Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interleaving applied but no idea why  (Read 7118 times)

MikeZ

Interleaving applied but no idea why
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »

Morning all,

I switched from 40/10 to 80/20 a couple of weeks ago and my line has been stable throughout. ES went up, which was expected, but the MDWS traffic lights have been amber for the speed profile (I'm with AAISP) and only red for the stable profile.

Yesterday afternoon I lost sync for 10 minutes, which is very unusual for my line. When it came back, the stats hadn't changed that much - ES were about the same and the traffic lights are still amber, amber, red. However, at around 05:30 interleaving was applied.

Does anybody have any idea why? All I can think is that something happened during that 10-minute outage yesterday afternoon that screwed up DLM. My stats are under 'MikeZ', if anybody wants to take a look.

Thanks,

Mike

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Interleaving applied but no idea why
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:46:07 AM »

Hi Mike,

The reason DLM applied interleaving to your line is because of the raised amount of ES and resyncs on your line. Interleaving is the first step that DLM implements on a line to apply error correction.

I hope this helps!

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »

Looking at your stats and resyncs there is no reason for the action unless you are actually on a stable profile or it is the SES count that has annoyed the DLM.  Even then it is not quite obvious.  I do suspect it is to do with the number of SES you had, they supposedly count for more than an ES but I am not aware of just how much they count for.

I would check with AAISP just what FTTC profile you are on.  I think they use either TTB business or BT wholesale FTTC connections.  Customers of TTB directly , like me are themselves on the stable profile and I don't know if AAISP can/have changed that.

MikeZ

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »

The reason DLM applied interleaving to your line is because of the raised amount of ES and resyncs on your line. Interleaving is the first step that DLM implements on a line to apply error correction.

Well, yes, that's the theory - but the stats for ES and resyncs don't appear to support it, hence why I was asking.

MikeZ

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »

Looking at your stats and resyncs there is no reason for the action unless you are actually on a stable profile or it is the SES count that has annoyed the DLM.  Even then it is not quite obvious.  I do suspect it is to do with the number of SES you had, they supposedly count for more than an ES but I am not aware of just how much they count for.

I would check with AAISP just what FTTC profile you are on.  I think they use either TTB business or BT wholesale FTTC connections.  Customers of TTB directly , like me are themselves on the stable profile and I don't know if AAISP can/have changed that.

Thanks for this - I'm on TT backhaul from the exchange so have asked AAISP which profile I'm on.

Even if I am on the stable profile (which I doubt), the 'traffic light' for stable has been red for nearly a fortnight with no DLM intervention until this morning. Hopefully they'll chase up with BT/TT to see if any light can be shed on the 10-minute outage yesterday.

Something similar happened about a year ago when I was on BT backhaul with AAISP, now that I remember. Months of stability and then an outage followed by aggressive DLM intervention.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »

Well, yes, that's the theory - but the stats for ES and resyncs don't appear to support it, hence why I was asking.

You were looking for an explanation so I gave it to you. Good grief.

MikeZ

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »

You appear to have taken an exception to my reply - I've no idea why as I wasn't taking a dig at you :)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »

You appear to have taken an exception to my reply - I've no idea why as I wasn't taking a dig at you :)

Sorry, I must have taken it the wrong way.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

Thanks for this - I'm on TT backhaul from the exchange so have asked AAISP which profile I'm on.

Even if I am on the stable profile (which I doubt), the 'traffic light' for stable has been red for nearly a fortnight with no DLM intervention until this morning. Hopefully they'll chase up with BT/TT to see if any light can be shed on the 10-minute outage yesterday.

Something similar happened about a year ago when I was on BT backhaul with AAISP, now that I remember. Months of stability and then an outage followed by aggressive DLM intervention.

When you say 'traffic light' are you meaning off a profile reader?

If off the DLM calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_calculator.php wouldnt a red colour mean your line is in danger of being DLM'ed? I thought Green and Amber were the safe stages.

Lines readings can be strange. I used to have a real smooth line, hardly any error seconds but DLM never removed interleaving. Then I had some work done and the connection changed places at the cabinet. Now my line stats are a bit higher but DLM removed interleaving. I think for some people its pot luck.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

MikeZ

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

If off the DLM calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_calculator.php wouldnt a red colour mean your line is in danger of being DLM'ed? I thought Green and Amber were the safe stages.

Lines readings can be strange. I used to have a real smooth line, hardly any error seconds but DLM never removed interleaving. Then I had some work done and the connection changed places at the cabinet. Now my line stats are a bit higher but DLM removed interleaving. I think for some people its pot luck.

I mean the traffic lights on MDWS. The ES traffic light for the stable profile has been red pretty much since I changed to 80/20. I would have expected DLM to intervene before now if I was on the stable profile but that might not be how it works.

Anyway, it's no great loss - just a bit of extra latency and a slight decrease in download speed.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »

I mean the traffic lights on MDWS. The ES traffic light for the stable profile has been red pretty much since I changed to 80/20. I would have expected DLM to intervene before now if I was on the stable profile but that might not be how it works.

Anyway, it's no great loss - just a bit of extra latency and a slight decrease in download speed.

Luckily, the red light has now been replaced with amber as hopefully the ES decrease.

MikeZ

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »

Luckily, the red light has now been replaced with amber as hopefully the ES decrease.

Yes - it should even go green soon, hopefully, because I'm getting only 1 or 2 per hour.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »

I should also look as the SES count.  I don't think the traffic lights take any notice of SES but they are believed to be counted in some way by the DLM.   That said from MDWS if was  SES the interleaving should have happened on the 21st and not today. Hence why I am puzzled as well.

MikeZ

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »

I should also look as the SES count.  I don't think the traffic lights take any notice of SES but they are believed to be counted in some way by the DLM.   That said from MDWS if was  SES the interleaving should have happened on the 21st and not today. Hence why I am puzzled as well.

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't see an SES option on MDWS - how do I see it?

Thanks,

Mike

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »

It is labeled "Severely ES" and just below ES on the list.  For Remote Viewer/Monitor (v2.0.4).
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything