Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: looking for some advice - problem with master socket - which option is best  (Read 16714 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats

Hi,

I hope someone can help please.

Our master socket is in the worst possible place to run all my network gear from and also has no power supply. I made a temporary  power extension and  installed modem+ router plus other kit so things work for now. My original goal was to get the master socket moved possible by BT but I am concerned that due to already only getting between 40-50mb on my fibre service if BT make the cable longer by having to move it is this gong to result in a sync rate drop ? - I tried to run the modem from an internal extension for testing and it lost about 10mb on the sync rate but was ok again when returned to the master. I have thought of one other option but again unsure if there will be any issues. What would happen if I fitted a cat6 cable (needs to able to be used externally) from the modem then use this to get it back to my router's wan port where I want it. No more than 30metres. Would this create any network performance issues?

I would appreciate it if someone could offer some advice with regards to the master - will moving it by BT result in sync drop due to extending the original cable up to no 30m max - - any other ideas on this or if I get a network cable installed (cat6) from the modem termination point and run this to the desired location would this result in any network performance loss? Ideally it would be great to have the router and modem out the back but I really don't want to drop sync rate any lower than it already is...

Many thanks for any assistance offered..
cheers

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Not sure whether this helps but i just got my home phone cabling rewired and the main socket moved into a different room and my connection has (marginally) improved.  It cost £170 all-in.

The technician rewired right from where the line came into the house replacing all the old cabling.

Personally I don't think there is much risk if the work is done by a competent technician.

C

licquorice

• Reg Member

Wired properly, moving your master socket will have no impact at all on your speed. The signal has already travelled x00 metres to your premises, another 30metres won't make any difference. Your choice if you want to leave the modem where it is and extend by 30M of Cat6 to the router, again, won't make any difference to your speed.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

If you have more than 100M of Cat 5e between the modem and the router you might have issues. 30M of Cat 6 is guaranteed to be fine.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

If your property is fed by an overhead cable then it may be possible to alter where the existing cable enters, it may even be possible to shorten the cable depending on the route it takes.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats

Wired properly, moving your master socket will have no impact at all on your speed. The signal has already travelled x00 metres to your premises, another 30metres won't make any difference. Your choice if you want to leave the modem where it is and extend by 30M of Cat6 to the router, again, won't make any difference to your speed.

Ok thanks for the info. I think the best solution is to get the master moved then there is no equipment stuck in the hallway. The cable comes in at the front of the house so perhaps it will be be extended round from there. I suppose worst case if bt wont do what I ask them to do then I could fall back on the cat 6 option from modem lan port to router...

I dont want our internal wiring used so do you think they would agree to running the cable on the outside of the house ground level - dont need the original extensions re-connected either.

Cheers!

Thanks again.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

There won't be a problem at all. You're the customer, you pays the bucks, you can have the cable re-directed anyway you wish so long as it doesn't infringe on our health & safety policies ...... ie: working in lofts (enclosed spaces) etc.  :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats

Sounds good. Thanks. And defo no drop in sync if they do it properly?

licquorice

• Reg Member

No, why would there be.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Ha ha ..... I'm not willing to stake my reputation on somebody else's workmanship, or the actual true distance of the cable being re-run, or DLM intervening etc .......

As mentioned by Licq though, the distance involved shouldn't have any great impact at all on the synch speed.  :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: looking for some advice - problem with master socket - which option is best
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »

My paranoia of the main cable being extended lol   ???

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »

The OP isn't talking about ADSL so 30m extra WILL make a difference on VDSL services given he isn't getting 80/20 now.

Edit - ah he's got one of the old modems and is talking about wiring from modem<->router, not extending the pair run.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:34:49 PM by rizla »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:34 PM »

But the distance is insignificant compared to the distance already travelled. As Ronski pointed out, depending where the wires go currently, the distance may even be shorter.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »

The OP isn't talking about ADSL so 30m extra WILL make a difference on VDSL services given he isn't getting 80/20 now.

If you can tell the difference that 30M extra will make in real world scenarios I would be more than surprised.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »

But the distance is insignificant compared to the distance already travelled. As Ronski pointed out, depending where the wires go currently, the distance may even be shorter.

It isn't insignificant at all if we were talking about using CAT5/6 to extend the phoneline for VDSL (FTTC) services that already can't run at max speed.

OP seems to be suggesting a long run of network cable from the BT modem to his router which would be fine as its not extending the circuit length for VDSL services.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything