Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Appaling speed tonight on TalkTalk  (Read 8484 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: TalkTalk throughput slow, line speed is OK
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 11:38:18 PM »

Just to add that the problem seems to have gone away.  I've just re-run speedtest.net and now get

Down : 16.72Mbps
Up     : 0.90Mbps

Which is pretty much what I'd expect when it's working OK.

Will be interesting to see if it's a peak time congestion thing, or indeed if it comes back at all...

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Appaling speed tonight on TalkTalk
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 11:42:44 PM »

I replied with some stats in the other thread (very different ip) but also just now that the problem has gone away, I'm back to ~16Mbps down, which is what I'd expect.

For anyone interested in automatic speed logging via a Raspberry Pi, this article might be of interest
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/43fi39/i_set_up_my_raspberry_pi_to_automatically_tweet/

I was just tinkering with that (my Python is very basic, so I was struggling, but I did get it to work.
(I didn't want the twitter feature so just commented that out)

It also needs speedtest-cli which can be read about here http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2015/03/measuring-internet-speed-in-python-using-speedtest-cli/

The script on the reddit page seems to have a bug where the date format is saved in an odd format, ie 1456270028290.41 which makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I might have a go at modifying the code enough to just run every 30 mins or hourly and log the stats in a file so I can compare throughput over time.

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk throughput slow, line speed is OK
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 07:59:33 AM »

I'm a very different ip, 78.144..

As I'm on ADSL2+ I wonder how much of the connectivity is shared, ie how likely is it there's a common fault affecting fibre and ADSL?

Ian

OK that means the issue is probably further into their network. I believe that once your request hits their backbone there is little if any difference between ADSL and VDSL.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »

This morning my Speed of Me test shows a much more acceptable 51.36 Mbps down and 16.06Mbps up. This has to be some severe congestion in their network somewhere which builds up towards the late afternoon/evening. Hopefully I might see some response to my thread on their Community forum.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »

A few weeks back congestion hit a number of TTB users.  It seems to have vanished now and all seems OK.  A characteristic was ping packet loss on TBB BQM tester.  see e.g.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4455594-ttb-speed-fluctuations.html?vc=1

It may be worth running the TBB  BQM to see if that shows your issue.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

I seem to remember that the BQM tester is problematic on a ZyXEL VMG8924 router and right now I dont have time to get it working. I'll wait and see what (if anything) I get on the TT forum.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 03:36:05 PM »

Still no reply on the TT forum but I've been running some speed tests occasionally today and each time the results have been good, I suppose I should really wait till this evening for a true test.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »

As usual fobbed off by TT, asked which router (as I dont use theirs) and asked for pings and traceroute to Google UK site. Not that I need help but their help page on how to do pings and traceroute has nothing for Linux on it  ::)

Spoke too soon bout speed, my downstream is now only just over 23Mbps.

Stuart

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »

When I had congestion on my exchange, my graphs were appalling - and the drop in speed substantial. See attached - peak time will be when you see if it was just a temporary issue.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »

It's fine here for me tonight, seeing expected speeds of 16Mbps down, .90 up and pings around 15 ms.  So it may be that whatever is affecting you wasn't the same problem I saw yesterday.

I hadn't realised until today - even when the pings were consistent, they were twice what they are now - yesterday the reliable pings were around 30ms, today it's 15ms.

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 08:06:01 AM »

Well mine is still playing up during peak times. I'll wait and see what they say on my TT Community thread today.

Stuart
Pages: 1 [2]

anything