Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: iPhone 4  (Read 21562 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iPhone 4
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »

As stated, it's all simply too peanuts to be an issue. 

If an App sells for £0.79 then the govt takes 20% vat, even before Apple and the Developer share what's left.  Add the fact that hardly anybody is will to actually pay for an App these days, not even a £0.79 App, they have to be free to get the downloads. So the dev has a load more work, building in a 'freemium' mechanism and/or working out how to incorporate sponsored ads.    And then again, if you do get any income from ads, or In App purchases, govt's take their taxes, Apple take their cut.  In the unlikely event the developer actually has anything left at all, there's always HMRC income tax (or corporation tax), etc, to look forwards to. ::)

As a user though, I'm as tight-fisted as anybody else.  My spend in the App Store, for iOS Apps, has probably not exceeded £15 in total, in the past 4 or 5 years.   :D

@Mike, your bigger concern, having a smart phone where you hadn't before, might be the acceptance that adding data to your plan really is useful.  Maps wherever you go, instant weather, browse the news when sat having a pint, access to your favourite forums.... you may be tempted.  I'm not with EE, but most of the PAYG plans allow data for extra £few a month, that's amounted to far, far more than the app purchases.   :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »

@Mike, your bigger concern, having a smart phone where you hadn't before, might be the acceptance that adding data to your plan really is useful.  Maps wherever you go, instant weather, browse the news when sat having a pint, access to your favourite forums.... you may be tempted.  I'm not with EE, but most of the PAYG plans allow data for extra £few a month, that's amounted to far, far more than the app purchases.   :)

My PAYG is not the new monthly plan  :o it dates from about 10 years ago my SIM does.  :D
But yes I understand what you are saying. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »

When my daughter bought her new iphone 6 they copied her data, apps, photo's etc over from this iphone 4 to her new phone.
This left them all on this phone she has given me, the problem is trying to do a 'full erase' 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201274
it asks for her apple ID, putting her ID in then it wants to connect to the internet but I have taken the SIM out and deleted the WiFi settings.

Why does it what to do these connections ?, will it try to erase her iphone 6 as well ?.
All I want to do is a factory reset. >:D
I have to go to the EE shop to get a replacement SIM should I ask them to erase it .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 12:29:34 AM »

Not entirely sure, but is it possible your daughter has left the phone still signed into 'find my iPhone'?

That is an incredibly powerful feature, that effectively bricks stolen iPhones, until the previous owner says it's OK.  If so, she will have to disable it...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

And

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702?locale=en_GB

If she has already definitely  turned off find my iPhone, and you still can't reset, recovery mode might help...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 09:01:21 AM »

Hi

Sevenlayermuddle is correct and it is find my iPhone which has locked your device (Apple iPhones iPads etc)

You will need to connect the iPhone back to the Internet, wifi is fine and you could use any internet connection or wifi, then presumably you do not know these credentials, so you need to ask your daughter to login to find my iPhone and remove the iPhone

This then removes the device and unlocks it for the new owner, and why your iPhone needs to be online is to allow the unlock, otherwise it will still retain the original lock

This is a great feature, which helps stop theft of the device is stolen as it is a brick to all except the rightful owner

Be careful though, if you forget your Apple ID, or password or security questions answers, then you may not be allowed back into your find my iPhone or device.  I would advice you set a backup email address as well

Please do not complete a factory restore unless the lock has been removed, as it will just reload a fresh install of iOS/firmware, then start up as new iPhone but stop unless you can input the correct locked Apple ID and password, but with these credentials, would start to put all photo/apps etc back into iPhone

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »

Thank you that's helpful  :).
Yes its 'find my phone' (as she has come home for a few days I have just asked her and she did knot know it had that setting)!.

I have not had time to read the links yet (to night) will it show up on iCloud she now has two phones ?

Is it normal you only have one iCloud account for all devices ?.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 10:01:10 AM »

Hi

You need to do the following

Put the iPhone 4 live on the Internet (wifi is acceptable)

Login to find my phone (Google search find my phone login)

Once logged in, as long as both iPhones are registered to same Apple ID, and iPhone 4 is live over the Internet, both iPhones will be displayed, if iPhone 4 is not live, this will still show but show as greyed out, stating not on line

If iPhone 4 online, select iPhone 4, then remove, which should erase, remove and unlock the iPhone 4

Logout

Restart iPhone 4

This should now allow normal setup for the new user

I would advise you to create an Apple ID of your own, and turn on find my phone, so you have same protection

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »

Repeating much of what John has just said as he beat me to the post button, but sending anyway....   :D

Yes, she'll have two devices showing up on when she logs into iCloud right now.  It should be obvious which one's which, but if you want to demonstrate, shed'd be able to 'play a sound' on one at a time.

Once it's all sorted it is well worth ensuring that you also have Find My iPhone enabled.  With iOS 9 it's pretty much the default and hard to do otherwise, but ISTR with iOS 7 you still had to opt in.

It brings peace of mind if your phone ever goes missing.  You can remotely erase it.  You can make it display a message saying "I'm Mike, here's my number please call me" so if found, you might get it back.  But in the hands of a thief it's a brick - he can't unlock it as he doesn't have the passcode, and he can't restore it (factory reset), unless you release it using iCloud.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »

Update.
Last night I connected it back up to our WiFi and my daughter turned off  'Find My Phone' , I then turned the WiFi off again and 'Erased' the content ok.
It looks like I need to now get a smaller 'SIM' or cut mine down  ;)  before I can do anything else.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »

Excellent.   :)

The cutting down sims, I have always been wary of doing so in case I end up with sim that's jammed in the slot, and only myself to blame. 

Until recently most mobile operators would send out a new sim in the post, foc.   They still hand them out foc but they're getting a bit awkward,  as scammers were using as a ploy to get your number, thus enabling themselves to by-pass two step authentication by the banks etc.

Vodafone even refused me a replacement SIM face to face in the shop a few weeks back, even though I had phone and old SIM with me.  Problem  was, even though it was just PAYG, they had it registered to better half and, apparently, I don't look like a girl.   So I had a wasted journey, she had to go herself later, and take id.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 10:08:01 PM »

Well its all gone well, I got a free SIM of the correct size from the T.mobile / EE shop.
The phone working well now, just going through all the settings  :'(.
Thank you for your help. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »

:thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 12:40:32 AM »

The next problem..
When this phone was given to me by my daughter I backed it up to iTunes on a spare computer, Now I have erased the phone and put My details on it, I come to back it up now on that same computer, It Still Thinks it's still my daughters phone (I think it is using the Mac address of the phone).
It had started to put back her photos  >:D which I can not remove .

Help.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 12:52:24 AM »

It may be something to do with synching.  Check the settings in iTunes.  I had something similar in that it was putting any photos and apps from my ipad backups on to my ipod.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »

I don't actually use iTunes much TBH, but I'm guessing... The problem may be that you inadvertently synced the device with iTunes on the PC, before erasing it.   So these photos are now in your iTunes library, and syncing back to the phone when you connect.

There are instructions here for removing photos from iTunes, as distinct from removing them from the phone...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201313
In iTunes, locate and click on your device.
Click Photos.
Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
Click Apply.

Having done so, sync the phone again and hopefully they'll be gone.

You may also want to delete the back up that was taken while it was still your daughter's.   I think the iTunes GUI provides for that, though not sure where to point and what to click. :-[
Pages: 1 [2] 3