Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: looking for some advice - problem with master socket - which option is best  (Read 16669 times)

Re: looking for some advice - problem with master socket - which option is best
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »

Wired properly, moving your master socket will have no impact at all on your speed. The signal has already travelled x00 metres to your premises, another 30metres won't make any difference. Your choice if you want to leave the modem where it is and extend by 30M of Cat6 to the router, again, won't make any difference to your speed.

The OP isn't talking about ADSL so 30m extra WILL make a difference on VDSL services given he isn't getting 80/20 now.

If you can tell the difference that 30M extra will make in real world scenarios I would be more than surprised.

Then I'm sorry but you really don't know what you're on about.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »

Hmm much debate. In an ideal world I would like to move the master socket to where the router should be but this will mean making the main cable longer and definetly not shorter. I don't want any further drop in sync rate so if the best option is to extend the lan port from the modem to the router via cat6 (which will be external) and leave the master where it is and not extend the vdsl service then thats what I will have to consider by the sounds of it. ..

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »

Your choice, if you rewire the network side you won't see any drop in sync speed. If you move the master socket you may see a slight (1-2Mb/s) drop in sync. As I said previously, not sure that you would notice that in the real world unless you are streaming multiple HD films simultaneously or regularly downloading huge files.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 04:28:32 PM »

Your choice, if you rewire the network side you won't see any drop in sync speed. If you move the master socket you may see a slight (1-2Mb/s) drop in sync. As I said previously,

Previously you said there would be no drop

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »

If the master socket move results in less "line length" between you and the FTTC cab then that would be the optimal solution.

If not then running CAT5e (easier to fit than CAT6 & does 1Gbps) from whatever you use at the master socket (modem/router) to where you actually need the service would be optimal.

Do note that if BT get their way and we end up with g.fast several years on then your phoneline length will be even more critical than it is now. Lunacy on wheels but that's the way we're heading.

Connecting CAT5/6 to the FTTC connection point at the master socket isn't something I'd recommend on anything other than ADSL as it will introduce a discontinuity in the transmission line. Basically CAT5/6 doesn't have the same impedance as the BT twisted pair and this is not a "good thing" for VDSL2 (FTTC) and even more problematic with g.fast.

For those of you thinking "oh it doesn't matter" - that's why you're not RF engineers ;)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »

Given that BT installers are known to fashion data extension kits from catv  with even a couple of pairs removed, what cable should they be using to have the same impedance as BT twisted-pair?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »

If the master socket move results in less "line length" between you and the FTTC cab then that would be the optimal solution.

If not then running CAT5e (easier to fit than CAT6 & does 1Gbps) from whatever you use at the master socket (modem/router) to where you actually need the service would be optimal.

Do note that if BT get their way and we end up with g.fast several years on then your phoneline length will be even more critical than it is now. Lunacy on wheels but that's the way we're heading.

Connecting CAT5/6 to the FTTC connection point at the master socket isn't something I'd recommend on anything other than ADSL as it will introduce a discontinuity in the transmission line. Basically CAT5/6 doesn't have the same impedance as the BT twisted pair and this is not a "good thing" for VDSL2 (FTTC) and even more problematic with g.fast.

For those of you thinking "oh it doesn't matter" - that's why you're not RF engineers ;)

Thanks. I think I am going to just buy a reel of cat 6 and extend the cat6 from the lan port of my modem to the other end of the house. This will leave the phone line totally alone and will only be extending my network. I am sure we can put up with the modem in the hallway.
Thanks to all who contributed.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »

Your choice, if you rewire the network side you won't see any drop in sync speed. If you move the master socket you may see a slight (1-2Mb/s) drop in sync. As I said previously,

Previously you said there would be no drop
As far as I'm concerned 1-2Mb/s is virtually no drop.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »

Where are you getting the 1-2Mb/s from?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »

Same place as everybody else, finger in the air. Until the job is completed it is impossible to tell if (a) there will be any drop at all and (b) what it will be if there is one. We don't know the quality of the existing installation.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »

I think that's the answer skynewb was after

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:05 PM »

Given that BT installers are known to fashion data extension kits from catv  with even a couple of pairs removed, what cable should they be using to have the same impedance as BT twisted-pair?

Who knows? It'll depend on what decade your phoneline was installed I'd guess - different gauges/different metals/different cable bundles have been used over the years. I'd be surprised if BT had a clue for a lot of historical plant. Edit - and I'd be astounded if they'd ever had figures for 15/30/60/100MHz insertion losses/xtalk in the first place for that plant.

However what you have to bear in mind is that this is going to become a lot worse if :

a) g.fast is the chosen method to compete with Virgin;
b) Ofcom go full retard & permit sub-loop unbundling on Thursday 25 Feb.

ADSL works up to 2MHz, VDSL2 (FTTC) works up to 15MHz in the UK (30MHz elsewhere), g.fast works up to 110MHz. The higher the frequency, the more problems you have with old copper due to shortening effective antenna lengths. Edit2 - as the effective antenna length shortens then sections of cable with faults/dodgy joints are going to be radiating/receiving a lot more than they do now.

Still I suppose it keeps people in work.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:42:49 PM by rizla »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »

Why not run the network  cable in as a data extension and then see what speed you get, if the drop is too much then it's an easy job to fit network sockets at each end and have the modem by the master socket.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »

. . . VDSL2 (FTTC) works up to 15MHz in the UK . . .

Huh? 17 Mhz, I believe.  :-\

Let's check: 4096 x 4.3125 kHz = 17664 kHz

i.e.~17 MHz (with some left over!)  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »

. . . VDSL2 (FTTC) works up to 15MHz in the UK . . .

Huh? 17 Mhz, I believe.  :-\

Let's check: 4096 x 4.3125 kHz = 17664 kHz

i.e.~17 MHz (with some left over!)  ;)

Quite true, well spotted and mea culpa.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything