Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ftp server  (Read 4974 times)

Zanoma

ftp server
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:22:02 AM »

Hi folks

I just wonderd what sort of softwear is there avalible to run a ftp server from my home computer
need something easy too use.

cheers Alan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:19:18 AM by Zanoma »

Zanoma

Re: ftp server
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:38:40 AM »

the one i was thinking about was GuildFTPd is that one any good ????

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:38:34 AM »

Ive used Serve U for many years  without any problems.

Theres a tutorial for setting it up and link to the free download (for home users only) here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/ftp1.htm

-----

Ive used Serve-U for so long (even before I had adsl) Ive never had reason to use any other so cant comment on GuildFTPd I'm afraid.
I know mr_chris tried another ftp server a few months ago, and ended up going back with Serve-U since it had more permission settings and options etc.

Because of all the different permission options it may not be the easiest to set up though - hence the 5 page tutorial :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Zanoma

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:46:11 AM »

Yeah well am newbie with this sort of thing but i will look into it. I needed it inorder to make a tunnel for gaming reasons inorder to use tcp protocol so its a big task for a first year ccna level 1 blog like my self here, theres alot to take in security being the big thing really.But thanks for you input kitz it's nice chatting with you again :)

cheers Alan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:51:25 AM by Zanoma »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

I tried the Microsoft FTP server as I had IIS installed, but that didn't give me enough control.

There's also FileZilla server, which is free, and appears to have as much configurability as Serv-U, and to be honest, it doesn't seem as robust - I really liked Serv-U but wanted to try something that was free.

However, I'm not 100% sure about how good it is - had a few transmission errors which I shouldn't be having really.
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »

This is a good little program for running a FTP and TFTP server. Fairly old now I expect but gets the job done nicely and very easy to set up. Its called the 3COM Daemon.

Has a pane where you see the server transactions take place and also has some good config features such as running from the task bar, setting up usernames and so on.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=3cdaemon

Zanoma

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:44:53 AM »

Hi again mr_chris

I tryed looking into that vpn for gaming but i think i will have problems when it comes to bradcasting udp packets hence why i wanted to try to look into another way around the problem and came up with using a ftp protocol as it supports my needs.

My game i play use's mailing ports hence why i wanted to use ftp as it fits my needs only problem i have read about that is if the request for a large amout of data stream the control stream sits idle which i think will lead to a buffer overflow cmd but not sure about that, but i think thats changeable.
the other problem is getting it to redirect to 127.0.0.1, thanks for your input on softwear Mr_chris /soms will look into it when i get sometime

cheers Alan.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:49:22 AM by Zanoma »