,  because Sky made a headline out of it, so looked to see what BT's got.
I hadnt specifically gone looking for it, I was really only looking for revenue and  operating profit..   but the share figure was right in my face in big bold coloured type  ;D
-----

anything