Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband drop-outs - had my house telephone wiring replaced !  (Read 2536 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Broadband drop-outs - had my house telephone wiring replaced !
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:02:46 AM »

Our ADSL 2+ connection suddenly developed a fault a while back and after a frustrating few weeks (more for my kids than me) I decided to pay a Telecomms technician to come and sort out our wiring as I establshed it was to blame for most of the frequent drop-outs we experienced (but not the poor connection speed we have). When plugged into the 'Test' socket (very inconvenient and involved running network cable through the house) we were averaging 2 drop-outs per day and achieving the following performance which is the gold standard for Chunkers Towers:

After a complete re-wire of our phone line (£170) and plugging back into the normal socket in the office we get marginally better performance and the same 2 drop-outs per day :

The original wiring in our house was 1973 and extension was wired in by a total bunch of cowboys I mistakenly employed to do my extension,  I am pretty happy - I think a marginal speed improvement overall and now I pretty much know any problems are not in our house.

I am about 1.5km from the exchange and also have some horrible aluminium wiring to my location, according to the Kitz Max speed calculator I have double the noise I should (theoretically) have.

Question : has anyone ever had any success trying to get BT to improve line quality in my kind of situation ?

I am guessing the answer is NO and I just have to lump it, but its nice to check  ;D

Chunkers

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Broadband drop-outs - had my house telephone wiring replaced !
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »

If its dropping out two times a day when plugged into the test socket then you clearly have a fault external to your property, presuming of course the modems not faulty.

Is there any noise  on the telephone,  if so report a voice line fault, if not then try another modem and if the drop outs continue then report them to your ISP.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »

You could try a different modem, but perhaps best done after you've had your line checked out. Do you need to change ISP, do they know what they're doing?

In any event, I would also definitely
 * get a Tandy RJ11 modem-wallsocket cable (aka adslnation) - see     http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15910.0
 * fit an SSFP (Openreach faceplate)
 * consider getting hold of a Tacima mains filter unit
 * if you possibly have power quality problems, consider getting hold of a small UPS with a Belkin AV mains conditioner unit on the output from it (as well as the Tacima, that's what I use)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice,
  • I'll check out the cables, I have a few different types already, all supplied with various devices and i haven't noticed much difference between them yet
  • Mains power should be OK as it is on APC UPS
  • I have a couple of other modems I will be trying with different chipsets (I have a Zyxel VMG8324 and a D-Link 320B I have yet to test)
  • If I keep getting the drop-outs I might put in a quick call to BT

Cheers!
Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »

If you are on a UPS, definitely use a Belkin AV mains conditioner with it, as I think my APC one has a staircase output (not a pure sine wave) although I'm not sure, but playing it safe. If so, then it will reduce your noise levels.

DLink: I myself use the DLink DSL-320-Z1 too (h/w rev Z1), strongly recommended on an ultra long line (mine is >7300 m). Supports MTU 1500+8 too, RFC 4638, and you are on 21CN, and so I hope your router does so too. I haven't managed to find out anything about that router model. If it does support RFC 4638, then you can test support for IP MRU/MTU 1500 (rather than being stuck with 1492).

anything