Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Appaling speed tonight on TalkTalk  (Read 8485 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Appaling speed tonight on TalkTalk
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:39 PM »

I was wondering why my download of a BBC1 program was taking so long. My download speed has dropped as low as 8mbps tonight on TT large with a sync at 64mbps. Anyone else seeing problems on the TT network tonight!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Appaling speed tonight on TalkTalk
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »

No problems here in The Cattery, Stuart. (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.)

But I do not have a FTTC based service.

P.s. I guess you actually mean 64 Mbps ?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »

Yes I always forget the capital M! I have down a speed of me test which shows 14.82 Mbps down and 12.31 Mbps up, the TT speed tester shows 36.2Mbps down and 18.8 Mbps up but I guess that is all within their network. Still not good enough as I should be getting at least 50Mbps I believe as I have been interleaved thanks to DLM some weeks go. Prior to that I was seeing a 72Mbps sync speed. A bit earlier tonight I saw just a tad over 8Mbps down speed on the speed of me tester  >:(

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:38:45 PM »

Hmm . . . That is a pretty poor result, even allowing for the fact that it is a TalkTalk service.  :(

You mention using the TT speed tester -- ever since the events of last October (2015) I have not been able to get that speed tester to work.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »

Hmm . . . That is a pretty poor result, even allowing for the fact that it is a TalkTalk service.  :(

You mention using the TT speed tester -- ever since the events of last October (2015) I have not been able to get that speed tester to work.

I just ran another (spped of me) test this morning and got 60.13Mbps down and 19.49Mbps up which tends to indicate a network issue somewhere. The TT speed tester has moved to http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ according to one of their OCEs on the community forum.

Stuart

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
TalkTalk throughput slow, line speed is OK
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »

I wondered if anyone else here was having problems with TalkTalk speeds this evening?

ADSL2+ connection, been up for 20 days, synch speed of 20201 down, 1020 up.

Today I noticed some web pages taking a long time to load, some seemingly timing out.  (Possibly last night as well).

speedtest.net shows a throughput of 3.97Mbps down!  :o  The graph shows a peak at start of around 5Mbps, fluctuating up and down (but never very high) ultimately tailing off.  With my synch speed I'd expect throughput of around 16Mbps.

A reboot of the PC, the network switch and finally the router did not change anything.

After the reboot, I've now got a line speed of 20201 down, 1020 up, but a throughput of 3.63Mbps according to speedtest.net

It also seems that pings are a bit variable

ping to www.google.co.uk :
Timings pretty much 29-32 ms but 4 out of 32 timed out.

After the reboot I tried a few more, 1 out of 12 timed out, out of the 11 successful pings, 10 were around 29-32 ms as before, but one was 271ms.

Something isn't right :/

Anyone else on TalkTalk seeing this?  Any thoughts what might be up or what else I could try?

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk throughput slow, line speed is OK
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »

Yes see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17072.0.html last night and tonight and I have fibre but was seeing very bad speeds, see also this thread on TT forum. So you are not the only one.

Stuart

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »

Yes see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17072.0.html last night and tonight and I have fibre but was seeing very bad speeds, see also this thread on TT forum. So you are not the only one.

Stuart

Ah, thanks!  I had a quick skim of posts on Kitz for something similar, but missed that.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »

I started a different thread in ignorance, but I'm seeing the same thing right now on the South Coast, on my ADSL2+ connection.  I half-noticed it last night I think.

Synch speed is just over 20Mbps but speedtest.net reports throughput of 3Mbps or less, and the graph fluctuates up and down as it tests.  (I would usually see around 16 - 17Mbps).

Pings are a typical 30ms, except that a few time out, and the occasional one is over 200ms.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 10:38:50 PM »

I went to use the TalkTalk speed tester, and had a lot of problems finding it.  It now seems to be using the ookla one, with some added dialogue to ask your phone number.

I logged into "my account" on TalkTalk, and via the help pages, ended up at this worryingly anonymous looking site!
http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

That too reports very similar and very slow speeds for me right now.

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:38:59 PM »

Stuart

Ah, thanks!  I had a quick skim of posts on Kitz for something similar, but missed that.

Ian

I've been running speed tests on Thinkbroadband, the TT site and Speed of Me, all give very different results in the evening with TT being the best but still well below what I expect for fibre with a 64Mbps sync, easrlier Speed of Me gave me about 5Mbps both up and down  :o :o Just a thought what is the first part of your IP address? Mine is 80.47...... if we are on a similar IP that could be the issue?

Stuart
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:41:06 PM by broadstairs »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »

All fine on my end, but this sounds a lot like the time we had congestion at the exchange :-\

My graphs from the SamKnows Whitebox all shows good for me the past 48 hours.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »

All fine on my end, but this sounds a lot like the time we had congestion at the exchange :-\

My graphs from the SamKnows Whitebox all shows good for me the past 48 hours.

Yes but that means 2 exchanges with severe problems, not impossible but not highly likely. Cold be a network issue if we are on similar IPs.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 10:52:25 PM »

Ian I've added some comments in your other post. What is the first part of your IP? Mine is 80.47..... could be a network issue if we are on similar IPs. As I mentioned at around 6am today my speeds were what they should be 60Mbps down and 19Mbps up on Speed of Me test site, so it can be OK just not when it gets busy.

Also looking through the treads on the TT Community it seems others have issues as well.

Stuart

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »

I'm a very different ip, 78.144..

As I'm on ADSL2+ I wonder how much of the connectivity is shared, ie how likely is it there's a common fault affecting fibre and ADSL?

Ian
Pages: [1] 2

anything