Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Having a strange issue on my connection.  (Read 2985 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Having a strange issue on my connection.
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »

For the past 2 days in the late morning my Internet connection will suddenly hang i.e. browser will keep at 'waiting...' and I noticed my Instant Messenger will disconnect. Then about 10 seconds later the IM will reconnect and the browser will load the page (or I have to refresh).

When this as happened and was quick I attempted to load up HG612 stats and it took it a while to connect, and when it did I noticed there was a burst of error seconds, between 35 to 45 of them, and also the SNR on the download dropped from 6.3 to -1.4 for that minute. Then after that minute the error seconds would return to normal levels and so would the SNR go back to 6.3.

Does this sound like a familiar issue to some people?

P.S. I'm not losing sync with the cabinet. The connection stays connected. So far this as only happened between 11am and noon.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Having a strange issue on my connection.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »

It might be useful to keep the stats logging running for a while.

If the issue isn't there tomorrow (Saturday), it could be just a weekday problem. i.e. caused by a business that doesn't work weekends.
Or, having a rough idea where you live, it might be something coming from the Cemetery's electrical supply?

Is the bakery still operating?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »

. . . the Cemetery's electrical supply?

I have to ask -- Is that just the one, combined, business?  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »

:o   :giggle:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »

It might be useful to keep the stats logging running for a while.

If the issue isn't there tomorrow (Saturday), it could be just a weekday problem. i.e. caused by a business that doesn't work weekends.
Or, having a rough idea where you live, it might be something coming from the Cemetery's electrical supply?

I'll keep the stats running.

Today it wasn't as bad. I think there is some roadworks happening on Fraser Street, which goes right past my cabinet. I had noticed a couple of things a few weeks ago when my SNR shot up to 8.5 on both uploads and downloads. It was until recently in the 5's, then now its in the mid 6's.

I think the bakery as closed now, which is a shame. I used to love the smell of fresh bread from there :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:04:37 PM »

:lol: :lol:

No. The baking arm of Oldham's death business is at the other end of the town  ;)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

Well, it didn't do it over the weekend and for the rest of the weekdays.

I just watched it happen again, and this time I had HG612 open as it happened.

The process seems to cover 2 minutes.

In the first minute the download SNR dropped to 2.4 (usually 6.3), and 40 error seconds happened. During this first minute webpages won't load, IM chat networks disconnect. Though I never lose sync with the cabinet.

In the second minute the SNR came back up to 6.3 and another 20 error seconds happened. webpages load and the IM reconnects.

After minute 2 the error seconds drop back to the usual 1 or 2.

It always seems to happen about 11:50am. I say always but I've only noticed it happen about 6 times. I have my IM open and it tells me if I've been disconnected and reconnected.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »

Well today is Saturday and the sudden temporary drop in SNR happened, along with a burst of ES's twice today resulting in my IM being disconnected and websites no longer loading.

Then I'm watching my line with HG612 stats logging things and notice around dinner time (from 4:53pm onwards) The SNR drops in to the 5's (its usually in the 6's) and ES seconds increase. The SNR seems to be up and down a lot for some reason.

Since my issues with the phone a few weeks ago, the OR guy I think changed my connection position in the cabinet, and though I do achieve full speed, my stats seem to be more unstable than my previous connection. Luckily so far its not triggered DLM's interleaving.

It's very odd though this issue suddenly appearing. I didn't do anything at 4:53 to cause a big SNR drop i.e. I didn't turn anything off or on.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:08:23 AM »

Do you have any long term ongoing stats records/graphs that could be used to determine what patterns there might be relating to the timing of these events?

See the attached example that shows what happens when what we tracked down to be a water pumping station near the user's house that switched on between the hours of 23:00 & 05:00 every day.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »

How do I get the full monty image? I've noticed that its not in the current stats folder.

If I was to leave HG612 running for 24 hours, and these events happened during that, if I was to run snapshot stats and graphpd stats, would that record the data needed?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:52:08 PM »

The full Monty montage should be in the Ongoing Stats folder.

With Ongoing Stats switched ON & Daily graphing set, the montage should be generated automatically (see screenshot)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:58:45 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »