Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Line Dead?  (Read 33534 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: Line Dead?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »

The FEC and interleaving parameters are the R, D, I and N parameters from "--show" and "--stats"

The only ones currently in the database are B M T R S L which are ones I was playing with (see attachment) - adding others is not an easy task and you'd have to persuade BE and roseway to do this in the first place before anything else was attempted.

Plus I'm trying to partially rebuild the house which is occupying quite a lot of time to say the least  :'(  not to mention trying to support this as best I can.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:11 PM »

The FEC and interleaving parameters are the R, D, I and N parameters from "--show" and "--stats"

The only ones currently in the database are B M T R S L which are ones I was playing with (see attachment) - adding others is not an easy task and you'd have to persuade BE and roseway to do this in the first place before anything else was attempted.

Plus I'm trying to partially rebuild the house which is occupying quite a lot of time to say the least  :'(  not to mention trying to support this as best I can.

Where do I go to show these figures are that area of the page you screenshoted looks totally different to mine. Good luck with the house rebuild. Remember, your home is more important than a donationware program!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »

Where do I go to show these figures are that area of the page you screenshoted looks totally different to mine. Good luck with the house rebuild. Remember, your home is more important than a donationware program!

Earlier post:

I tried showing some of the currently missing params a couple of weeks back but then discovered that only one of the two programs is actually uploading them.. .

This is on the dev system only and it does not work with DSLstats hence it isn't live.
Tony
My Books!

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 10:23:36 AM »

Earlier post:

I tried showing some of the currently missing params a couple of weeks back but then discovered that only one of the two programs is actually uploading them.. .

This is on the dev system only and it does not work with DSLstats hence it isn't live.

Oh right, sorry. I didn't see that. Oops.

Ok, so DLM made that negative change to my line and no ES have occured on the line since. DLM is so tight. It likes to run before it can walk...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »

Low priority over sorting the house out, but...

This might turn out to be just academic, but I started wondering what we could do with the parameters you do have access to.

I happened to notice that, on my line at least, we can construct one of the missing values - N - from the ones above:

N = B + R + 1

But this construction only works because M=1.

I wonder how many lines have M=1, or how it varies, and whether we can calculate N in other scenarios.

Having N probably allows I to be calculated, knowing it has to be a sub-multiple of N, and (IIRC) a prime.

I think you might have D in the database in another guise, as we can already plot the interleaving depth, can't we?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »

That works for me:

Code: [Select]
Bearer 0
MSGc: -6 26
B: 130 237
M: 1 1
T: 0 42
R: 8 16
S: 0.0518 0.3781
L: 21468 5374
D: 16 1
I: 139 127
N: 139 254
Q: 16 0
V: 14 0
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

Does this look better?

Yes.

I get the same failure to ping the default gateway; I don't know why this is, but I suspect it relates to the IP configuration data that the ISP sends the router during establishment of PPP.

My ping to the DNS server works - but this may depend on the same thing with PPP, or it might be the way your ISP has set up their DNS server. I deliberately changed settings in my 8800 to stop using Plusnet's DNS servers, and to use Google's instead.

Those failures probably don't matter.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »

I think you might have D in the database in another guise, as we can already plot the interleaving depth, can't we?

If D is Interleave Depth then yes, it's INT in the summary stats at the top and also currently has a graph (or two if you include Bearer 1 where available). I can add that in as D eventually, once Eric has added to the upload which he is now kindly working on :cool:  It'll be on the Wide graphs only.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:02:15 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »

DSLstats is already uploading D as interleaving depth, so you already have that value.

As mentioned in a PM, I'm now uploading the missing values, and I'll release a new version after you confirm that the extra items are in the right places.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »

Motivation to sort out my own logging properly. Must get the Pi working ....  :-[

@roseway - identical framing data to my line.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »

Guys, just talking about something a bit more related to my problem. Ooo.

Is my line looking stable enough for DLM to get rid of my banding any time soon?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

As has been said many times, it's impossible to predict if, or when your Banding might be removed.

It could happen within days or it might take months, it might even never correct itself (until a DLM reset) as happened to me. 

Patience!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »

It might be and they might already be in the database - if I knew what it or they were.

- R and N show the amount of FEC overhead (R bytes in a block of N bytes is the extra parity data for FEC protection; it allows R/2 bytes to be corrected). 5% is low (old-style) or standard (with G.INP), 18-20% is standard old-style, 30% is very high.
- D and I show the amount of interleaving (depth and "width", aka interleaving block size). Multiplying D and I gives the relative scale of delays/latency.
- N should be a multiple of I.

Although I have this information listed on the linestat errors page, because of the alphabetical layout, it perhaps doesnt make it quite so clear the relationship between those particular figures.

On reflection and after seeing wombats post,  it may be a good idea for me to also add this on the interleaving page,  where its not lost amongst other things like LoF or LoS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2016, 09:35:06 PM »

I happened to notice that, on my line at least, we can construct one of the missing values - N - from the ones above:

N = B + R + 1

But this construction only works because M=1.

I wonder how many lines have M=1, or how it varies, and whether we can calculate N in other scenarios.

Having N probably allows I to be calculated, knowing it has to be a sub-multiple of N, and (IIRC) a prime.

I wonder if M is actually a multiplier

Using these stats

Code: [Select]
MSGc: 154 -6
B: 0 0
M: 2 0
T: 2 0
R: 16 0
S: 6.4000 0.0000
L: 40 0
D: 3 0
I: 32 0
N: 32 0
Q: 0 0
V: 0 0

N = M * (B + R)

Stop

hang on no..  blonde moment.... that doesnt fit where m=1

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:37:51 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 02:33:46 AM »

@kitz

Those numbers started to do my head in! I couldn't work out how they could manage B=0 ... because that would imply that the entire frame was overhead.

If I try to read them logically, it seems to be saying
B=0 -> zero bytes in MUX data frame
M=2 -> two MUX data frames in RS codeword
R=16 -> sixteen bytes of parity overhead in RS codeword
N=32 -> thirty two bytes in an RS codeword

Would this be
a) N = R + (M*B)
or
b) N = M * (R+B)

Using the English language, I'd assume (a) was more correct. But (b) appears to pan out in real use. I guess these framing parameters are from Bearer 1. Perhaps the rules are slightly different there.

But back in bearer 0, with N=B+R+1, I couldn't honestly figure out why the "+1" should be there.

More thinking needed. I suspect I'll feel the need to dig out the spec again. I recall from last time that G.INP tied the base VDSL2 spec down to using more limited framing options.

Although I have this information listed on the linestat errors page, because of the alphabetical layout, it perhaps doesnt make it quite so clear the relationship between those particular figures.

On reflection and after seeing wombats post,  it may be a good idea for me to also add this on the interleaving page,  where its not lost amongst other things like LoF or LoS.

I can see that it would be useful to see that relationship, at least for those wanting to dive into the depths.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9