Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What modem  (Read 2717 times)

KIAB

• Reg Member
What modem
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »

Looking to replace a elderly HG612, it didn't like the recent hot weather, :( so what's the best modem to go for, have looked at DrayTek Vigor 130, plus others to used with a RT-RT-N66U router, or is it better to go with a combined VDSL modem and router
& I'm on a Huawei cab.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: What modem
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »

Personally I'd go for a combined router/modem. I run a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A here on VDSL, worked well on G.INP when it was previously enabled on ECI cab, should be fine on Huawei. Others will no doubt suggest more routers.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »

I'd second broadstairs on the Zyxel 8924. Certainly worked very nicely on my Huawei cabinet.
I'm currently using (I like to play with these things  :-[) a technicolor 589vac V2 (the white one) and that's proving very good too.
It doesn't sync quite as fast as the Zyxel but there's not a lot in it.  It's also more locked down UI-wise than the Zyxel, but whether that matters depends on how you plan to use it.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »

Hehe, can't resist adding my two ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A to the comments.

I have dual WAN and use them as modems on both lines, they talk to a pfSense router - I have a relatively poor (long) lines and they work great - I have tried most of the other chipsets (e.g. Trend, Lantiq) and for my lines there is nothing that can touch Broadcom for stability.

Personally, I like separate modem and router as it allows me flexibility with wireless upgrades, modems and router hardware but one of the the good things about the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A imho is that it is a relatively decent router so if you did get one there is no harm trying it. 
I have a pfSense router and I doubt I will go back to a 'normal' router with a proprietary firmware but you need to be quite geeky / interested in that kind of stuff to make it work well i.e. its not plug and play.

Cheers

J

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies, Chunkers I'm another who prefer seperates, gives me flexibilty, but I'm willing to give the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A a try.

The seperate modem market has seem to stagnated a bit, very few new models coming out. :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:44:18 AM by KIAB »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »

KIAB,

If you are only going to use the modem part you could save a few pennies by going for the VMG8324-B10A as it's the same as the 8924 except it doesn't have the 5GHz wireless. Even the firmware is the same.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »

I'll throw another two ZyXEL models into the mix . . .

VMG1312-B10A
VMG1312-B10D

I use one of the latter, on my longish line, carrying a G.992.3 based service, and have no complaints.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »

Thanks all, going to mull things over, have borrowed a Draytek 130 to try, & have also got a Zyxel 8924 off Ebay.

anything