Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Beefy UPS  (Read 18239 times)

Re: Beefy UPS
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »

I actually can't take over the whole of the desk, and I can't physically do the work to invent a ups, so I'll have to stick to commercial ones that have expansion packs to boost the runtime dramatically. We have our generator after all.

Well you may not need a UPS with expansion packs if you do a worst-case test in terms of power consumption while streaming/downloading to wireless clients. ie max it out.

I suspect you may need to put the WAP on a different UPS to get your required runtime.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »

I can certainly put the WAP onto a separate UPS, but then I'm not sharing power draw efficiently. Basically whatever piece of kit dies first, it's the end of the whole party.

Does anyone know whether or not WAPs are thirsty?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 03:21:36 PM »

Do you think my runtime ideals for say 300W are remotely doable for less than say £500?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »

I can certainly put the WAP onto a separate UPS, but then I'm not sharing power draw efficiently. Basically whatever piece of kit dies first, it's the end of the whole party.

Does anyone know whether or not WAPs are thirsty?

considering that wifi on a phone/laptop kills the battery, I'd say theres a strong likelihood of them being relatively thirsty.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »

@loonylion - this Zyxel runs at 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz simultaneously. So it might well be thirsty.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »

would it not make more sense to invest in a generator autostart system rather than trying to get multiple hours of battery backup for half a dozen different devices?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »

I find it difficult to locate C (coulombs) or J. I want to know how much energy or charge is in the store if I am going to get a rundown time. The manufacturers are very keen in advertising VA or W, not surprisingly because it determines how much kit you can plug in to the device, provided it doesn't die from energy starvation before the kit has had enough time to shut down cleanly, the whole point.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 12:10:17 AM »

I find it difficult to locate C (coulombs) or J. I want to know how much energy or charge is in the store if I am going to get a rundown time. The manufacturers are very keen in advertising VA or W, not surprisingly because it determines how much kit you can plug in to the device, provided it doesn't die from energy starvation before the kit has had enough time to shut down cleanly, the whole point.
Unless you have a real need to keep going for hours (which you will find expensive), the main reasons for having a UPS are:
  • To allow a clean shutdown when the power goes.
    You will need a "smart" UPS and something to monitor it.
    I use apcupsd with the master connected to the UPS and slaves polling the master.
  • To protect your kit from power fluctuations when the mains goes off, on, off ... which happens here every six months or so. This can fry a computer.
    Has not happened to me since I started using a UPS.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2016, 12:29:37 AM »

> Unless you have a real need to keep going for hours (which you will find expensive

I don't want to pay more than £500, and it's crystal ball gazing anyway as to how long a power cut is going to last, as it might simply need us to pull our finger out and get the generator on. Crystal-ball gazing is difficult because we don't get power cuts that often, so don't have enough experience. I don't have anything to monitor shutdown, such PCs have their own separate APC UPSs for that, not under consideration here. This is just about keeping modems alive to keep away the wrath of the DLM Gods and then keeping the LAN and Internet up, for convenience.

I wonder if I would get more value-for-money (more J/£) from eBay. Sounds like a recipe for frustration and knackered batteries.

So I suppose I'm most interest in what I can get that is fairly expensive and gives lots of C (ie A h) can't help sticking to the SI units.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 12:45:58 AM »

Ah, sorry, I missed your already having UPS equipped PCs.
Powering (generally) 12v DC kit direct from batteries might be the way to go. Camper van / motor home / caravan technology springs to mind. Visit a breaker?
I can not remember if I bought my UPS new or second hand, but the replacement batteries came from Ebay. Not the cheapest, but significantly cheaper than APC branded replacements.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2016, 01:05:59 AM »

> Powering (generally) 12v DC kit direct from batteries might be the way to go. Camper van / motor home / caravan technology springs to mind.

;D
Do you have any experience of such a thing Adrian?

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »

Do you have any experience of such a thing Adrian?
Only in that I have a camper van with the usual main and leisure battery arrangement, and can safely power 12v devices when the camper van is plugged in to the mains.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-240volt-Mains-to-12volt-20Amp-Power-Supply-Battery-Charger-PO120-/151701419065 might do the job for you. A visit to a breaker might well be a lot cheaper.

I do sometimes look at the burgeoning number of PSUs (2 router/modems, firewall, Samknows box, phone base station, access point, disk caddys, ...) plugged in to extension leads and wonder about a single 12v DC supply to rule them all.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 02:14:57 AM »

> I do sometimes look at the burgeoning number of PSUs (2 router/modems, firewall, Samknows box, phone base station, access point, disk caddys, ...) plugged in to extension leads and wonder about a single 12v DC supply to rule them all.

Indeed. Would they be happy running off 12 V ? (Too high for some?)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 02:23:20 AM »

> Only in that I have a camper van with the usual main and leisure battery arrangement, and can safely power 12v devices when the camper van is plugged in to the mains.

Apol for being thick, :-[, but does that mean that you supply miscellaneous kit with a fixed 12 V from one device which in turn takes its power from 240V mains ? (So you get rid of all the usual individual little mains three pin mains to DC PSUs?) Or does the device take power from a battery and AC mains?

I've managed to confuse myself, as its late, I'm half asleep and the (NHS) drugs should be kicking in.

This could be the way to go?

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »

Yes, I am talking about one device+battery that can feed multiple 12v DC devices.
Only 12v DC devices, as others might expel their magic smoke.

Sorry you need NHS drugs, but I hope the side effects are pleasant. I am about to remove the cork ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything