Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sudden SNR drop on VDSL2  (Read 4530 times)

mhisani

Sudden SNR drop on VDSL2
« on: February 23, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

I've noticed that on the 16th of Feb the SNR fell away on our plusnet connection. Which can be seen here: http://foxpaws.co.uk/~mhisani/vdsl/2016-02-16/SNRMargin-2016-02-16-22.46.40.png

Any ideas on why this would suddently occur. Other stats / dates are available here:

http://foxpaws.co.uk/~mhisani/vdsl/
http://foxpaws.co.uk/~mhisani/vdsl/2016-02-16/

If anyone has any ideas that would be fantastic. Just really strange..

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Sudden SNR drop on VDSL2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:41:56 AM »

Crosstalk. An increase in noise on your line caused by another FTTC subscriber.

It probably happened a couple of days ago on my line.

It is to be expected, and there is generally nothing you can do about it. That's one reason why you are given a range of estimated speeds.

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »

You could always pray to the great BTOR deity for them to roll out vectoring...  ;)

I feel your pain, I lost 4Mbps a few weeks ago, modem was holding on a lower SNR of 4.9. Silly me, I rebooted the modem. :no:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:20:39 AM by marjohn56 »
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »

You could always pray to the great BTOR deity for them to roll out vectoring...  ;)

I feel your pain, I lost 4Mbps a few weeks ago, modem was holding on a lower SNR of 4.9. Silly me, I rebooted the modem. :no:

Just like me lol, I wont be rebooting anytime soon, as the billion likes to sync at 6.4 SNR it will be below 70   :-\
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

HughPH

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »

I'm seeing similar symptoms - but why is it so random? (I also plotted SNR over frequency and time and it looks like 66% of the D1 band is getting chopped, specifically.) I've had it happen for 15 minutes, or sometimes for 18 hours.

I also wrote some code for the HG612 that 'watches' the Attainable Rate and resyncs if there's enough gain to be achieved by doing so. An extension of that code plotted the graph. If there's interest, I could make the source available so that others can write interfaces for other modems - as well as making it more user-friendly and more fully-featured. Porting to Mono should be pretty easy - then perhaps it could be run on a Pi or something.

mhisani

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »

Crosstalk.. and an instant halving of my SNR? If it's any help I also monitor a friends connection on the same cabinet and his SNR has not wobbled in the slightest.

HughPH

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »

Crosstalk will be between lines that are in close proximity, probably your immediate neighbours where the lines meet overhead, or where they're sent underground to the cabinet.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »

Happened to myself also. Noticed my SNR went from a perfect 6db for 9 months to a 4.9db overnight. I lost around 4-5mb due to it too.

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »

I'm seeing similar symptoms - but why is it so random? (I also plotted SNR over frequency and time and it looks like 66% of the D1 band is getting chopped, specifically.) I've had it happen for 15 minutes, or sometimes for 18 hours.

I also wrote some code for the HG612 that 'watches' the Attainable Rate and resyncs if there's enough gain to be achieved by doing so. An extension of that code plotted the graph. If there's interest, I could make the source available so that others can write interfaces for other modems - as well as making it more user-friendly and more fully-featured. Porting to Mono should be pretty easy - then perhaps it could be run on a Pi or something.

I'd be interested in your code, my 'disturber' had their modem of for 10 minutes yesterday.. of course, I only noticed that this morning! :)
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

anything