Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will I ever get FTTC?  (Read 12196 times)

nick9one1

Will I ever get FTTC?
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »

I've been looking forward to getting fibre. I've been checking the status changes on http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ regularly, and today my cabinet became enabled!

unfortunately it says it is unavailable. "Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds."

Which led me to KITZ.

I've done some research on my PCP cabinet from what I've read here.

I can tell I'm on cab 83, and have plotted all the other homes on the same cabinet. None of them can get fibre yet. (I haven't been able to find the actual location of the cabinet on street view yet)

if this cabinet is FTTC enabled, why can no one using it order fibre?

the orange line is where I estimate the line runs (all the properties both sides come up as cabinet 83)
Green dots can get FTTC (all on different cab's)
Red dots cant get FTTC (all on cabinet 83)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:21:11 PM by nick9one1 »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Will I ever get FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

Hi, have you actually tried to place an order?

Down here, circa 2 years ago, I was an early adopter.  The 'availability checkers' were still saying 'not yet', but one day I saw an engineer fiddling at the new cabinet, that had spouted up a few weeks earlier.  I asked him if he knew 'when', to which the reply was 'now' - he was actually connecting up one of the neighbours as we spoke.

A phone call to Zen and I was enjoying FTTC just a few days later.  The availability checkers continued to say 'not yet' for quite some time after I was connected.  Can't say for sure whether the Openreach 'where-and-when' was among those that were wrong, my memory is not that good.

Looks like you live in  nice spot.  :)

nick9one1

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »

Hi,

Yes I have.. unfortunately the supplier (BT) tells me its not available and suggest ADSL.

It just seems strange how the openreach checker went through all the steps for cabinet 83 (Build, Connect, Activate etc.). But anyone that is connected to 83 cant order it.

Maybe i just need to be patient?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »

I've been looking forward to getting fibre. I've been checking the status changes on http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ regularly, and today my cabinet became enabled!

unfortunately it says it is unavailable. "Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds."

It would help to know the name of the exchange.. -- (edit looking again at the map, I see its the Newark exchange)

What does http://dslchecker.bt.com/ checker say for your line? Its more authoritative than the where and when site.. [it might be worth using both the telephone and address checker to see if they give different results)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:54:02 PM by gt94sss2 »

nick9one1

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »

thanks again...

here is what it says.

I also came across this website http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=498669&postcodeloc=13622&cabinet=P83

I've checked quite a few of the addresses here ^ and FTTC isn't available for anyone on cab 83.
I'd be interested to know what the % figures mean
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:13:06 PM by nick9one1 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »

The cabinet should be somewhere near NG24 1XG.

I guess its just not ready yet - keep an eye on the DSL Checker -that will show the same availability data ISPs see.

As its being funded by BDUK, the checker probably won't mention FTTC until its live - in areas covered by BT's commercial build it would probably list the approximate FTTC speeds by now..

nick9one1

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »

ok, thanks for your help. I will do!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »

I've checked quite a few of the addresses here ^ and FTTC isn't available for anyone on cab 83.
I'd be interested to know what the % figures mean

The % figure is the number of properties in that postcode connected to cabinet 83.

Depending on where the cabinet is, I think the only people not likely to get decent fibre speeds are those living on Tudor Close.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »

Unfortunately I am unable to determine the cabinet number, so a visit to the Job Centre in Lombard Street will be required . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 05:44:50 PM »

I can also see the new one outside the job centre, which is in Streetview May 2015, but not in 2014. No number visible. Other than that, there's a complete dearth of cabinets, except small ones that seem more likely to be VM. Lots of green wheelie bins though...

It looks like the exchange is actually behind the job centre, so that one is likely to be a cabinet for old EO lines. If it was there a year ago, then timing might suggest it is cab 81, which is already live. However, all the cabs in the 80's look to be ones centred around the exchange - so perhaps they are all new PCP's for EO lines.

Do you know if you have always been on cab 83? Or if that cabinet number has recently appeared in the checker?

My suspicion is that this is a conversion from an EO line, and that the database updates have not gone through smoothly - or just not completed yet. The checker tells us that "fibre multicast" is present, which is a marker that tells us a live FTTC cabinet is there, in my experience. It seems likely that the data that *ought* to give the checker an idea of whether FTTC is available is not correct - so has perhaps not been initialised correctly in the EO conversion process.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »

I've had a quick gander on our Net Recs and I don't think I've seen as many Cabs placed in such a small locality ?? There are 6 Cabs (55, 81, 82, 83, 85 and 88). The furthest two are only 200mtrs from the Exchange !!

The good news is that all 6 Cabs show as having a sister-DSLAM linked to them, so if you don't have access to FTTC yest I would guess you will sooner rather than later ??

nick9one1

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »

thank you for everyone's input.
Some Interesting comments..

I'm not sure if the property has always been on 83, I've only been here a couple of months.

nick9one1

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »

the exchange is definitely behind the job centre, I can see quite a few openreach vans parked back there. And the cabinet outside it is 81.

I found cabinet 83 today, its about 300m from my house, outside Mill View apartments. It looks brand new, and isn't on street view. Its has what looks like a Huawei 96/128 FTTC cabinet next to it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:31:01 PM by nick9one1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »

I'm pleased to know that you have finally managed to track down EMNEWAR_P83 and its "fibre twin".  :)

Yes, with just a glance, I can see that the "fibre cabinet" contains a Huawei SmartAX MA5616 MSAN (used solely as a DSLAM). The MA5616 backplane has space for four line-cards and the total number of ports available depends entirely upon the port density of the line-cards that are installed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

nick9one1

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »

I'm pleased to know that you have finally managed to track down EMNEWAR_P83 and its "fibre twin".  :)

Yes, with just a glance, I can see that the "fibre cabinet" contains a Huawei SmartAX MA5616 MSAN (used solely as a DSLAM). The MA5616 backplane has space for four line-cards and the total number of ports available depends entirely upon the port density of the line-cards that are installed.

So this is good news?

I'm about 300m from the cabinet, and currently get around 16Mb. 
Pages: [1] 2

anything