Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Radio Detection Of REIN.  (Read 42566 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Radio Detection Of REIN.
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2016, 11:19:11 PM »

My own understanding is as follow, happy to stand corrected....

RFI is interference that affects radio frequencies.   It is not necessarily caused by radio transmitters, it often radiates from (for example) badly designed or faulty switch mode power supplies, among other culprits.   Radio transmitters operating within legal frequency and power bands emit RF energy, but that is intentional, it is not RFI.

REIN, by its acronym, is impulse noise, such as may emit from the spark generated by the brushes of an electric motor.   

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:15 PM »

Shine comes from an electrical arc causes RF and a radio transmission is also RF and Rein is also RF so all of them should come under Radio Frequency Interference as it covers the whole AM and SW band and further

T/Storm lighting also causes RF splatter which you can here on 612KHZ
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:01:56 AM by NewtronStar »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2016, 12:21:17 AM »

Indeed, REIN may cause interference at radio frequencies, hence it qualifies as RFI.

My old (now deceased) vacuum cleaner used to cause flashes to appear on my TV.   I'd say that was RFI from an impulsive (REIN) source.

But suppose I were to fire up an illegal 'pirate' radio station, that interfered with peoples' broadband.   Surely that would be RFI but not REIN?   Similarly I'd argue that a 'bad' PSU would emit RFI but, as the source is from a badly designed oscillator, there is no 'impulse, so it should not be called REIN.   :-\

Apols for the indulgence in pedantic detail, it is simply a topic that I've begun to think about recently through no better reason than boredom, and that the weather's a bit too miserable to go out much this time of year.   :)

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2016, 08:59:19 PM »

I'm curious what is the way of REIN getting to the router. Mains or rather induction on phone cables?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:11 PM »

Rein/RFI does not get inside the modem from the mains socket all or most of the interference is being picked up from DSL cables or internal wiring and even on the D-SIDE and all the interference  is then seen by your modem as noise.

For example those mains Powerline adapters don't effect the mains it's the RFI output produced on the mains cable that bombards us with this RF noise and that gets into our broadband cables and as you know ends up at the modem.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »

I agree with sevenyearmuddle -   RFI or REIN is the source mechanism  of the interference -  it can travel by induction, conduction or radiation, quite possibly by more than one at a time.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »

Is power supply one of the things which move REIN to the router?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »

Is power supply one of the things which move REIN to the router?

Yes but only if the PSU has become faulty there should be RF suppression components built into the circuitry but if that fails then RF noise bleeds over to other devices.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]