Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best Bang for buck, sub £100 router...  (Read 3341 times)

subharmonic

• Just arrived
Best Bang for buck, sub £100 router...
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »

Ok - so it appears I am one of the many who is having an issue with their PlusNet Technicolor router.
We've got FTTC in our home.
Last couple of weeks, apparently, an update was rolled out that has screwed up how the router works - web pages load slowly, but speetests are unaffected. Weird.
Supposedly the problem can be resolved by Telnetting new settings to the router - but this process is something I'm not familiar with - so at this stage I'm reluctant to do anything about it using this method.

I'm thinking however, that a new router may not go amiss.
Though I'd love a fantastic superdooper router with all the bells and whistles, I don't have the budget for this.
Ideally I'd like to spend as little as possible, but realistically looking at the lists on here prices really can vary quite a bit - no doubt relating to brand, and functionality.

But, if you had £100 top end to spend, what would you buy?
If I could get away with spending £50 - great - but really I'm interested in getting something which performs very well - beyond it's price point compared with other devices - ie the smart money.

Any thoughts?

As you might have picked up, I'm a noob with this stuff - so any suggestions would be great, with an explanation is to why your suggestion would make a great choice, even better.

Line stats could be useful, as generally, I do like to know exactly what's going on - but maybe isn't the be all and end all as I've lived without them so far. But could be good to know in the event something goes belly up, and I need to give PlusNet some grief...

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Best Bang for buck, sub £100 router...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »

Is this an all-in-one modem router or do you have a separate modem?

subharmonic

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »

Our current set up is the standard issue PlusNet gear of circa 18 months ago.
So from memory, it's a Huawei modem and Technicolor router combo. 582n I think is the model number...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »

I recommend you keep the modem and just replace the router. That should keep the cost down and give you the best performance. If you want the cheapest/best I would get a Homehub 5A from Ebay. (not a 5B). This router will "just work" but has very limited configuration options. If you have more detailed requirements then a different router will suit you better.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:36:20 AM by Dray »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »

Our current set up is the standard issue PlusNet gear of circa 18 months ago.
So from memory, it's a Huawei modem and Technicolor router combo. 582n I think is the model number...

Would you prefer to only use one combined modem/router or are you happy using two boxes in a combo?

What I would suggest is [in order to minimise spend]:

1. Try the telnet solution (ask for help, if needed- its not scary  :))

However, you are right - the 582n is not a very good router - it has very poor WiFi for instance.

2. Then ask Plusnet if they would send you (for free) one of their newer 'Hub One' models which they now issue instead of the 582n (on the basis that is broken)

The Hub One is Plusnet's version of BT's Homehub 5A that Dray mentions above. As he says, it will just work as a router - a direct replacement for the 582n - but can also be used to replace both the modem/router and work as an 'all in one' solution. However, you use it you will find it a massive upgrade over the 582n.

3. If Plusnet won't give you one for free -then look into buying your own modem/router (or just router if you are happy with a 2 box solution).

4. There are various options depending on:

- your needs;
- if you want to collect/monitor line stats;
- speed of Wifi needed etc.

In some circumstances, the Homehub 5B might be better than the Homehub 5A but there is not much in it. There is also a T-Link 9970 model available from £33 but as I say it all depends on your needs etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:04:55 AM by gt94sss2 »

subharmonic

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:12 AM »

:D I haven't ruled out the Telnetting thing - it gives me the fear a little bit - but before I embark on this, I'm going to give PlusNet a call about it. I lodged a ticket with them Sunday, and they've still to get back to me - so I'm going to call them tonight.

Re: one box/two box solution - I don't have much of a preference - though, my partner I'm sure would like to get rid of one of the boxes as she's a tidy freak.

Me - I'm more interested in how it works.
I like the sound of getting an AC type router for the faster speeds.
I like the sound of G.INP - as it should give us a little speed boost on our line.
I like the idea of attaching a USB thumb drive to use the box as a small scale media server - sounds like a brilliant idea, that I didn't know could be done until last few days.

So - something which ticks these boxes would be good.

I did notice that PCWorld were doing a deal on a TP-Link Archer C7 - circa £50 - would that be something I could use.
It has all the above (though not sure about G.INP), but does have two USB ports.
But I have a sneaky feeling it's a cable modem - so I'm guessing that I couldn't use it.

That Home Hub 5A suggested above sounds excellent value - can be picked up very cheaply off eBay...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »

As I understand it, your modem supports G.INP but the HH5A doesn't. You must be connected to a Huawei cabinet in order to get G.INP anyway.

You would be able to use a cable modem like the TPLink as long as you keep the modem as well.

subharmonic

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »

I'm fairly sure our local cabinet is indeed a Huawei, so we're good on that front...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »

I must be a 'tidy freak' as I prefer an all in unit. 
I think I'd be wary of using a HH5a as a modem mostly because of g.inp.   Its difficult to say without knowing your line stats and if it needs upstream g.inp.

But, if you had £100 top end to spend, what would you buy?

I'm afraid Im a bit of a BCM freak too as they tend to work better on my line despite being on an ECI cab..  so either a Billion or Zyxel.
Unfortunately the price of the newer Billions seem to have become a bit more expensive, but the BiPAC 8800NL seems to be well favoured.  Only 1xGbE
Zyxels are hard to get hold of although kc.com (vmg8924) & eclipse (vmg8324)were selling them cheapest last time I looked.

The best budget price modem/router has to be the TD-W9970.   
I have one here waiting to review when I get chance, so I dont know how it performs yet as Ive not put it on my line.   
As an aside when I took it out of the box..  my immediate thought was "OMG the TG582n and the frog* have given birth."  :lol:

*frog was an affectionate term for the old speedtouch modems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

subharmonic

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »

I've spotted that TD-W9970 elsewhere - and though it is cheap, was a bit concerned that it didn't have support of older wifi protocols - ie B and G. Should I be concerned about this and the fact it's only got N wifi?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »

Wireless N is backwards compatible, so anything marked wireless N should also work with B and G.

But just for reassurance, from the specs
Wireless Standards    IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

One of the areas where savings has been made is the LAN switch which only has 4x 10/100 rather than GbE.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker