Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Modem constantly uploading  (Read 11767 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Modem constantly uploading
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »

Thanks for your help guys, will try it out and report back. Any idea on large number of HEC errors in my last screenshot? something i should be worried about?

I would ignore whatever values are shown in the HG612's own GUI as some of them are known to be flawed/incorrect.

FWIW, my own HG612 shows exactly the same value as yours for US HEC.

Incidentally, that value is almost exactly the same as 2 to the power of 32 (the maximum value for any data stored by the HG612 before it 'should' be reset to zero again).

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:27:53 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 12:04:28 PM »

Does your ISP provide usage stats? That would seal this once and for all. I'd bet that your connection is doing nothing like what you think it is.

Personally, I think this is just a glitch in the Asus firmware as there is no way that a modem can upload data on its own as what could it be uploading as it doesn't have any storage space from which to upload anything?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »

There is botnet software that can infect embedded devices running Linux such as modems, routers, PVR set top boxes etc with world accessible telnet ports and default login credentials. It might not really matter if the infection is only in the devices RAM, if the device gets rebooted, but there's still an easy way in, it'll just get re-infected a short time later.

I also forgot to ask earlier - can the Asus show the IP addresses of where this traffic (if it really exists) is going?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »

My two random thoughts for xus to consider --
  • What are the IPv4 addresses of the modem and the router? (I.e. what addresses do you use to access each device?)
  • Have you considered re-flashing the HG612 with Wolfy's latest firmware image?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »

Hi burakkucat

I hope you don't mind, but xus has already stated lan1 to router (MAC only), lan2 was used for access to hg612, IP address assigned, but minimal through put. The throughput is showing at router wan side only

Reflashing a later version of wolf I don't think would make any difference

I think it will be s buggy router stats or a computer using the bandwidth (if bandwidth is correct)

Just my thoughts

Many thanks

John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything