Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: looking for some advice - problem with master socket - which option is best  (Read 16731 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: looking for some advice - problem with master socket - which option is best
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »

You can get gigabit on cat5e. I do

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

You can get gigabit on cat5e.

b*cat nods in agreement.

1 Gbps uses all four pairs in the cable, whereas 100 Mbps will only use two pairs in the cable.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

Hi

We have used cat5e for many years in gig links, no issue and all have been fluke tested/certified.

There is 1 additional aspect which most forget, and that is the link to broadband speeds, now if broadband speed were higher then your link to internal network, then this becomes the slowest link, but consider that some router gives 1 gb link to internal network, but broadband is currently around 300 mbps, (and that's expensive) why would you install cat6, particularly when you consider fttc is 80/20 max (at the moment) and it may take years for speeds to reach anywhere close to 1 gbps, so we always say overkill.

I am aware Google have started 1 gbps in 5 USA states for under preverlige users, and uk scientists have pushed 5g to 1 gbps, but in the real world, we not see those speeds any time soon I think

Also, personally, for anything higher then 1 gbps I prefer fibre and not cat6

Many thanks

John

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »

You can get gigabit on cat5e. I do

Yeap my bad!... :-[

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »

I suppose you can get 10G on cat6 which you can't on cat5, but anyway you may as well start thinking about fibre these days.

One advantage of cat6 is that the copper is thicker so you should get a better VDSL connection.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »

whereas 100 Mbps will only use two pairs in the cable.
Which is why I use 2-pair CW1308 phone cable for my in-home LAN. Much easier to run and hide.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »

whereas 100 Mbps will only use two pairs in the cable.
Which is why I use 2-pair CW1308 phone cable for my in-home LAN. Much easier to run and hide.  ;)

A good tip.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »

A good tip.  :)
Thanks. SWMBO still has no idea we have a cabled LAN connection to the PVR in the lounge, part of it follows the route of an old (now unused) telephone extension (replaced cable pretty much like with like) and it continues very unobtrusively along the skirting board.
Total about 25 to 30 metres due to the meandering route between almost opposite extremes of the house, but no-one except me (and a lot of people online!) knows it's there.

100mbps is fine as I'm only using it for broadband access, currently below 20mbps and even if I get FTTC it will only be about 60.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »

Hi everyone

I thought I would update this as I had some time today.. Where ideally I would like the modem and router to be is by sheer luck the first extension in the circuit when the house developers wired the house. We don't use any of the others as we have wireless handsets. I noticed on the extension I wanted to use they had brought the other cables to the backplate and connected them here to make the other sockets work.

So I disconnected the other sockets and used one of the spare pairs from the master socket which goes to the first extension and connected this to the A&B data extension points. I obtained a cat5e faceplate and connected 2 wires on to 4&5 and used a cat5>rj11 modem cable. The modem has duly connected and at present has only lost what appears to be a tiny amount of sync rate when compared with the master.

Looking at the figures its about 700k on the download and around 900k on the upload. Perhaps this could be DLM but maybe this is a workable solution for us as will save paying BT and or a lot of work to get the cable to the back of the house. I suppose the question is could I live with the small drop in speed to make life a whole lot easier.. ::)

Is this method deemed acceptable

Many thanks

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »

It certainly sounds like it could be OK, but you will really be able to tell when you see the level of errors  on your line.

Note an RJ11 plug will fit that socket and work the same.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »

ok thanks - I Better hook up the 8800nl and see what it reports. I guess I need to be looking at crc, fec & ses ?

cheers

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »

Hi everyone

I thought I would update this as I had some time today.. Where ideally I would like the modem and router to be is by sheer luck the first extension in the circuit when the house developers wired the house. We don't use any of the others as we have wireless handsets. I noticed on the extension I wanted to use they had brought the other cables to the backplate and connected them here to make the other sockets work.

So I disconnected the other sockets and used one of the spare pairs from the master socket which goes to the first extension and connected this to the A&B data extension points. I obtained a cat5e faceplate and connected 2 wires on to 4&5 and used a cat5>rj11 modem cable. The modem has duly connected and at present has only lost what appears to be a tiny amount of sync rate when compared with the master.

Looking at the figures its about 700k on the download and around 900k on the upload. Perhaps this could be DLM but maybe this is a workable solution for us as will save paying BT and or a lot of work to get the cable to the back of the house. I suppose the question is could I live with the small drop in speed to make life a whole lot easier.. ::)

Is this method deemed acceptable

Many thanks

Certainly sounds a good result and is perfectly acceptable.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »

just trying to get hgstats working on the 8800nl, would anyone mind having a look at the data when I get it working please, thanks ::)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »

If you can run it 24*7 that would be ideal.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »

yeap its up and running now 24/7   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D - search for user SKYTESTER
latency graph activated too

not much data at the mo but would appreciate some feed back as it grows. I think due to the nightmare of getting the cable to the back of the house from the inside &  if this not suitable long term I think I will probably just get the socket moved from the outside and take the hit - trust the developer/bt to fit it the master in the most non usable place ever  :lol:

now all my kit has moved to where I want it I really don't want to move it back. Happy to lose a bit of sync rate if this seems like a workable option longterm which in turn = happy life/wife/family lol

many thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything