Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving .com domain and five mailboxes to Plusnet  (Read 6489 times)

2pods

Moving .com domain and five mailboxes to Plusnet
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »

Also posted on plusnet's hosting forum:

In the dim and distant past I had five mailboxes set up with plusnet, being say, joe@something.plusnet.co.uk, fred@something.plusnet.co.uk etc .etc etc
Then I bought something.com and redirected joe@something.com, fred@something.com, etc to the relevant plusnet mailboxes. Eventually I thought I may as well use the actual mailboxes hosted on the hosting company as I had at that point gone to Zen.

Anyway that was a long time ago, and is now extortionate. I understand that its £18 to transfer a .com domain in, not sure about how much per biannual but it will probably be cheaper then Namesco.  I don't need any webspace, but I do need five *@something.com mailboxes..Currently I pay extra for mailboxes,

Are there any passing plusnet support bods who could tell me how much would it cost ?

**something.com being an example, not the actual domain **
Thanks
Peter

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Moving .com domain and five mailboxes to Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »

1and1 do 20 mailboxes for £1.99/month +vat.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »

I can strongly recommend virtualnames.co.uk, I've used them for many years, they're extremely reliable and full-featured and their tech support is human, personal and friendly. Annual cost for ten mailboxes is £10-20 something like that. They have support for SMTP send mail server too, over TLS/SSL if you wish, and support SPF, blocking lists, redirection, umpteen mailbox aliases and powerful junk mail filtering which is configurable and flexible. The only thing lacking is IPv6 support which I might try talking them into. They do domain names and brilliant Apache web hosting too.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »

Ouch at £92.83 for a .com renewal  :ouch:
The days of plusnet offering it for free for co.uk are long gone, it looks like now its £30 although the price list is a bit confusing.

My own hosts charge £7.49 to transfer in a .com which includes a one year renewal.  (co.uk is free)
Unfortunately they don't do email only hosting but their starter package at £29pa includes 25 email addresses and 2GB of webspace.

Im wondering if you can do something with gmail - depends who the domain is currently registered with and how much that is costing you.
Fasthosts at 0.99pm with 5 mailboxes only is about the cheapest I can find.

ETA
Just seen weavers post

£10 for advanced email or £20 for basic hosting...  and £9 for a .com looks a good deal
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »

And they really are brilliant humans at UKServers Ltd (virtualnames.co.uk) no faceless corporate. I've done transfers in to them on behalf of my own customers who I used to sysadmin for when I was working (for myself), and every one of my business customers were put on to their systems. I don't think I've ever had an outage with them in all the (very) roughly fifteen years or so that I've been using them.

2pods

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »

I love this forum !

Every time I've asked about anything, replies have been swift, helpful, and interested; showing both patience and and  good humour.

I'll take a good look at all of it. Thanks as usual foe everyone's help.
Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 06:30:38 PM »

yvw.   Hope you manage to get something sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »

How about using a suitable domain hosting company just for the domain, then point the MX records at Google Apps (free for up to 10 user).   That works for me.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:19:39 PM »

How about using a suitable domain hosting company just for the domain, then point the MX records at Google Apps (free for up to 10 user).   That works for me.

Totally agree that Google Apps is a splendid solution, but Google Apps free ceased to be free late 2012.  The free edition  no longer exists, although those who were already registered were allowed to continue under what Google called 'legacy'.   :)

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en

I know this because I had two domains registered with Google Apps before the 2012 cutoff, that
I now regard as precious resources.     The really lucky ones were those who joined earlier than I did, wasn't it 100 users in those early days?

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »

I have used virtual names for E-mail for several years too, as said very reliable, my only gripes are the max attachment size that you are allowed to send is a wee bit too small sometimes, and there's no option available to increase the 200mb max mailbox size
Though if you prune /sift out all that spam and unimportant E-mails to free up space regularly it helps, most others are offering 1gb of space for e-mail's

2pods

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »

This is my yearly Namesco. If I didn't have (or could remember which was tied to which forii etc) five mailboxes it would be cheaper.

Renewal of something.com for 1yr                     Mar 27 2016   £24.98
(Price includes Private Registration for 1 years)

Starter Hosting for something.com for 1yr            Mar 27 2016   £49.90

Authenticated SMTP Access for something.com for 1yr  Mar 27 2016   £17.50

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NET AMOUNT    £92.38
VAT           £18.48
TOTAL DUE    £110.86
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All because I couldn't be bothered with the other four characters in .co.uk   :lol:

It was originally with plusnet, then they outsourced to someone, then they were bought by Amen World who turned into/got bought/ were them all along Namesco. Needless to say it went up over time .
Peter

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:14 PM »

I have my domains with 1&1, then just redirect my emails to my ISPs account or wherever, and I have way more than 5 email addresses set up as redirects are free. All I pay is the yearly domain fee.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »

I have my domains with 1&1, then just redirect my emails to my ISPs account or wherever, and I have way more than 5 email addresses set up as redirects are free. All I pay is the yearly domain fee.

I used to do that, with freeparking's hosting.  It worked ok, but points to beware are...

For incoming mail, what will the forwarding service do when forwarding fails, as it might from time to time, eg if your ISP is legitimately congested?   I had the distinct impression, in the case of freeparking, that sometimes it would just discard. :(

For outgoing mail, if you want it to appear to come from your domain, you can easily do so by just setting the appropriate address in the header.  It works, but is the same tactic that spammers and scammers  use, to make it appear that their mail appears to come from a bank, or HMRC, etc.  For that reason, your outbound mail may be more likely to be flagged as spam by the rescipent's spam filter.

If it works for you Ronski that's fine, I'm not questioning it.   But it may not be for everybody. :)

2pods

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:39 PM »

....lots to take in.......it's not looking quite THAT as expensive now just to save the faff.

It's very easy to "...just go with the flow, and don't mind the dough..." to quote Usanian  :-\
Peter

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 10:35:06 PM »

Hi

I was not going to post on this topic but we started as an ESP, in 1996, and have progressively continued to build our company.

I could offer email service, which comes with hosting for 20 plus vat per annum and transfer domain for 10 plus vat (with 1 year renewal included) and 10 plus vat per year (subject to any increase imposed to us), and you can have 100 email addresses, unlimited aliases and if needed, 1 MySQL database.

We only do commercial and not public, so we do not tolerate spam sending, and you would have your own control panel to control your domain, email, email spam filter, hosting etc.

If you would like to take up my offer, please PM and I'll pm you the website to register

I hope that helps and hope you find what your looking for
Pages: [1] 2

anything