Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Re: Best Modem/Router for DSL  (Read 2596 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Best Modem/Router for DSL
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:10:54 AM »

What's the best modem, regardless of price? (Or device that can be configured as a modem.) Considering only performance on the line doing xDSL. Forget wireless, forget router features.

(Preferably speaks RFC 4638 for 1500+8 MRU / MTU - like the HG612 [I think], and the DLink DSL-320B-Z1.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:15:13 AM by Weaver »

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »

Depends on whether you are on a Huawei or ECI cabinet.

For Huwaei i'd either go for a HG612+router or a Billion 8800 nl/axl or Zyxel 8924/8324 if you want an all in one device

For ECI i have no idea as I've not got any experience

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »

And what if you have no chance of getting VDSL2?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »

Hi Weaver,  I have split this off because removing the price limit could take us to different places than where the OP wanted to go.
Also we dont have to consider wi-fi or other features and are looking at performance of what basically boils down to the modem chipset.

You are right to bring it up as a subject, because I feel that modem performance is very important and something often overlooked by a lot of router review sites.   Many review solely based on wireless performance. Some ASUS modem/routers are a typical example -  WLAN is great, but DSL performance is often poor when even compared to some much cheaper models.   

This is the reason why when I review a modem, I will put the HG612 on to get some stats to directly compare with and use as a benchmark.  The HG612 has a solid reputation as modem only. 

One of the modem/routers I hankered for a long while was the Zyxel SBG3300.   It is a small business grade router, but the price at the time was over my budget so I never got to actually test one.   There's a couple of people on here who had them and all said good things about stability and the extras which aren't the topic.  However, it was about 2+ yrs ago now that I pined after one, -  today there is a heck of a lot more choice for VDSL modems.

---

OK now things start to get complicated, because I believe there isn't any one modem that works best on all lines.   
Some people swear that matching chipsets with the DSLAM works best, but I myself dont uphold this theory and I'll give my reasons why in a moment. I believe it is more down to the characteristics of the line.

Why I discount the 'matching chipset' theory

There are an awful lot of people on ECI cabs, who find that the BCM based modems give them a better sync speed than the Lantiq based modems.  On my line it can make the difference between just about ekeing the 80Mbps, or reaching 80Mbps and having some headroom.
There is an overwhelming majority of people on ECI cabs who see better performance with a BCM over the Lantiq based chipset modems.

So why do some people say the ECI modem gives them a bit more?
Undoubtedly there are a few who do get better results with an eci, but they are in the minority.   This is why I believe it is more to do with line characteristics rather than chipset pairing.

BCM based modems always seem to work best on my own line.   Regardless of which DSLAM/MSAN/fttc cab.
When I was with BE, the best modem was the old ST585v6.  It wasnt much of a router when it came to bells and whistles, but that modem just about eked out the full 24/2.6 Mb, something I couldnt quite get with anything else.   Many of the other BE users on Pro (24Mbps) also rated it as a damn good modem.  I was sorry when mine eventually died :(     
Yet there were others who claimed the ST585 as rubbish - Im not sure yet exactly how it split down.  Obviously some werent happy with its wifi, but for sure there were some on longer lines which did better with different routers. 

Many on here will also remember the 2-Wire 2700HG-V (business hubs) which later became a valuable tool in Walters wheelbarrow.  They work brilliantly with long adsl lines.   I bought one and it was the most rubbish piece of kit Ive ever put on my line.   I could not get much more than 18Mbps.

Then we have things like the Zyxel VMG8324 - There's quite a lot of people here who find it has a stable modem and will eke out a bit more line speed than the HG612.  Yet conversely have been a couple of people (such as les) who say it generates more Err/Secs on their line. 

So when it comes to modems, that is why I believe it is down to line characteristics and the type of noise it may get...  and why I sometimes say you may have to suck it and see.   

That said the BCM 6338/63168 etc based modems do tend to work best for the majority of lines. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »

For ECI i have no idea as I've not got any experience

Took me a while to type out the above and our posts crossed.
As above the Zyxel VMG8324 works best on this line..  not that its a particularly problematic line, but more SNRm/overhead/less errors.

That said the TD-W9970 looked quite similar..  which is why I was quite surprised for a cheapy box.   
I didnt keep it on long, but it looked very stable.   No DSLstats as its not compatible, but I was keeping an eye on the web GUI which was refreshing every few mins in another window.   Havent sussed out what the upstream was doing though - it seemed to choke my power which in turn reduced my upstream headroom.   Undecided if this is a deliberate feature or not because Id already achieved max sync. 

--
Edited to add link for comparison stats
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17067.msg314671.html#msg314671
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:39:14 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »

Thanks for splitting this off for me Kitz, I thought it would be much more appropriate.

Can I ask, are there any routers in that list that can't be turned into PPPoE-speaking modems?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »

I think most of the modern vdsl based modem/routers do have this ability.  Even those at the cheaper end seem to have one combined EWAN port for uplink and PPPoE.  Dont quote me on that though.
-----